Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #196 of 494
Mine are unusable on iOS. 1-10 drops (left bud always) per minute while out walking. Sometimes the dropout lasts a few seconds or longer. I had to go back to AirPods I couldn’t stand the choppiness.

Never had this problem with my B&W PX or the Sony wf1000xm3.

I contacted drop, hopefully they can replace these or return. Doesn’t matter if they sound good if they are unusable. I heard some promise in the sound, but honestly can’t form an opinion in this state.
I haven't had a chance to test outdoors unfortunately. I was going to do it after the update, but that entire fiasco happened. Hopefully the dropouts aren't a widespread issue, though I do remember drop outs being an issue (occurred outdoors more than in) with the Sony WF-1000XM(1) when they first released (I know from experience) but it was eventually fixed with firmware updates. Suffice to say, Sony has had a lot of time in the TWS game. I don't think it's fair to compare to the PX since those aren't TWS, the PI7 would be a better comparison, though they don't have these issues from what I've read.

I hope they're able to deal with your issue whether it be replacing hardware or figuring out the issues if they're software side. I'm curious what's going to happen if I go for a walk tomorrow.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #197 of 494
Mine are unusable on iOS. 1-10 drops (left bud always) per minute while out walking. Sometimes the dropout lasts a few seconds or longer. I had to go back to AirPods I couldn’t stand the choppiness.

Never had this problem with my B&W PX or the Sony wf1000xm3.

I contacted drop, hopefully they can replace these or return. Doesn’t matter if they sound good if they are unusable. I heard some promise in the sound, but honestly can’t form an opinion in this state.
This just occurred to me, but just out of curiosity, are you using any of the SoundID features right now? I have those turned off currently. I know with the Drop Panda, they could cause the headphones to cut out often in annoying ways (Drop may have fixed this eventually with a firmware update though it's been a while since I used the headphone; I should probably check). But if you are, try turning off all the SoundID features and seeing if it's related to that.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #198 of 494
If I get them in time tomorrow, I'll test them out on a run (through a radio interference noisy area) without SoundID and without the firmware update with SBC on my smartwatch which is pretty much a worst case scenario for Bluetooth audio stability.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #199 of 494
Mine probably won’t arrive till the end of the week or soon after (you guys got first priority!), but as soon as I saw someone on Drop post their firmware update had hung on several different discussion threads, I decided to see what kind of troubleshooting steps were available. This kind of thing isn’t common with firmware updates, it it is one of the few things that can go weird. Since the firmware update is performed through SoundID, I emailed Sonarworks to see if they have any tips and troubleshooting steps. I already wrote a checklist of best practices (based on when I used to work for a Genius Bar), but we’ll see if Sonarworks has any additional suggestions and I can disseminate to all of you to help smooth the process.

One good thing is that if the firmware update is interrupted, putting the earbuds back into the case reverts back to the current firmware and you can try updating again.

I’ve also noticed a few TWS earbuds in general have issues with Bluetooth stability if your source is in your back left pocket (since the right earpiece is the primary connection, also the one to use if you need a mono headset for a quick call). Our “meatbag“ bodies are pretty good insulators, and outside there’s actually less chance for the signal to bounce off objects and come back to your ears. I expect that a smartwatch or a music source in your front right pocket will be better, if you are outdoors :)

I noticed a few people trying to figure out the touch controls. I’ve noticed that improving my blood circulation helps with touch controls, which makes me wonder if my new touchscreen-compatible gloves might help when I’m outside on a walk in cold weather. Also, here is a diagram of the touch controls, the finalized edition will be added to the website soon:
321D1205-228A-4C36-ACF6-CF990E3F00F2.jpeg

382B3BE9-F2EC-4C2A-A6AB-049384C459A1.jpeg

So, for Transparent mode, you tap the left earpiece once. For ANC, you touch and hold for a second, and NAR is toggled by holding a touch for three seconds. I like that swiping for volume is on a different earpiece than swiping to backtrack/advance music playback; prevents accidentally starting a track over when all you wanted was to turn down the volume a bit.

