Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Apr 5, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #376 of 400
I went for the blue one. I really like it.

1712352750439.jpeg

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #377 of 400
Yup, that's cool. I count on e so I will know if it's ok.

Cheers!

I bet someone here would be willing to buy the cables and ship to you at cost or low fee. probably still cost >100 but not much. the T60 fanboy in me also wants to convey you bought the wrong headphone. lol. jk. I'm glad amazon dropped the ball on my t50/50s which got me the straight connector on the T60, plus the awesome tonality. you could also see if a group in EU wants the cables. get somebody in US to buy and ship and then distribute. might be wishful thinking but only takes a few minutes to post and wait a week or 2 and see what happens.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #378 of 400
you could also see if a group in EU wants the cables. get somebody in US to buy and ship and then distribute. might be wishful thinking but only takes a few minutes to post and wait a week or 2 and see what happens.
Hmm,
That's not a problem, mate. I have a collection of headphones; I am in no rush.
When the opportunity comes, I'll grab it.
I just posted how shipping works between the US and Europe...
And this one doesn't work well for me...
so waiting for another opportunity, or the solution I have ordered might actually be good.
Thanks!

Cheers!

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #379 of 400
Just got mine today A0878, a nice addition to my RP collection (Mk2 Argon, Mk2 Mad Dog, Mk3 Mayflower, Dekoni Blue and T60rp), Sounds very good out of the box. Its very similar to a T60rp in my opinion. The only thing I changed are the earpads, I installed a sheepskin 100mm earpads for comfort, didnt notice any change in the sound.

20240407_152439.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #380 of 400
A0511 checking in. i love them. haven't A-B'd with any other semi opened... but they've been great with a little bass boost (using balanced out, and +9 gain @ 10 o'clock)
Media (1).jpg
added from my iFi stack. female vocals on Cranberries - Dreams and Allison Krauss - Lucky One were awesome... right now The Weeknd - Earned it is better than ever.... I always start off new headphones with Kenny Rogers The Gambler... definitely doesnt have the treble or sparkle in the guitars i was expecting as people convinced me they would be... but still sounded really good with Kenny's voice. .. right know Khalid - Young Dumb Broke has pretty good soundstage... other than the ugly wire, i see no need to mod them.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #381 of 400
I bought a 'Fostex RP KIT 50' e.g https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/fostex-rp-kit50.13056/
in Aus, and seems to be the same design but all blacked out. I'm having the same issues finding a replacement cable though. Stock cable is dropping on and off in the left channel when the lock is turned all the way. I would love a custom cable but the only one i've found that has a male 2.5mm TRRS is linked on the previous page by Fog City and i'm not too keen to drop 140 AUD on a cable. I've been trying to find a female 3.5mm TRS to male 2.5mm TRRS right angle adapter and that's also seemingly impossible.

Btw i'd definitely recommend some of the basic t50rp mods on these to dampen the treble, especially if you like bass. the kit i got came with a bunch of pre-fab adhesive foam, and i also added some foam inserts i had laying around. modded with cowhide ZMF pads on a Fiio K5 pro i can run volume really high and get a really rumbly solid bass without it becoming muddy and without having to EQ any treble.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #382 of 400
I bought a 'Fostex RP KIT 50' e.g https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/fostex-rp-kit50.13056/
in Aus, and seems to be the same design but all blacked out. I'm having the same issues finding a replacement cable though. Stock cable is dropping on and off in the left channel when the lock is turned all the way. I would love a custom cable but the only one i've found that has a male 2.5mm TRRS is linked on the previous page by Fog City and i'm not too keen to drop 140 AUD on a cable. I've been trying to find a female 3.5mm TRS to male 2.5mm TRRS right angle adapter and that's also seemingly impossible.

