Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #346 of 400
1000000471.jpg
1000000473.jpg
1000000474.jpg
1000000475.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #347 of 400
i'm on song 3, can't really give impressions besides nothing is wrong. first blush is they sound a ton like the other 50th anniversary cans ... as they should.

starting with the leather pads, i prefer the feel of microfiber so i'll switch to those sooner than later.

they are flat beautiful - love the cups and just the overall art/industrial look.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #348 of 400
i'm on song 3, can't really give impressions besides nothing is wrong. first blush is they sound a ton like the other 50th anniversary cans ... as they should.

starting with the leather pads, i prefer the feel of microfiber so i'll switch to those sooner than later.

they are flat beautiful - love the cups and just the overall art/industrial look.

on behalf of all head-fi fostex fans we hate you. jk. lol.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #350 of 400
hello everyone,

So I'm a fan of the 50's. I have the MRK1 or 2 (not sure which one...I purchased it in 2006.) Just got the 5050's and they are considerably better than my older ones. What would be a HP that does what the 5050 does but just all around better? Cheers

hopefully somebody with 5050s and T60s will chime in as they are somewhat similar but not quite. The Tx0s all use the same driver but are tuned to open, semi and closed so vary according to that. I have the T20s which have very delicious bass but imo aren't a really good all around good hp and not even a good bass genre hp, it's all about that bass, that bass, no treble. sorry couln't help myself. lol. you may want to look at modding or argons though if you're looking for "all around" better.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #352 of 400
lol...I hate that song BTW. Not really want to MOD per se. Just curious as to a ready to go HP that does what the 5050 does...just 3 notches up. Or 2...or even 4 lol.

not a big fan of that song either. just saying the t20 bass thumps hard and fast with not much treble. lol.

the T60 have a really great soundstage, nice airyness, great for gaming, great for music, a little light on bass. may or may not be bright depending on your tastes. they're on the edge for me. right on the cusp of too much detail. I like details but too much detail can be distracting. if you read a few posts up I broke the left cup adding cotton inside left cup but had successful surgery. I left the tack on the baffle which helped tightened up the bass that is there quite a bit. maybe digs down a little more but nothing to write home about. the tonality of the wood cup is what separates it though. from the T20 and from my recently sold BD COPs. it sounds so natural compared to any hp I've heard before. I notice the microphone differences on YT a lot more now. I don't know how many notches that is. if I was gollum, the T60s are my preciousssssss and you'd have to rip them from my bloody hands.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #354 of 400
not a big fan of that song either. just saying the t20 bass thumps hard and fast with not much treble. lol.

the T60 have a really great soundstage, nice airyness, great for gaming, great for music, a little light on bass. may or may not be bright depending on your tastes. they're on the edge for me. right on the cusp of too much detail. I like details but too much detail can be distracting. if you read a few posts up I broke the left cup adding cotton inside left cup but had successful surgery. I left the tack on the baffle which helped tightened up the bass that is there quite a bit. maybe digs down a little more but nothing to write home about. the tonality of the wood cup is what separates it though. from the T20 and from my recently sold BD COPs. it sounds so natural compared to any hp I've heard before. I notice the microphone differences on YT a lot more now. I don't know how many notches that is. if I was gollum, the T60s are my preciousssssss and you'd have to rip them from my bloody hands.
Tell me one person on HFi who isn't Gollum. lol Cheers

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #355 of 400
about 200 songs in on the 6050. listening has been across the hipdac3, topping L50 and schiity lyr+ / did some listening on a qudelix5k but not enough to justify any impressions. everything has been CD quality to DSD512

easy to drive, all amps have been on low gain, even the hipdac - powermatch was off.

i'm left wanting for nothing with these. bass to sparkly bits, the gangs all there. they have width for days, on chameleon by herbie hancock, the song builds from the middle and just keeps expanding. same with chocolate chip trip by tool, it runs around willy nilly between your ears, using your whole head as a playground. garth brooks-the thunder rolls, the ... thunder and guitar are completely separate and occupy their own space. nothing is muddled or competing. GB himself is singled out in the middle of my head while the drums and dualing guitars are perfectly clear.

that's my biggest take away so far, the L-R have as much precense and detail as the center image. eyes closed, room dark, i find myself mentally "looking around" the image and being able to easily focus on pretty much anything in the mix. it's not left middle right so much as your head is now the amphitheater and the band is going to take advantrage of every corner.

ray charles and diana krall - you don't know me / she and he take up position just to the side of the center - even when those two are in full belt, the strings and drums and piano are all there and all clear as a bell.

