Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Oct 7, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,981 of 2,017
@stellarelephant upgrade foam insert can change the sound

Hold on to your hat. Start with the stock baffle insert, and then place the Mayflower baffle ON TOP of the stock (fabric side down and a little double sided tape helps)... BOOM! You get (a little) more bass! Two baffles baby! Two baffles.

May 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,983 of 2,017
A forgotten thread!

Was doing some straightening up around the house and came across these kinda buried in another room...

Fired them up this morning on a Liquid Spark -- still bring smiles :beerchug:

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,984 of 2,017
Hi modding community!

Just got my first set of Tx0RPs :) they are T40s mkIII and I'm lovin' them with HM5 angled lambskin pads. The only problem I'm having, and that I want to solve before I start to mod them, is that there is distortion/rattling in the left driver with sub-bass tones when playing at loud volumes; I believe the rattling can start at 60Hz depending on the volume. I'm using this site to check the sub-bass distortion, under the Quality section: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php. I'm using a Topping L30 on high gain but I don't know if that's enough juice for this headphone, for me they get loud enough at 12 o'clock but there is still a little of distortion.

Solderdude from DIY-Audio-Heaven had a similar problem with T50RPs and he solved it by loosening the driver membrane or diaphragm, see here.

Has anybody have had a similar experience? I have been reading that Fostex have poor QC on the Tx0RP line so maybe I should ask for a replacement while I can and hope to get a better pair to start modding.

I would try Solderdude's solution but I'm new to the world of modding and that seems like advanced modding for me for now lol.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,985 of 2,017
Hey everyone.

I have a set of the Massdrop TX0-RP that have the Argon mod from Mod House. I bought them second hand and love them.

Only trouble is the clamping force is fairly weak. The clamp on the double rods does not seem to hold very tightly so the headphones slide down. I've tightened the two screws on each of the clamp but it either doesn't hold for long or I am not adjusting it appropriately.
Any suggestions on how to get them to sit on my head better? I love them but the feeling of slipping down my ears is a bit too weird for long listening sessions.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,986 of 2,017
there is distortion/rattling in the left driver with sub-bass tones when playing at loud volumes; I believe the rattling can start at 60Hz depending on the volume.

I had the same issue with my initial pair, I would recommend exchanging them for a new pair which should be free from this issue.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,987 of 2,017
Ok, so got my replacement pair of T40s and no rattling in the left driver!... it is now in the right driver lmao. Looks like I either have super bad luck or is impossible to get a distortion free Tx0RP. Good news is that the rattling is not that bad in this pair, also, I tried extra tightening all the screws, specially the ones holding the magnets together and I got a little more room for volume without rattling, but with enough power (too loud) it returns again.

I think I'm going to keep this one and eventually going to take apart the magnets to reseat the diaphragm and distribute the tension of the screws to completly erase the rattling. Can someone give me some advice on how to succesfully take apart the magnets without warping the magnets? Do you push to one side first to unlock the locks and then lift the top magnet?

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,989 of 2,017
Did you mod them in the end?
yeah, I tried the mayflower modkit but ended only with the dampening foam and clay while using Eq to boost sub bass.

I said before that tightening the screws reduces the rattle, but it's actually the opposite; loosening the screws removes the rattle. Loose them too much and there will be a buzzing sound while testing with tones, tighten them too much and the rattle will appear. It takes time and luck to find the right combination as every driver is different. In my case removing the rattle from my right driver was very easy, just loosened a bit the screws without much thought and no rattle, but the left driver was a pain in the ass, it took a lot of time and ended up with two tight screws and the other six almost completely loose.
Just wanted to mention that. I don't want to misguide people, over tightening screws is a bad idea.

Also, is someone here using the Atom amp with their t50rp modded or with Eq? my L30 isn't enough anymore when using Eq.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,990 of 2,017
yeah, I tried the mayflower modkit but ended only with the dampening foam and clay while using Eq to boost sub bass.

I said before that tightening the screws reduces the rattle, but it's actually the opposite; loosening the screws removes the rattle. Loose them too much and there will be a buzzing sound while testing with tones, tighten them too much and the rattle will appear. It takes time and luck to find the right combination as every driver is different. In my case removing the rattle from my right driver was very easy, just loosened a bit the screws without much thought and no rattle, but the left driver was a pain in the ass, it took a lot of time and ended up with two tight screws and the other six almost completely loose.
Just wanted to mention that. I don't want to misguide people, over tightening screws is a bad idea.

