Fostex HP-V8 Pure Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier Announced!
Mar 31, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #77 of 105

@Galvanic, unfortunately I don't have a pair of Beyer T1s I could try nor know anyone I can borrow from.

Tonight I may try the TH500RP off this amp. Admittedly not one of my fav headphones (as such never bothered to write anything about it). Let's see if this amp can breath some life into these headphones.

Originally Posted by Galvanic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am jealous of your ears!

I'm gonna miss this amp too when Fostex collects it back!

Right now I'm giving the TH500RP and unfortunately, as much as the HP-V8 can do, it can't salvage the the level of my sonice expecations. The TH500RP still sounds somewhat veiled and "inaccurate" to my ears - possibly I'm too used to the likes of what the TH-900, Stax SR-007Mk1/SR-009 can produce.

However if I "reset my mind" and accept the TH500RP as a more relaxed and laid back headphone where I'm not seeking detail, accuracy but just want something more "chill" then the HP-V8 does bring that out in the TH500RP. Kinda like when you're recovering from a hangover, you don't want loud thumping or shrilling shattering the eardrums but want something more calming in the background without demanding your focus on it, then the HP-V8 can make the TH500RP more musical with nice 3D spatial imaging.

From this perspective I probably enjoy the TH500RP off the HP-V8 more than the Zana Deux.

Apr 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #78 of 105
So I've been playing with the HP-V8 a little more and just thought I'd play around with the Impedance and Gain selectors. On my earlier impressions for the TH-900 I listening to mainly on the low impedance low gain. I used the high impedance high gain for the TH-500RP.

I decided to try the high impedance high gain for the TH-900 and it gave vocals more weight. Midrange in general was a little more meaty. Although I'm sure the setting is not a proper match for the TH-900, but I actually prefer it.

Overall the amp sounds very engaging and magical. I'm dreading having to return it tomorrow.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #80 of 105
Does anyone have a manual on this? I'm trying to figure out if it's balanced design or the 4-pin XLR is simply for convenience. I don't see XLR input on the back, just 4-pin XLR output for HPs.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #85 of 105
Where has this beauty been hiding all my life?
Is it still in production?
Couldn't find any dealers offering it at all...

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #86 of 105
Where has this beauty been hiding all my life?
Is it still in production?
Couldn't find any dealers offering it at all...
Sadly, it was discontinued soon after it was introduced onto the market. I am also under the impression that Fostex destroyed many of the remaining units that were at the factory. It's a shame because it was an incredible sounding amp.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #87 of 105
Sadly, it was discontinued soon after it was introduced onto the market. I am also under the impression that Fostex destroyed many of the remaining units that were at the factory. It's a shame because it was an incredible sounding amp.
Sad to hear that, but a relief for the wallet.

That glass front, that makes you able to see the tube glow even with cage.
The use of 300B and KT88, truly unique.

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #88 of 105
Did they? I still check the product page from time to time because I really liked the sound, and they (still) list three EU distributors.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #89 of 105
Did they? I still check the product page from time to time because I really liked the sound, and they (still) list three EU distributors.
Well they certainly removed it from the menu
Screenshot_20220130-130445_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back