Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Oct 5, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #226 of 2,017
Yeah, seems it usually is the other way around.

Right, it could be people confusing bass extension with quantity.

Guess I'll stick with getting the 50s. They should fall right in the middle (no matter how the bass is interpreted).

It's about air compliance. Open means there's nothing stopping the air from escaping or entering the back of the can. So it's rather easy for the driver to move since there's little resistance. Meaning big, low frequancy movements are easier;more bass. But this means it can be bloated, gooshy, loose, and can start taking over the mid range

With closed back, it's the opposite. There's less compliance. The driver has to compress the air to move so it's harder for it. This means that there's less bass, buts it's faster and much more controlled. Down side, less bass. Less extention. More sterile

Semi is of course a blend of the two.

Good thing is vents are suuuuper easy to tune. Tape on the vents inside or out works just fine. Tune to your liking.

Think of closing the door to a room. It probably closed nicely, Now open the window and close it again, chances are it closed harder then you exspected. The air was easily moved out of the way, so there was less resistance, resulting in a slight slamming.

Now ear cups/baffles are different than the back of the can. If the area that your ear sits in is sealed, you get more bass. If there are holes that lead into the cup or out side, there's less bass perseaved. But the same rules apply. Sealed is tighter. But fully sealed baffles can cause exsess pressure on your ear drums, so more volume contsiousness is needed. But should cuase a problem at reasible levels

Edit: all that being said, open makes for a wider more natural Soundstage. So the holy grail is wide open with tight clean sound. Orthrodynamics are good at this due to the speed of the driver. Cans like the he1000 use super huge drivers for bass and power, while being rediculously thin for speed. (And a bunch of other things that are above my knowlage)

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #228 of 2,017
  Sound wise, how would these compare to the HiFiMan's HE-400s? Anybody had a chance to listen to both of them?

Cannot speak to the mk3 being that I don't have one, but the unmodified mk2 sounds nothing like the HE-400 headphones. However, mod'ing the mk2, I was able to get them to sound very much like the HE-400s. Not necessarily helpful for the mk3 may differ. YMMV.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #229 of 2,017

Cannot speak to the mk3 being that I don't have one, but the unmodified mk2 sounds nothing like the HE-400 headphones. However, mod'ing the mk2, I was able to get them to sound very much like the HE-400s. Not necessarily helpful for the mk3 may differ. YMMV.

I am still deciding which one of these two to buy, but I feel like the T50RP Mk3 might be a better acquisition, for it has a better price and, so far, all the impressions and reviews are great!

Let's just hope the T50RP Mk3 are as good as people's first impressions!

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #230 of 2,017

I am still deciding which one of these two to buy, but I feel like the T50RP Mk3 might be a better acquisition, for it has a better price and, so far, all the impressions and reviews are great!

Let's just hope the T50RP Mk3 are as good as people's first impressions!

The T50RP are a great value. Well worth serious consideration.

Everyone's ear is different and if you can, you may want to order from Amazon both T50RPmk3 and the HE-400 and listen to them a couple weeks. Amazon will refund within thirty days, but you will be responsible for shipping back. Their shipping is very affordable.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #231 of 2,017
  The Alpha Pads seems to fit on the new Mk3

Yes I must say I'm curious how these sound. Who's pair were these?

The T50RP are a great value. Well worth serious consideration.

Everyone's ear is different and if you can, you may want to order from Amazon both T50RPmk3 and the HE-400 and listen to them a couple weeks. Amazon will refund within thirty days, but you will be responsible for shipping back. Their shipping is very affordable.

The T50RP Mk3s do impress. I won't say they're flawless but to me they're a marked improvement over the T50RP Mk2 based on my signature preference.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #237 of 2,017
Living in Canada, I just ordered a pair of T50RPmk3 from Long and McQuade for $CAN 179 which is equivalent to $US 137. Not sure why they are so cheap in Canada. Usually we get boned here.

You guys are so lucky!

Here in Brazil we have to pay basically twice the original price for electronics that come from abroad just from all the taxes over foreign products. That is 100% of the original price in taxes.
And if you try to look for national electronics, especially audio products, all you can find crap, trash and junk stuff, and sometimes at stupidly high prices.

Oh, how I wish I lived in the US or CA or any other country with less taxes over foreign electronics and everything else.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #238 of 2,017
Received my T50RPmk3 about 3/4 hour ago so please..... take my impressions with a huge grain of salt!

My only other phones at the moment are PortaPros, but have owned in the past Denon AH-D2000, Q701, K550. I liked the Q701s, found the Denons to be too bass-heavy, liked the K550s but I am sensitive to hearing my pulse while using some phones and I had that issue with both the AH-D2000 and the K550. Also like the PortaPros so I seem to have the most success with open phones. Never listened to orthos before. Listen inside the house only to FLAC using Benchmark DAC-1. Have a big head and usually use reading glasses.

These are Made in China. Says so on the box. Build quality seems solid for the money. Didn't have to bend the headband to lower clamping. Comfortable with glasses. I don't hear my pulse during quiet parts of songs. To me these seem neutral/detailed camp rather than bass-heavy/overly smooth. Good coherency and pace/timing. I was using my DAC-1 volume control between 9:00 and 2:00. Used the long cable with 1/4" connector.

I think these might do the trick for me but of course I will need to see how they break in over time. Putting these down now before I'm late for work.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #239 of 2,017
Received my T50RPmk3 about 3/4 hour ago so please..... take my impressions with a huge grain of salt!

My only other phones at the moment are PortaPros, but have owned in the past Denon AH-D2000, Q701, K550. I liked the Q701s, found the Denons to be too bass-heavy, liked the K550s but I am sensitive to hearing my pulse while using some phones and I had that issue with both the AH-D2000 and the K550. Also like the PortaPros so I seem to have the most success with open phones. Never listened to orthos before. Listen inside the house only to FLAC using Benchmark DAC-1. Have a big head and usually use reading glasses.

These are Made in China. Says so on the box. Build quality seems solid for the money. Didn't have to bend the headband to lower clamping. Comfortable with glasses. I don't hear my pulse during quiet parts of songs. To me these seem neutral/detailed camp rather than bass-heavy/overly smooth. Good coherency and pace/timing. I was using my DAC-1 volume control between 9:00 and 2:00. Used the long cable with 1/4" connector.

I think these might do the trick for me but of course I will need to see how they break in over time. Putting these down now before I'm late for work.

could you measure the earpad diameter & depth please when you have time? thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back