Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Mar 8, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,953 of 2,017
Awesome pic and description, Nick. Thanks. My goal is to boost low bass without changing the overall sound signature too much, although I would tolerate a little midbass bloat if that was the necessary tradeoff to get some slam.

But certainly I want to avoid boosting the treble whatsoever, as these border on harshness around 9K even with the Mayflower mods. Sometimes I wish I had the stock pads, because I can hear the mids and bass come up to match the treble better whenever I squeeze the earcups to my head, smashing down the Shure Alcantaras to a fraction of their thickness.

Kintsaki, The Liquid Spark spits 1.3W into 50R...in high gain mode I have the volume knob around 1:00. You may recall, I have run these cans off of 100W speaker taps before, and I feel that I am getting that same level of liveliness and detail with the Liquid Spark, with far lower noise and a slightly lusher sound signature.

I believe you and I agree your headphone amp is very good . Your speaker amp is not good should not be noisy, however a good speaker amp would only provide a small improvement that would not be worth the money.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #1,955 of 2,017
@stellarelephant A small note on the V1. I found that mayflowers upgrade foam insert can change the sound depending on what side is facing out. There is the light grey fabric side and the darker foam side. In stock form the fabric side faces the outward, but the low bass feels boosted a bit with the darker foam side facing out. I wish I had a measurement rig to test with, because there is a definite change in bass response.

I can post pics if needed, but basically:
Fabric side out: More bright and leaner in the bass.
Foam side out: Darker, bassier sound.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #1,956 of 2,017
Very interesting. I'll give this a whirl and report back. Thanks for the tip.
@stellarelephant A small note on the V1. I found that mayflowers upgrade foam insert can change the sound depending on what side is facing out. There is the light grey fabric side and the darker foam side. In stock form the fabric side faces the outward, but the low bass feels boosted a bit with the darker foam side facing out. I wish I had a measurement rig to test with, because there is a definite change in bass response.

I can post pics if needed, but basically:
Fabric side out: More bright and leaner in the bass.
Foam side out: Darker, bassier sound.

May 22, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,957 of 2,017
Hi, I'm looking for a closed back headphone with good soundstage, satisfactory bass response and overall detail, great comfort and little sound leakage.

I have no problem at all in resorting to modifications to achieve it.

Do you think the T40RP meets these criteria? I have read a lot about the huge potential of these Fostex in terms of modifications, but I would like to be sure if you can really achieve significant differences with these mods.

My current gear:

-Sennheiser HD58X
-Sennheiser IE800
-Koss ESP/95X
-Audeze iSINE20

Previous gear:

-Audeze LCD2C
-Beyer DT1990
-Sennheiser HD600
-KRK KNS-8400
-Shure SRH1540
-IMR R1
-JVC FD01

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,958 of 2,017
Hi, I'm looking for a closed back headphone with good soundstage, satisfactory bass response and overall detail, great comfort and little sound leakage.

I have no problem at all in resorting to modifications to achieve it.

Do you think the T40RP meets these criteria? I have read a lot about the huge potential of these Fostex in terms of modifications, but I would like to be sure if you can really achieve significant differences with these mods.

My current gear:

-Sennheiser HD58X
-Sennheiser IE800
-Koss ESP/95X
-Audeze iSINE20

Previous gear:

-Audeze LCD2C
-Beyer DT1990
-Sennheiser HD600
-KRK KNS-8400
-Shure SRH1540
-IMR R1
-JVC FD01

Thanks in advance!

I would say that with modifications, it should be able to meet those needs, as long as you aren't expecting no sound leakage whatsoever. I modded my T50s to be closed, and it works pretty well. You may want alternate pads though, as the default may work well but aren't that comfortable.

Also, as a fellow Koss ESP/95X owner, these are probably the closest sounding to those (with more bass) of the headphones I have.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,959 of 2,017
I would say that with modifications, it should be able to meet those needs, as long as you aren't expecting no sound leakage whatsoever. I modded my T50s to be closed, and it works pretty well. You may want alternate pads though, as the default may work well but aren't that comfortable.

Also, as a fellow Koss ESP/95X owner, these are probably the closest sounding to those (with more bass) of the headphones I have.

Great!

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the comparison with the Koss as it’s my favorite piece of gear at the moment.

May 23, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,961 of 2,017
Wasn't easy but I am happy with the Focal connectors.

eVhgGxI.jpg

If anyone is interested in one with a mini xlr fitted with cable soldered on I will ship anywhere in US for $115. It will have the baffle and pivot sections and it cost me about $160+.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,963 of 2,017
is this the official thread for t50rp mk3? just got one for a good price hehe. gave it a quick try on my iphone and hifiman hm801 stock card. both sounds like crap lol. didn't get a chance to take it home to test on other higher end equipment i have. gonna use it a for a while and definitely experiment with mods for fun.

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,964 of 2,017
Congrats!

Guessing it would be underpowered on most phones...sounds pretty good out of an LG Vx0 or G7 :wink:

Once you get it hooked up to an amp with enough clean power, you'll be good to go

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back