Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jun 18, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,234 of 2,017
I'm still deciding
T50rp's with Shure srh1540 pads
Or zmf lamb skin or protein pads
Also any comments on how the headband cushion is? Would it be worth buying the pilot pad or leather strap from zmf? Or are these ok without it

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,235 of 2,017
Oh any comments on changes to sound from someone who has tried both?
Between all red that I mentioned?
Z reviews recommends the 1540 pads because the driver sits closer to your ears?
Anyone else experience this?

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,236 of 2,017
I bought the Alpha Pads as I have a pair of Ether where I really, really like the material. I prefer it even over cowhide--I figured I'd just enjoy it on the Fostex as well. So far the fit has been dramatically better, and the shape of the Alpha pads (angled) fits my big (note, BIG) head much better to improve circumaural sealing.

The 1540 pads also have a crazy wait--I figured It was critical to get replacement pads to truly enjoy my Fostex :wink:

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,237 of 2,017
My initial listen to my new t40rp mk3's is quite impressive...my music ranges from Willy Nelson, to Bob Marley, to Junior Brown, to Los Lonely Boys; and I am mighty impressed with OOB sound.

I do wish for more open treble, but will decide after burn in/ear acclimatization...impressed, I am!

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,238 of 2,017
My initial listen to my new t40rp mk3's is quite impressive...my music ranges from Willy Nelson, to Bob Marley, to Junior Brown, to Los Lonely Boys; and I am mighty impressed with OOB sound.

I do wish for more open treble, but will decide after burn in/ear acclimatization...impressed, I am!

Definitely check them out after some burn-in. I feel like bass opened up, and maybe I'm crazy, but they're easier to drive now that I've been doing a few nights of pink noise. I'm driving them through a Denon DA-10 (as I want to use this setup for work).

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,239 of 2,017
Definitely check them out after some burn-in. I feel like bass opened up, and maybe I'm crazy, but they're easier to drive now that I've been doing a few nights of pink noise. I'm driving them through a Denon DA-10 (as I want to use this setup for work).

Will do, thank you. Pink noise tonight, too.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,240 of 2,017
I've read that planar becomes easier to drive over time like it's some sort of burn in effect, but I don't know if it's actually true...                       I'll pink noise the **** out of my T40RP Mk3s when I get them on Thursday and I'll compare before and after how hard they are to drive.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,241 of 2,017
I've read that planar becomes easier to drive over time like it's some sort of burn in effect, but I don't know if it's actually true...                       I'll pink noise the **** out of my T40RP Mk3s when I get them on Thursday and I'll compare before and after how hard they are to drive.

I'm afraid that's not true.....

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,243 of 2,017
I think the bass opening up made it "easier" for me to drive, since I don't have to feed more power into the headphones in order to get everything balanced how I like it. I'm also getting used to the sound of them, too.

I'm sorry but I don't believe in burn in since I've never experienced it in any of the headphones or IEM's that I own. However this is hardly the place to discuss it.

That the impedance or sensitivity of the headphones should change with usage is not correct though.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,244 of 2,017

Interesting on the various burn in opinions.

Normally I am in the crowd that says no effect, especially for cables and SS hardware.

However for the planar HPs I have experienced a significant change after 100hrs of play.

My T50RP mk3's require a lower volume setting then when new.  I was comparing them using my Grace to other dynamic HPs initially, and had to raise the volume about 5db initially to get a similar level to compare; now after a few hours the level is compatible.  The sound has always been amazing and I did not notice a change to that, just noticeably easier to drive.

My instructions for the HiFiMan HE400i actually recommended a 100 hr burn in and for them.  I did not notice a change in power requirement, but did find the sound quality both low and high frequency improved to what is now meeting my expectations.  They were not the initial WOW moment I have had with the T50RP's.

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,245 of 2,017
  Fostex is offering $50 rebate on any RP MK3 headphone set between April-August 2016. 

here is the link: http://www.americanmusicandsound.com/en/pages/promos/promo_fostex_50_rebate_RPMK3_2016.html

This is a fantastic offer.

This Rebate was a nice incentive to buy a pair of Fostex T50RP mk3 Studio Headphones (Semi-Open) back in Apr 2016

Ref: AM&S

Rebate Form

The rebate submission Form says delivery will be in 4 to 6 weeks.

Anyone have a positive experience with Fostex rebates?  I have not received mine.

I tried to query AM&S:

info@AmericanMusicAndSound.com 

which is the only listed support linkI could find, but it has so far fallen on deaf ears.

Interestingly the form shows no phone number or web page follow-up

Gotta love rebates !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back