Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jun 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,216 of 2,017
I just got Yamaha HPH MT-220 headphone and noticed that the earpad is quite thin but very comfy because of very soft cushion. And the inner edge of cushion is thinner than outer edge so ear gets closer to the driver unit. To my surprise, I found that this earpad is perfect for my T50RP MK3. It improved comfort drastically and keep the original sound quality comparing with original thin earpad.

Original earpad thickness is 1.5cm and this MT-220 earpad is 1.9cm but inner side gets thinner so ear almost touch the driver unit. The cotton fabric thickness is identical and both are very thin.

I am not sure if Yamaha MT220 earpad can be purchased separately but if it can, it may be the most ideal one (for me at least).  I own HM5 velour, HM5 Hybrid, HM5 pleather and Shure velour pads but personally found Mt220 earpad is the best and almost identical to original earpad sound.

Here is a photo to compare thickness between MT220 (Left) and MK3 original earpad (Right)

Here is a photo to see how MT220 earpad inner edge of cushion is recessed.

Here are a couple of photos after both sides earpads are changed to MT220's.

Hope it helps other MK3 owners. :)

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,217 of 2,017
Is there a reason why you have your 840 pads around the outside rather than in the crack where the stock pads go?
I think that is the MK2 model which as I understand doesn't have the area around the baffle to wrap the pads like the MK3.

Correct: Mk II. I like the Shure 840 pads... But I removed the cloth dust barrier from the pads.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #1,218 of 2,017
Is there a reason why you have your 840 pads around the outside rather than in the crack where the stock pads go?

Mk2 in fact does not have the gap for the pad, so the lip goes around the cup. And, I didn't pick up that the mk3 has that gap...I wonder how covering that (ala mk2) would affect the sound?

Hopefully picking up a pair of T40RP mk3's tomorrow to compliment my T20RP mk2's. I would rather have a closed back headphone for isolation...

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,219 of 2,017
Mk2 in fact does not have the gap for the pad, so the lip goes around the cup. And, I didn't pick up that the mk3 has that gap...I wonder how covering that (ala mk2) would affect the sound?

Hopefully picking up a pair of T40RP mk3's tomorrow to compliment my T20RP mk2's. I would rather have a closed back headphone for isolation...

You won't be disappointed with the T40RP MK3. I'm running pink noise through it when I'm not using it so that I can help with the burn-in. I've loved every single tone it's produced so far :)

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,220 of 2,017

I have tried it both ways, I think I prefer it wrapped around like you had on the mk2.

You won't be disappointed with the T40RP MK3. I'm running pink noise through it when I'm not using it so that I can help with the burn-in. I've loved every single tone it's produced so far :)

Can confirm, these headphones sound excellent! I really want to experiment with modding but I am a little scarred.

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,222 of 2,017
I just got Yamaha HPH MT-220 headphone and noticed that the earpad is quite thin but very comfy because of very soft cushion. And the inner edge of cushion is thinner than outer edge so ear gets closer to the driver unit. To my surprise, I found that this earpad is perfect for my T50RP MK3. It improved comfort drastically and keep the original sound quality comparing with original thin earpad.

Original earpad thickness is 1.5cm and this MT-220 earpad is 1.9cm but inner side gets thinner so ear almost touch the driver unit. The cotton fabric thickness is identical and both are very thin.

I am not sure if Yamaha MT220 earpad can be purchased separately but if it can, it may be the most ideal one (for me at least).  I own HM5 velour, HM5 Hybrid, HM5 pleather and Shure velour pads but personally found Mt220 earpad is the best and almost identical to original earpad sound.

Here is a photo to compare thickness between MT220 (Left) and MK3 original earpad (Right)

Any change in sound?

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,223 of 2,017

Any change in sound?

Almost identical and I could not notice any major sound changes.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,224 of 2,017

Good to know. I will play/burn them in over the weekend. Thank you!

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,226 of 2,017
I own the T50rp mk3 and I hope that there is a beginners guide to mod this headphone.
Some step by step instructions and not complicated to do

This point of the thread is a good starting point:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/4110_30#post_7837614

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,227 of 2,017

Thanks, I find this helpful and they look like a good option.  Unfortunately, it does not appear that these pads can be ordered by themselves.

In looking at your pictures though, they look a lot like the Audio Technica ATH-M40/50x pads with a little more rectangular inside shape.  I wound up ordering third party set of MX0x replacement pads that are supposedly a little thinner and stiffer than the stock MX0x pads.  If they do fit the Fostex, they might be an easily available and inexpensive option comparable to the MT220 pads.  If they don't fit, it's a pretty inexpensive risk.  I'll post back once they arrive.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,229 of 2,017

Thanks, I find this helpful and they look like a good option.  Unfortunately, it does not appear that these pads can be ordered by themselves.

In looking at your pictures though, they look a lot like the Audio Technica ATH-M40/50x pads with a little more rectangular inside shape.  I wound up ordering third party set of MX0x replacement pads that are supposedly a little thinner and stiffer than the stock MX0x pads.  If they do fit the Fostex, they might be an easily available and inexpensive option comparable to the MT220 pads.  If they don't fit, it's a pretty inexpensive risk.  I'll post back once they arrive.

Good idea. I have not tried M50x earpad but it may work if it is thin and comfortable. It may be better to choose softer pad instead of stiffer. The purpose is to get ear as close as to the driver but still comfortable. Yam MT220 earpad is very soft so very comfy and inner edge of earpad recessed so ear gets very close to driver unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back