Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,111 of 1,448
Quote:
Hmm, that is interesting too.
Maybe the volume bar disappearing was attuned to an earlier Apple OS and Fostex firmware.

I will have to dig out the old iphone3 or is it 3G(?).

I think I remember some unwanted behaviour with my old 3GS, but it wasn't the volume bar not disappearing. When I turned off the HP-P1, the 3GS continued to play music through the internal speaker. A perfect match is the iPod Touch 2G, no problems at all.

Add: I think I'll wait until I have another DAC/Amp and can let the HP-P1 journey to Fostex for latest firmware. Seems the only way as I don't think anybody in Australia has the ability to update firmware on it.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,113 of 1,448
Quote:
The turn around should be quick.
My turn around was 5 days total including repairs.

*I will check out other idevices with the Fostex tonight.

Indeed, when HP-P1 first becomes superseded it will be time. Meanwhile I'm waiting for the HP-PV, it's hard work, I'm avoiding gear junkie behaviour so I'll hang in there and refrain from buying at least until then. (Nuforce cube for emergency headphone use during the week.)

I can test iPod Touch 2G, 4G and iPhone 3GS for known bugs, after the weekend.

Hopefully your Picolino shows some improved transparency over the stock cable. That's all I get from the ADL when I use T5p headphones.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,114 of 1,448
How would the Fostex compliment something like the k3003's? I have been looking to step up from my e17 and the Fostex would give me the ability to play from my iPhone 5 when I listen to iTunes Radio - which isn't often, only when I want to "discover" new music.

Likewise, would it be enough to drive the HD800s should I want to use them away from my desktop rig?

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,115 of 1,448
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,117 of 1,448
Quote:
I have an ipod Classic that i use with the Fostex and have not had that problem.  I got the Fostex after the last firmware upgrade but not sure what firmware that was.  

If you wanted to see which firmware you have do this:

Connect HP-P1 to iPhone or iPod Touch on which the iOS is running. Then, access the “Setting”, “General” and “About” in order. Next, scroll the display downward and check the “HP-P1” setting. If the “Serial Number: Beta20111108dbg01” and “Firmware Revision: 1.1.1” are displayed. This is the latest version. If you dont have this version then yours is the old version.

I copied and pasted from a Moon audio post.

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,119 of 1,448
Quote:
1.1.2 for me heehee

Braggart!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,123 of 1,448

From what I've read, subsequent updates address changes introduced with iOS updates only, eg. remove volume bar when HP-P1 is attached.

My iPod Touch 2G works flawless, whereas iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 3GS have iOS updated further, thus the volume bar is present. Apart from this I can find not difference in look or sound.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,124 of 1,448

From what I've read, subsequent updates address changes introduced with iOS updates only, eg. remove volume bar when HP-P1 is attached.

My iPod Touch 2G works flawless, whereas iPod Touch 4G and iPhone 3GS have iOS updated further, thus the volume bar is present. Apart from this I can find not difference in look or sound.

Minus from Fistex Hp P 1 that we can not update by our self .
You must send to Fostex Japan or get the update from your Fostex local dealer.
Lucky me i can update from Jaben local store , Jsben staff help me to update .
Now they don't have the firmware 1.1.2

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #1,125 of 1,448
Unlike all the firmware chatter on the PS Audio PW DACII thread, this firmware seems to be centered around function and not sound quality. I am fine with the version I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back