comparable cans ... these make me think of the sundara or the 600s by sennheiser. both of those require EQ to really shine, and while they can image comparably, they do not have the spatial abilities that these do. IMHO they are both a little lacking in various areas and once you get the competing frequencies out of the way or lifted they open up magically. these do that without the need for slider manipulation.

nothing is perfect, but with so many of my cans i'm left nitpicking x y or z. not so with these.

i don't currently have my 5050s - my buddy picked them out of the stable to borrow for awhile... however once i get them back it will definitely be time for some direct ABing. as i don't remember them being this detailed but i won't speak to that in any ... detail, as i don't have them at my dispoal right now.

that's a very early first blush - i've owned cans i loved at first and calmed on later. i've owned cans i hated at first and warmed up to after they sat in a box for a year or seven.

i'll continue to listen to these and update if anything changes. but this was $400 very well spent, thanks to alto music for getting them to me and correcting their initial shipping mistake - they paid both ways for the fix and i couldn't ask for a better experience.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #356 of 400
about 200 songs in on the 6050. listening has been across the hipdac3, topping L50 and schiity lyr+ / did some listening on a qudelix5k but not enough to justify any impressions. everything has been CD quality to DSD512

easy to drive, all amps have been on low gain, even the hipdac - powermatch was off.

i'm left wanting for nothing with these. bass to sparkly bits, the gangs all there. they have width for days, on chameleon by herbie hancock, the song builds from the middle and just keeps expanding. same with chocolate chip trip by tool, it runs around willy nilly between your ears, using your whole head as a playground. garth brooks-the thunder rolls, the ... thunder and guitar are completely separate and occupy their own space. nothing is muddled or competing. GB himself is singled out in the middle of my head while the drums and dualing guitars are perfectly clear.

that's my biggest take away so far, the L-R have as much precense and detail as the center image. eyes closed, room dark, i find myself mentally "looking around" the image and being able to easily focus on pretty much anything in the mix. it's not left middle right so much as your head is now the amphitheater and the band is going to take advantrage of every corner.

ray charles and diana krall - you don't know me / she and he take up position just to the side of the center - even when those two are in full belt, the strings and drums and piano are all there and all clear as a bell.

comparable cans ... these make me think of the sundara or the 600s by sennheiser. both of those require EQ to really shine, and while they can image comparably, they do not have the spatial abilities that these do. IMHO they are both a little lacking in various areas and once you get the competing frequencies out of the way or lifted they open up magically. these do that without the need for slider manipulation.

nothing is perfect, but with so many of my cans i'm left nitpicking x y or z. not so with these.

i don't currently have my 5050s - my buddy picked them out of the stable to borrow for awhile... however once i get them back it will definitely be time for some direct ABing. as i don't remember them being this detailed but i won't speak to that in any ... detail, as i don't have them at my dispoal right now.

that's a very early first blush - i've owned cans i loved at first and calmed on later. i've owned cans i hated at first and warmed up to after they sat in a box for a year or seven.

i'll continue to listen to these and update if anything changes. but this was $400 very well spent, thanks to alto music for getting them to me and correcting their initial shipping mistake - they paid both ways for the fix and i couldn't ask for a better experience.
Haven't heard the 60 or the 6050. I did hear the 50 and all mod'd variants and the 5050 is the only one that's to my liking even out of the box. They did hit it on the head with the RP 50th series tuning. Hopefully I can get my hands on the 6050 soon.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #357 of 400
Update after 1+ week of owning the T5050:

The more I listen to them, the more I feel vindicated for going ahead with blindly purchasing a pair (and simply relying on everyone's feedback in this thread). Having listened to stupendously expensive headphones through the years (name it, most probably I've tried it), I am utterly gobsmacked with the T5050's value-to-price proposition. Granted, I also have pretty capable electronics at my disposal (my current source > DAC > HP amp setup easily exceeds USD3K, so I am spoiled with my decoding/amping equipment) but a USD200 headphone shouldn't sound this good.

So as much as I lust for a pair of T6050..them T5050s are equally special (and arguably are better bang for the buck).

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #358 of 400
Someone has any suggestions for a cable replacement on the 5050. I quite dislike the cable plus I want a direct 4.4 not the 2.5.

Any suggestion on a decent not that expensive one?

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #359 of 400
Hart cables

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #360 of 400
Hart cables
I've enquired with Hart and I got told that it wasn't possible for them due to Fostex using a proprietary connector. James at Hart seemed quite annoyed as he has a pair and wanted to use his own cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back