Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jun 20, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,246 of 2,017

This Rebate was a nice incentive to buy a pair of Fostex T50RP mk3 Studio Headphones (Semi-Open) back in Apr 2016

Ref: AM&S

Rebate Form

The rebate submission Form says delivery will be in 4 to 6 weeks.

Anyone have a positive experience with Fostex rebates?  I have not revived mine.

I tried to query AM&S:

info@AmericanMusicAndSound.com 

which is the only listed support linkI could find, but it has so far fallen on deaf ears.

Interestingly the form shows no phone number or web page follow-up

Gotta love rebates !!!

Got my rebate check last week. Ordered my T50RP's from Zach on April 5. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,247 of 2,017

Good idea. I have not tried M50x earpad but it may work if it is thin and comfortable. It may be better to choose softer pad instead of stiffer. The purpose is to get ear as close as to the driver but still comfortable. Yam MT220 earpad is very soft so very comfy and inner edge of earpad recessed so ear gets very close to driver unit. 

The replacement pads for the M50x (by BlueCell) came in, and was able to get them to fit with a little stretching.  The pads are smaller than the earcups, so they do look a little funny but stay on with no problems.

I went with these pads since they are supposedly a little thinner and denser than the stock M50x pads and the stock Fostex pads are pretty dense.  They were also $6 shipped, so little risk.  You can see how they compare in to the Brainwavz Hybrids both on and off the headphone.  

From a comfort perspective they worked as well as the stock or hybrids for me, but I have relatively small ears.  If you have larger ears, these would probably sit partially on your ear so YMMV. From a sound perspective I think these are somewhere between the hybrids and stock, but a little closer to the stock.  They isolate pretty well and they keep the drivers closer to your ears than the Brainwavz pads.  I found much less difference between pressing the cups closer to my ears as compared to the hybrid pads.  The bass may actually be accentuated a little bit more with these pads, which does make the mid-range sound a little pulled back in comparison.  Treble is closer to the stock pads than the hybrids from my memory.

For $6-$7 these are an inexpensive and easy to find option that might improve your comfort (depending on your ears/head), offers a little better isolation, and keep sound reasonably close to stock.  I don't know how these compare to the Shure 840 pads, but might be worth looking into for anyone looking at replacement pad options:  https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Replacement-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones/dp/B00MIM2EE8

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,248 of 2,017
Found my perfect pad setup for the T50rp Mk3,

Some velours that came with my Superlux HD662 Evo, don't seem available separately though :frowning2:

they are soft so compress nicely,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_662_bk_evo.htm?ref=prod_rel_300852_0

It was a little bright with just the velours, so I put one of the Beyerdynamic foam pieces under the pads and for me they are perfect, great lows that are full, detailed mids and extended highs.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_schaumstoffscheibe.htm?ref=search_rslt_Beyerdynamic+foam_177495_3

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,250 of 2,017
Zeos just posted a review of the entire MK3 linup, pretty interesting. He also mentioned Shure 1840 pads as a good alternative to 1540 pads.

Begging your pardon, but where?

Thank you.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,252 of 2,017
Jun 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,253 of 2,017
Listening to the t40rp mk3's through my iPhone 6+, and Fiio A3....holy buckets these are wonderful headphones....boomy bass with the stock pads and bass switch on. I will work on the mods...wow.

Hard to drive, and I hope to pick up a Schiit Magni 2, to run with my Fiio x3ii...other "comparably priced" amp recommendations would be appreciated...essentially same price...

Thank you and wow...:flushed:

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,259 of 2,017
I received my big ZMF pads and the headband.
Massive bass improvement. I have the impression to switch the louudness filter on (for those who knows it on 70's amp).
I didn't know that the pads was able to change a mid centric hp into a basshead.
Now I woàuld say that the high mids are a bit too recessed , the t50rp originally having a dip around 6/7 Khz .
Anyone  know a mod that enhance those frequencies?

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,260 of 2,017
  Got my rebate check last week. Ordered my T50RP's from Zach on April 5. 

Cool thanks for letting us know on a eta idea! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back