Also, is someone here using the Atom amp with their t50rp modded or with Eq? my L30 isn't enough anymore when using Eq.
I don't have an Atom, but I used to have a Magni 2u, that was a good amount of power. (similar output to an Atom if I remember correctly) Of course T50Rps need a small nuclear reactor to run properly.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #1,992 of 2,017
Anybody noticed that current production pads are softer than initial 2015 version?

I've noticed a change in not just stock pads but even ZMF pad being softer to me. I sent back two different pairs as I couldn't get a comfortable grip on my head without the cans sliding down too far with new pads. Annoying hunt right now

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,993 of 2,017
I'm late to the game.

I seen these over the years and never bothered, then seen this thread. Purchased and out of the box I am totally impressed.

My best phone is the Oppo PM-3 and I think these best them. The mids are slightly too strong for me on the PM-3 and over powers the upper range. That's nit picking as the PM-3 are very nice sounding phones. But, the T50's do everyhting right. Especially the mids and HF, they are perfect and separate, at least to these ears. Tame, but there and nothing hurts my ears. Never heard perfection like this in a HP before, but I am cheap and own a lot of $250 and lower phones.

The only thing I think could be improved is the low end, its there and sounds great but not powerful enough. I am starting to wonder how unblocking the cup vent would make these sound. I heard complaints but I think my ears may like it.

Anyway, these are really great for the price. Much better value than the Oppo's and I really like the Oppo's.

Also, the soundstage is very wide. Much wider than the Oppo.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,994 of 2,017
Just wanted to post up my "lasting" impressions of the T50rp MK3 from when I had them for a few weeks back in October (I wrote down some notes, thinking I was going to do a review, but that's obviously not going to pan out now).

First, I ended up returning them to Guitar Center because they were just too damn uncomfortable and I couldn't wear them longer than 10 minutes no matter what I tried. I did try stuffing the earpads with rolled-up fragments of toilet-paper but that did absolutely nothing.

Sonically they were amazing—and I mean, amazing! And for the price, they're a total steal and no-brainer! By far one of the biggest "bang for the buck" headphones I've ever heard, right up there with other giant-value killers like the KOSS KSC75, Yamaha MT220, and Audio-Technica MSR7. They were so sonically amazing that people really shouldn't be thinking about these especially when they're only $160—just buy them already! (And make sure to mod the earpads for comfort of course, which I didn't bother to do because I was just lazy & cheap.)
redface.gif

Between the two other closed headphones that I had at the same time, the MT220 and MSR7, the T50rp MK3 was way more similar to the MSR7—actually, it was definitely along the same sonic lines. Similarly very clean & clear, with a bass that managed to hit surprisingly hard & deep despite being clearly under-driven by my Gilmore Lite. And it sounded more "open" and spatial than the MSR7, which was expected from its semi-open design—larger soundstage, higher sense of the music being projected outwards more. The MSR7 was actually sort of closed-in and upfront-sounding in comparison. If I had to use an analogy, the MSR7 is definitely for those who like (or wouldn't mind) their music being served up somewhat-intimately and very directly, kinda like being close to the stage at a rock concert, while the MK3 is definitely for those who want more of a laid-back spatial "concert hall", if you will.

Another non-sonic reason I didn't warm up to the MK3 was because of its inefficiency—as I wrote before already, there was absolutely no way I could use it directly out of either of my computers, and I didn't really want to buy a new amp for my dedicated "Head-Fi" system either for music-listening purposes. I really thought it had potential as a computer headphone sonically too, but the inefficiency killed that for me, which was just too bad. I would've loved its sound for gaming as well—its inefficiency became one of the most soul-crushing disappointments I've ever had in my closed (or semi-closed) headphone journey.
frown.gif

Now if only Fostex could plant the MK3's sound into a headphone that's actually comfortable to wear and efficient enough to be driven directly out of a computer sound card, that would be fantastically amazing! (And that's definitely one of the reasons I got on board the TH-X00 hype train!)
wink.gif

I know this is old but trying to get through the thread.

I own the MSR7 and there is nothing about those and the T50 III that are similar in sound. To me, they sound completely different and the T50 blow them away.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,995 of 2,017
Can anyone recommend a case that these fit in ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back