Fostex HP-V8 Pure Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier Announced!
Aug 21, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #61 of 105
Well, it may sound good but wow... that is hand-down the single ugliest piece of audio equipment I've ever seen. What were they thinking hiding expensive tubes in something that looks like a toaster oven?

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #62 of 105
The specs are impressive and I for one love the sound of the HP-A8. If they can make that even smoother I am in for sure, but we can surely all agree that it is ugly a piece of high-end audio equipment ever. It looks so much like my microwave, even with the little digital timer in the corner.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #63 of 105
I got to hear this at RMAF! SPINE-TINGLING AMD GOOSEBUMP-INDUCING! Yes it deserves online shouting! I went from a stock TH900 on an HP-A4 to the same headphones on this V8 amp... WOAH huge difference! Detail was great, I didn't detect any technical lack but euphoric and lively definitely describe the attributes of this amp. I was a bit crushed when the rep said it would cost $8,000 USD, of course it's an obvious not-small improvement but I need a better job... Haha! The big tubes are Fostex branded, there was two little ones that were J&J branded that looked like E88CC (6DJ8 US equivalents?). It's about as big as a home theater AV/receiver, the bright volume numbers would probably be the only drawback aesthetically but I didn't mind the look. I know some amps of this price range look like an orchestra of tubes or whatever, but this would do a good job of protection.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #65 of 105
I also heard this amp at RMAF and I absolutely loved it. It sounded smooth as silk yet was very dynamic. I often hear people complain that the TH900 is too bright sounding but when paired with this amp I heard no brightness at all. I could have listened for hours... Personally, I like the way it looks but the price sure is painful and seems excessive. It only has one input so you will need to have a preamp if you have multiple sources like I do. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #69 of 105
 Yeah plus there are a lot of amps out there with considerably more power for less money including the cavallis and they put out considerably more power . But still the amp does look sexy but it is way out of my price range . I guess I am going to have to struggle with my ray samuels raptor otl . Oh well .

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #70 of 105
I have this on demo from Fostex at the moment :-

I don't have a lot of experience with large desktop amps. My default is a Eddie Current Zana Deux that's been modified and tweaked to my liking. I've got this HP-V8 for about a week or two for a listen so more to come later.

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #71 of 105
  I have this on demo from Fostex at the moment :-

I don't have a lot of experience with large desktop amps. My default is a Eddie Current Zana Deux that's been modified and tweaked to my liking. I've got this HP-V8 for about a week or two for a listen so more to come later.

Can hardly wait to hear your opinions, especially compared to the Zana! 

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #72 of 105

Can hardly wait to hear your opinions, especially compared to the Zana! 

I've added my early impressions of the HP-V8 into my signature. As 3-4 more days with it, I'll probably continue to revise my thoughts. If you have any questions or tests you'd like me to try don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to accomodate if I can. Sadly I have to return the amp on Sunday.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #73 of 105

I've added my early impressions of the HP-V8 into my signature. As 3-4 more days with it, I'll probably continue to revise my thoughts. If you have any questions or tests you'd like me to try don't hesitate to ask and I'll try to accomodate if I can. Sadly I have to return the amp on Sunday.

Thanks AnakChan.
I won't bother you with PMs but I do long for further impressions.
But as you say in your review, the price is rather high and we're comparing to a roughly 2.5k but still very special, unique and exquisite ZD here. I have the ZDS now (my second ZD) by the way.
I am interested in how this HP-V8 sounds but if I would spend 7k on a tube HP amp I think I'd rather spend it on a EC amp.
Still, looking forward to more impressions.

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #74 of 105
Hi, and thanks for your positive first impressions of this leviathan amp.
As you have it with you, can you test its driving ability? I'm thinking of my Beyer T1's, I have a feeling they would suit this beast, if they can go loud enough!

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #75 of 105
@Galvanic, unfortunately I don't have a pair of Beyer T1s I could try nor know anyone I can borrow from.

Tonight I may try the TH500RP off this amp. Admittedly not one of my fav headphones (as such never bothered to write anything about it). Let's see if this amp can breath some life into these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back