Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jul 6, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,276 of 2,017
The shure pads and vmoda cable is a pretty necessary add-on if you decent comfort for you pairs. But I just bought the MrSpeakers Alpha pads for my T40's(now modded to a baffled semi-open cans) and niw they are super comfy, I once wore them 6 hours straight wuthout any issues, but I am still yet to change the super short cables.

Did the alpha pads work well for sound though? I heard that the thickness of those pads, or any thick pads for that matter, made the sound totally change for the worse?

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,277 of 2,017
Did the alpha pads work well for sound though? I heard that the thickness of those pads, or any thick pads for that matter, made the sound totally change for the worse?

It does change it... for the better. Like, really, the soundstage is quite improved mainly being warmer and mids being smoother and highs clearer. I modded mine, I just removed the grille cover that makes them closed, stuffed some cotton inside the cups, and now they sound really warm. Plenty of bass, deep and controlled, highs are still crystal clear, mids still really smooth. The thing about my mod was that it improved the bass and the lower-mid freauencies.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #1,278 of 2,017

I have the angled zmf pads and it really change the sound. It transforms the original mid centric sound into full range. It is particularly obvious in the bass. It makes me think about the good old loudness filter :)
And comfort wise it's a pleasure.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,279 of 2,017
  I have the angled zmf pads and it really change the sound. It transforms the original mid centric sound into full range. It is particularly obvious in the bass. It makes me think about the good old loudness filter :)
And comfort wise it's a pleasure.

So just to confirm, it was a good change for the better? I've heard thicker pads ruin the sound and its limited to just a couple pads that are thin enough to keep the drivers close enough to preserve the original sound yet are still comfy enough to wear...? Were others wrong in saying that it needs thin pads such as the Shure 1540's?

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,280 of 2,017
Also wondering what replacement cables other than the V-Moda will work for the T50RP MK3? I love the look of the V-Moda replacement cable but I need a 1/4 inch plug for my amp so the V-Moda one unfortunately doesn't work out for me because it doesn't seem like it is compatible with a screw on adapter. Would something like this work?  

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KAKBHKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467800656&sr=8-5&keywords=headphone+replacement+cable

or is there only specific cables that will fit? If there are only few specific replacement cables that work can someone please suggest me a few 1/4 inch cable options or 1/8 inch that are compatible with a 1/4 inch adapter? Really appreciate it in advance!

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,281 of 2,017
Also wondering what replacement cables other than the V-Moda will work for the T50RP MK3? I love the look of the V-Moda replacement cable but I need a 1/4 inch plug for my amp so the V-Moda one unfortunately doesn't work out for me because it doesn't seem like it is compatible with a screw on adapter. Would something like this work?  

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KAKBHKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467800656&sr=8-5&keywords=headphone+replacement+cable

or is there only specific cables that will fit? If there are only few specific replacement cables that work can someone please suggest me a few 1/4 inch cable options or 1/8 inch that are compatible with a 1/4 inch adapter? Really appreciate it in advance!

Unfortunately the sennheiser cable will not work. They have a proprietary connector on the headphone side.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,285 of 2,017
  Okay so if I find another non-proprietary cable with a 1/4 inch adapter it will with the mk3s?

As long as the plug would fit into the recessed jack.  I don't think that would be a problem for most brands since it is a larger opening.  I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more Fostex specific after market cables being made.  I was actually looking for one myself as I was hoping to find one that was 4M long.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,286 of 2,017

As long as the plug would fit into the recessed jack.  I don't think that would be a problem for most brands since it is a larger opening.  I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more Fostex specific after market cables being made.  I was actually looking for one myself as I was hoping to find one that was 4M long.

So pretty much any 1/8 inch or 3.5mm jack should fit in it then? I like the look/length of the V-Moda, but like I said I need a 1/4 or at least one that can have a 1/4 inch adapter screwed on to fit my amp.. Might be safer to just get the V-Moda cable though and get one of those wired 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapters instead of a whole new cable that I'm not sure will fit.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,287 of 2,017
  So just to confirm, it was a good change for the better? I've heard thicker pads ruin the sound and its limited to just a couple pads that are thin enough to keep the drivers close enough to preserve the original sound yet are still comfy enough to wear...? Were others wrong in saying that it needs thin pads such as the Shure 1540's?

Well it's a question of taste. If you like the mids, don't change the pads. Even Shure pads will add a bit of bass. Actually the thickness of the pads will move the mids backwards and will widen the soundstage.. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,288 of 2,017
So pretty much any 1/8 inch or 3.5mm jack should fit in it then? I like the look/length of the V-Moda, but like I said I need a 1/4 or at least one that can have a 1/4 inch adapter screwed on to fit my amp.. Might be safer to just get the V-Moda cable though and get one of those wired 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapters instead of a whole new cable that I'm not sure will fit.

What's wrong with the 1/4" cable that comes with the Fostex? The 1/8" cable it comes with isn't the greatest and won't fit well with some jacks, but the 1/4" seems fine and is a good length for home use.

The VModa is a nice cable though - flexible with no memory and a nice soft material.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,289 of 2,017
  Well it's a question of taste. If you like the mids, don't change the pads. Even Shure pads will add a bit of bass. Actually the thickness of the pads will move the mids backwards and will widen the soundstage.. 

Really? I heard the further away the drivers got the less bass and more sibilant they got which is a big turnoff for me personally so I was trying to find the thinest pads also with air holes too. I'm finding it hard to know exactly what to order when everyone says different things on here and on other forums lol.. Guess I'll just have to guess and see what happens when I try them. I saw this post from a guy who did some tests with pads if anyone wants to take a look, not sure how accurate it is though: http://imgur.com/a/3o9Mg

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,290 of 2,017
What's wrong with the 1/4" cable that comes with the Fostex? The 1/8" cable it comes with isn't the greatest and won't fit well with some jacks, but the 1/4" seems fine and is a good length for home use.

The VModa is a nice cable though - flexible with no memory and a nice soft material.

The cable it comes with is like this plasticy,10 foot long, monster 1/4 inch plug which isn't usable since I'm planning on using it for desk use, also the baby right-angled cable isn't going to work either for me so I'm replacing it It's pretty common for people to replace it, I always see it suggested as a bundle on Amazon with the Shure 1540 Pads as well. I'm just going with the usually suggested V-Moda cable and getting V-Moda's 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapter to fit my amp now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back