Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jul 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,141 of 1,448
Quote:
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?

From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load) 
which i presume is the first setting.

Thanks in advance.

think these are them,.... still interpreting them.
(via innerfidelity).

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,146 of 1,448
Quote:

This is my setup too. Let's me enjoy listening to music when I'm away from the heavy. Let us know your impressions when you get a chance.

First impressions: clarity, resolution, power in spades.  Great combination with the T5P.  Nearer to a miniature version of my home set up than I expected to be able to achieve.  Looks like I'm out of the  game for a while in respect of the portable/office category :)

Real nubie question alert - what do you guys use to strap the HP-P1 to an iPod for when you carry it around?  

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,147 of 1,448
Quote:
Congrats. Enjoy, tis a great little device Mr.Saint.

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,148 of 1,448
First impressions: clarity, resolution, power in spades.  Great combination with the T5P.  Nearer to a miniature version of my home set up than I expected to be able to achieve.  Looks like I'm out of the  game for a while in respect of the portable/office category :)

Real nubie question alert - what do you guys use to strap the HP-P1 to an iPod for when you carry it around?  

Silicone straps, they look like large rubber bands.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,149 of 1,448
Quote:

I use this to protect the HP-P1. I cut holes in the bottom for access to connections. Fits a bit snug but protects really well.
And the rubber bands Dallan is referring too is something like this

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,151 of 1,448
Handsome Ehr33! Looks like Fiio 30pin to USB-A interconnect also?

I use a Vera wooden shell and band it onto the HP-P1 so I can easily slide an iPod Touch out. I treat the HP-P1 more as a transportable than portable. 

I am eagerly awaiting the HP-V1 as an adjunct to the transportable setup. I hope it can match the HP-P1 audio quality precedent.

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,154 of 1,448
Quote:
Handsome Ehr33! Looks like Fiio 30pin to USB-A interconnect also?

I use a Vera wooden shell and band it onto the HP-P1 so I can easily slide an iPod Touch out. I treat the HP-P1 more as a transportable than portable. 

I am eagerly awaiting the HP-V1 as an adjunct to the transportable setup. I hope it can match the HP-P1 audio quality precedent.

Transportable is exactly right. Its sitting on my desk in the office beside me as I type.  Can't see me riding the subway with it though. Still need some IEMs for that. And then I'll be done (yeah right) 
size]

Jul 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,155 of 1,448
Just wanted to give my .02 on this amp/dac. I've paired it with an iphone 4 and some stock se535's. The sound is great, but it all comes down to how well the track was recorded and mastered to begin with. The details I hear from this DAC combined with the amplification are much better than the standard media players and sound cards I've tortured my ears with over the years, but again, some tracks will sound significantly better than others. Thanks to all of the head-fiers who gave me great information to decide with. This upgrade was worth it!
smily_headphones1.gif

If anyone has some input on what cables would be a decent upgrade for my iems I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to cap my budget at $350 tops. I've spent way too much on this setup already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back