Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,126 of 1,448
Like i said, i haven't had a problem, and you know what happens with some firmware upgrades and SQ.......just say AK120.  And it is like a virgin, once you do it, you can't go back.
blink.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #1,127 of 1,448
Quote:
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get exactly this problem with my Classic - it's the only thing I don't like about my HP-P1.  Every time I power up the Classic I need to skip a track before it is able to play.  I presume there's still no way for consumers to update their own firmware on these devices? (I am in the UK so not sure it's practical to send away?)  I would LOVE to get this update!

Craig

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,128 of 1,448
@ExpatinJapan: How did you contact fostex about your HP-P1? I'm having similar issues with my unit.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,129 of 1,448
Fully Toxic HP-P1....LOD and Cables with Silver Poison....

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,130 of 1,448
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?

From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load) 
which i presume is the first setting.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,131 of 1,448
Quote:
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?

From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load) 
which i presume is the first setting.

Thanks in advance.

Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.

ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome. 

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,132 of 1,448

Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.

ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome. 

HP-V1 had power issues recently, when solved it should go prod soon.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,133 of 1,448
More questions.

When feed my home system via the fostex

Should i
Use the digital out (with optical cable).
Or the line out (3.5 to double rca cable).

Do they both use the fostex DAC and bypass the amp?
What are the benefits of each.

-----------------------------

Also when charging from the wall does it charge my ipod also?

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,134 of 1,448
Hi Expat,

Line out will be using the Fostex DAC - this is now an analogue signal which has started as digital from the iPod.

The optical out is a digital signal - in effect the Fostex is acting as a coax to optical converter and is not processing the signal, it is enabling the iPod to be a digital transport, similar to the Wadia iTransport and other digital docks. This is how I'm using it at present - hooked up to a Naim Dac V1, an infinitely superior Dac.

Which is the crux of your query in essence. If the dac in your stereo is inferior to the Fostex or if you don't have one, then line out. If you have a better dac, then optical and use as a transport.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Giles

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,135 of 1,448
I leave my HP-P1 going 24/7 from an Apple (smallest version) mains-USB. Both the HP-P1 and the iPod Touch remain full charged so there must be enough power to charge and run the devices simultaneously. I have had problems with a poor quality USB cable, they couldn't carry the power needed to the HP-P1, the supplied USB cable works fine. 

I believe the DAC filters are passed to the digital out. If you want to use the HP-P1 DAC use line out, if you have a better DAC to use try the digital out. The headphone amp should not be involved in the line out (has it's own I believe) or digital out. I can use the headphone out and the line simultaneously.

Ah ... HP-P1 ... you've still got it. :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,139 of 1,448

Will the HP-V1 be competitive with the ASP TU-06/TU-05b or WA7?

[OT] I actually can't remember the sound (except that it was bassier than expected) so I can't definitely say how they'd compare against the A2P's or Woo WA7. However, I'm kind of inclined to think it's competitors (or peers) are more like the Continentals, GoVibe, The Tube, Go-DAP TT (minus the DAC portion), etc.
I never really read much about the specs of the WA7 despite having borrow and listen to it twice, but the A2P's are Class A hybrid & full Class A transportable amps with a healthy power source driving it. So comparing the HP-V1 to them would be like comparing apples to oranges.
[/OT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back