Btw i'd definitely recommend some of the basic t50rp mods on these to dampen the treble, especially if you like bass. the kit i got came with a bunch of pre-fab adhesive foam, and i also added some foam inserts i had laying around. modded with cowhide ZMF pads on a Fiio K5 pro i can run volume really high and get a really rumbly solid bass without it becoming muddy and without having to EQ any treble.
Been hunting RPKIT50 to no success. Is it from an online seller/shop?

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #385 of 400
Late night listening with them T5050s (this time, with the old and trusty Sony PCM-D100):

53651083891_428fa8d7eb_c.jpg

The PCM-D100 has enough juice to drive the T5050s to eardrum-splitting levels (5/10 on the volume knob is already plenty loud). Granted, hooking the T5050s to a proper desktop setup would still be the better listening proposition, but the PCM-D100 is no slouch either. What I'm really impressed with the T5050s, however, is that it still sounds great with a portable source.; I don't think my listening experience is compromised with the PCM-D100 pairing.

For us folks who jumped into the T5050 bandwagon (and have remained on it ever since, not wanting to let go), it feels like we're very much spoiled with the sound we're getting relative to the price we paid for our pairs. I don't know if it's just me, but I keep shaking my head (and sheepishly smile) whenever I listen to my T5050, because I still cannot believe that the T5050 offers this much performance without having to break the bank.

Don't get me wrong: if I'm flush with money and can afford to buy the best/latest/greatest headphones the market can offer, I'd happily splurge for a pair (or three). But why unnecessarily burn your hard-earned money when you can achieve contentment with the T5050? Fostex has really done a great job (and us a great favor) with the T5050.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #386 of 400
Has anyone modded these to remove the lock on the jack? I bought a 2.5mm right angle connector but it showed up as just a raw right angle jack with a cylindrical case that screws over the empty solder points with no female jack. I figure it might be fun to learn to make my own cables, but this right angle jack doesn't even fit because the jack is recessed so far into the cup. I'm almost at the point where i want to take a dremel to it and cut out the sides of the locking mechanism

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #388 of 400
I had some time this past long weekend to enjoy my new T50 50th and also take some time to get reacquainted with my other RP variants to compare. There seems like a lot of interest in how these compare to the T60 particularly, which I can offer an impression point to help.

For context, I am an avid Fostex collector, but most of my ear time (and collection) are focused on their TH Biodyna models. (I have a TRx Ebony SN#12, TH900 Pearl White SN#26, TH 900 Red and TH 909 Red). Of course, I did not neglect the classic RP lineup, but my interest in them has and is primarily that of a collector/listener rather than a modder where their most avid enthusiasm lies... with that in mind, I don't own a vanilla T50 for modding, I went straight to Fostex own take on the mods and their licensed mod from Dekoni. I am stoked I found out about the T5050 before the limited run sold out, it's great to add #89/600 to my collection :)

20230904_112529.jpg
Meet the Mags: L to R, T60RP, T50 50th Anni, Dekoni Blue T50

MSRP wise, the T50 50th (5050) is available as low as $200 from BHPhoto, whereas the Blue typically goes for ~$225 and the T60 is up on Amazon for $300 (all USD).

Physically, the Blue and 5050 have plastic housing (although the 5050 feels much more substantial and is heavier) whereas the T60 has a premium African Mahogany enclosure (there's a Walnut variation out there I wish I had been able to pickup, but Fostex just doesn't advertise these things much!). While absolutely stunning, the T60's wooden enclosure creaks something fierce on my unit (I've heard varying reports newer units are better). Visually the anniversary T50 is beautifully subdued, featuring gold anniversary font and metal highlights on a classic black backing.

The 5050 comes wired for balanced connections stock, just like the T60, whereas the Blue is single ended like the stock T20/40/50. Unfortunately, as noted in the thread previously, the 5050 uses the same right angled, locking barrel style connector as the blue/stock rather than the (nicer imo) vertical straight connector in the T60. Similarly, they have switched from a 3.5 TRRS to a slightly less robust 2.5 mm TRRS, but this is unlikely to be much issue with the locking port reducing strain. Fostex nicely includes a balanced 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable with the 5050, but I definitely prefer the 1st party XLR cable available for the T60... it's not a big deal to add a 4.4mm or XLR converter, but given 2.5mm seems to be going extinct it would have been nicer to have 4.4 mm or XLR termination.

