Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jul 19, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,997 of 2,017
The slappa works good.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,998 of 2,017
Jul 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,999 of 2,017
I am not a fan of the stock pads. After getting through the thread there is a huge opinion on pads sounding good or bad. Seems like for the most part, most after market pads change the sound for the worse.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,001 of 2,017
I am not a fan of the stock pads. After getting through the thread there is a huge opinion on pads sounding good or bad. Seems like for the most part, most after market pads change the sound for the worse.
Pads go hand in had with your mod. For instance the Shure pads that used to be the gold standard have a small bass hump you have to account for

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,002 of 2,017
Yes, seems sound is the best with the stock pads. If you can handle the comfort...
The stock pads are definitely best sound wise. Seems like the deeper the pad, the mids become more recessed. After trying some of the brainwavz pads I have settled with Denon AH-D7000 pads which, I believe, are almost identical (but cheap) to the T60RP: angled and not too deep, just enough space between your ears and driver so the mids doesn't take a big hit. Definitely recommend them if your ear fit in the stock pads, if not you are probably gonna find them uncomfortable.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,003 of 2,017
Pads go hand in had with your mod. For instance the Shure pads that used to be the gold standard have a small bass hump you have to account for

I wont be modding them, they sound good as is. I have read a lot of mods on here and my feeling is most spend a lot of time chasing sound they cant get.

I have heard people trying the different shure pads and either they say more bass or less bass. Lots of very different opinions on the same pads. This with just a pad change.

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,004 of 2,017
The stock pads are definitely best sound wise. Seems like the deeper the pad, the mids become more recessed. After trying some of the brainwavz pads I have settled with Denon AH-D7000 pads which, I believe, are almost identical (but cheap) to the T60RP: angled and not too deep, just enough space between your ears and driver so the mids doesn't take a big hit. Definitely recommend them if your ear fit in the stock pads, if not you are probably gonna find them uncomfortable.

I'd like to find pads that emphasis the bass a bit more without killing the stock mids and HF, as I think they are perfect to my ears. I have small ears so will check those out if not too much. I found some on amazon, but I don't want to spend $35 on pads and not like them.

Here is the ones I wanted to try. Anything cheaper that are similar but sheepskin ?

https://www.amazon.com/Sheepskin-Re...eywords=angled+earpads&qid=1626712820&sr=8-17

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,005 of 2,017
I just got my comfort strap. To be honest I thought the padded headband was quite comfortable and didn’t think this strap would add much. But so many people raved about it I thought worth a try. Opened it and didn’t look like much but man is this thing awesome!

I will say the directions say not to over tighten the new screws, but I had to tighten them pretty tight to get it to feel like it did stock moving the cups.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,006 of 2,017
I wont be modding them, they sound good as is. I have read a lot of mods on here and my feeling is most spend a lot of time chasing sound they cant get.

I have heard people trying the different shure pads and either they say more bass or less bass. Lots of very different opinions on the same pads. This with just a pad change.
Heh that's part of the fun!

My Open Alphas give my Ether CX a better run for their money than you'd expect. The mids still blow anything I've heard out of the water full stop. Mind you the Ether CXs are still better in just about every other aspect.... but for $900 I really really do hope so.

But there's a good reason why the T50RP modding community exists. You can do mild or wild. Simple cotton, blue tack, and some noise damping foam (like 30 mins of time) can make a pretty awesome difference.

Of course I went just about as wild as one could possibly. That took a good amount of time to do, but it was an absolute blast. I always show off my Ethers, but when friends want to listen, I pull the Open Alphas first, I want them to think they are cheap and terrible and don't look nice. Bare 3D-Printed ABS, with my heavily warn Alpha pads and a haphazardly made canvas head cushion heh

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,007 of 2,017
So, I just got in from Amazon the accessory house angled pads (AHG-ORION-SHEEPSKIN). The bass is a little boosted but in a good way. The mids and hf is boosted more than I would like, but not unbearable. $35 but still going to keep them cause the sound isn’t bad and they are so comfortable! I put some filters in the ear pads and it cut the boosted mids and hf just enough.

I also got the shure 840 pads, only $12 and these sound great. A slight more bass but everything sounds the same to me. What a pain to get on though. These sound pretty close to stock but way more comfortable.

I found the soundstage isn’t changed much. Still extends and the AH pads actually extend more. I have had experiences with changing pads on other headphones and it was very drastic and didn’t work. I find changing pads on the T50’s way less drastic of a change for whatever reason.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #2,008 of 2,017
I got the Mayflower baffles this weekend.

Stock pads: more bass, but muffled mids and hf.
Shure 840 pads: more bass but not overwhelming, restored mids and hf. Great sounding!
Accessory house lamb skin angled pads: now these gave great bass on the stock baffles but the mids and hf were a tad more extended than the stock pads and baffles. Bass is even slightly more than the shure pads and mids/hf just slightly muffled, but sound good with these mayflower baffles. I’m not a bass head, but I feel the stock pads and baffles cut a lot out. I think these mayflower baffles are a great way to modify the bass to you liking without tape and/or opening the cups and removing the felt….etc.

These Mayflower baffles are really cool!

Jul 25, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,009 of 2,017
After much testing, my final verdict is the mayflower baffles and shure 840 pads.

I just wish the shure earpads were real sheepskin.

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #2,010 of 2,017
I went back and forth with the AH angled sheepskin pads. You gain bass with the MF baffles and AH pads, but lose mids and HF and also get a muffled/hollow sound. The bass is overwhelming. I figured let me try adding some stretched out cotton ball to each cup. Is it me or did this really make a huge difference? The mids and HF is back and the bass was tamed down a bit and hollow sound is gone. Can such a small mod actually make this big of a difference or is my mind doing tricks ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back