For pads, the 5050 uses the same premium synthetic leather pads that the T60 uses. As far as non-hybrid pads go, I've always found Fostex premium pads to be quite good and are necessary to perfectly retain stock tuning. It's nice to have the upgraded pads included with the 5050 even at the reduced price. Padwise, the Blue really is the most comfortable of the bunch, Dekoni's hybrid pads really are nice for lengthy listening, but again for me it's not worth it at the expense of the purity of stock tuning (collector not modder!).

Finally, to my touch and brief inspection, the 5050 also reuses the T60's "leather" suspension band. The Blue has a small amount of padding on the frame, but lacks a strap.

20230904_112645_HDR.jpg

Soundoff T50 50th vs. T60:

I'll start with the closer pairing. It's quite evident immediately that Fostex have reused the same damping changes made to the T60 here. Contrary to the marketing, I don't think the T60 uses a different driver vs. the 20/40/50, the modification was to the damping (and IIRC, driver pairing spec). Given that they also share pads and have similar headband structure, it's unsurprising there's a lot in common for sound.

In my particular case, the T60 pads are several years old and as a result I would give a slight edge to the T5050 in bass, but I do think this is just down to the pad age difference.

Mids are nice and linear on both, a very nice clean and flat transition from bass to lower mids speak to this design's success as a reference monitor and mastering tool.

Treble wise, the T60 has a very unique tuning, perhaps due to intereference with the housing. Whereas the 5050 has a very neutral to bright treble (peak magnitude is a little higher frequency than in most western tunings, but I don't find it unpleasant), the T60 has an odd dip of sorts separating a bit of extra lower treble push and the same higher frequency max. This combines in the T60's case to quite a unique textural presentation of vocals particularly. It's an odd distinction, but of all my headphones I would say the T60 is the most effective at helping me to identify voice actors in animated productions, it's quite supernaturally revealing for vocal granularity.

Overall, I would say the 5050 is a markedly more neutral tuning as a result, but it lacks the unique qualities that make the T60 quite special.

20230904_112731_HDR.jpg

Soundoff: T50 50th vs. Dekoni Blue

Much more radical differences in tuning compared to the T60. The Blue is the only "Fostex Approved" and licensed 3rd party modification for the T50. Compared to the 5050, it is a notably more V shaped tuning, although also with less treble energy. The bass is higher in the tuning on the blue, although I find its texture a bit whooly and distorted at times. Lower mids particularly are quite recessed compared to the 5050, but this is helped a bit by a more forward lower treble presence, which adds some needed intimacy.

I have to admit, in coming back to the Blues they sounded much better than I remembered them... perhaps their time in the drawer has helped age them like a fine planar magnetic wine lol? Or maybe I'm just getting more tolerant for tuning variation in my old age. They lack the clarity and detail of the other variants, but as a nice laid back experience (particularly with their comfort factor) I could see myself sneaking in some time with them here and there for comfy fun.

20230904_112623_HDR.jpg

Final Thoughts:

It's probably clear in terms of sound, I much prefer the leaner reference tuning of the Fostex versions. Particularly the 50th Anni presents a very nice take on Fostex reference signature, whereas the T60 manages to bring a supernatural illumination to vocal recordings, albeit at the expense of its overall natural quality however. I would rank them:

Sound: T50 50th > T60 >> Dekoni Blue

Comfort: Dekoni Blue>T50 50th>T60

Aesthetics: T60>T50 50th>Dekoni Blue
Very detailed review, nice work!
As a th900 user, gotta say I'm quite surprised that Fostex finally trade their V shape tuning off to the neutral one!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back