the left on the right and right on the left kind of irritates me
I get it! This was one of those design decisions between two trade-offs. We decided it was a minor inconvenience, in trade for the benefit of the earpieces fitting closer together and allowing the case to be more compact and pocket friendly. Awesome pictures! I think those will help people get a good sense of scale, the digital grain doesn’t obscure this information :)

Glad you are enjoying the sound quality! Axel worked on it for a few years, I’m looking forward to hearing it too!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #200 of 494
This just occurred to me, but just out of curiosity, are you using any of the SoundID features right now? I have those turned off currently. I know with the Drop Panda, they could cause the headphones to cut out often in annoying ways (Drop may have fixed this eventually with a firmware update though it's been a while since I used the headphone; I should probably check). But if you are, try turning off all the SoundID features and seeing if it's related to that.
I am not at the moment. I did go through the process of customization, but it didn't give me a preferable EQ curve, so I switched it off. I went through the process while sitting in a car waiting for takeout, so not the ideal acoustic environment--I've earmarked to try it again when I'm in a quiet room. The key, I think, is that the 2nd part of the process requires a "hearing test" with VERY low level signals, and that part of the test really jacked up the EQ I thought was pretty good from the first test.

I am planning to pair these to my ZX507 today to see if stability is better, as they are unusable outdoors with my iPhone, which is my primary use-case for TWS.

Have you had any volume-related challenges? I am constantly running these at or near max volume just to get acceptable volume out of them. No such problems with airpods, my old Sony WF-1000XM3, or my PX. I do listen to a lot of well-recorded and old classical, so not exactly loud sources, so I may be an edge case.

I’ve also noticed a few TWS earbuds in general have issues with Bluetooth stability if your source is in your back left pocket (since the right earpiece is the primary connection, also the one to use if you need a mono headset for a quick call). Our “meatbag“ bodies are pretty good insulators, and outside there’s actually less chance for the signal to bounce off objects and come back to your ears. I expect that a smartwatch or a music source in your front right pocket will be better, if you are outdoors :)

I noticed a few people trying to figure out the touch controls. I’ve noticed that improving my blood circulation helps with touch controls, which makes me wonder if my new touchscreen-compatible gloves might help when I’m outside on a walk in cold weather. Also, here is a diagram of the touch controls, the finalized edition will be added to the website soon:
I understand that I'm not using the ideal configuration, but I have no such issues with my airpods (1st gen or current) or my (now lost) WF-1000XM3. With all due respect, I am not going to change my many-years-old habit of phone in the left rear pocket to suit a pair of earphones. I'll just use a better-performing set of earphones.

I suspect, though, that either these earphones work very poorly with iOS (I will test today with Android to see if there's a difference), or I have a bad pair. I have dropouts on iOS even with the phone in my front shirt pocket (like an old man with a pocket protector)... The dropouts were better, but still there. That's really unacceptable performance.

This is all outdoors, mind. Indoors with the phone in front of me I have no problems.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #201 of 494
I am not at the moment. I did go through the process of customization, but it didn't give me a preferable EQ curve, so I switched it off. I went through the process while sitting in a car waiting for takeout, so not the ideal acoustic environment--I've earmarked to try it again when I'm in a quiet room. The key, I think, is that the 2nd part of the process requires a "hearing test" with VERY low level signals, and that part of the test really jacked up the EQ I thought was pretty good from the first test.

I am planning to pair these to my ZX507 today to see if stability is better, as they are unusable outdoors with my iPhone, which is my primary use-case for TWS.

Have you had any volume-related challenges? I am constantly running these at or near max volume just to get acceptable volume out of them. No such problems with airpods, my old Sony WF-1000XM3, or my PX. I do listen to a lot of well-recorded and old classical, so not exactly loud sources, so I may be an edge case.

I understand that I'm not using the ideal configuration, but I have no such issues with my airpods (1st gen or current) or my (now lost) WF-1000XM3. With all due respect, I am not going to change my many-years-old habit of phone in the left rear pocket to suit a pair of earphones. I'll just use a better-performing set of earphones.

I suspect, though, that either these earphones work very poorly with iOS (I will test today with Android to see if there's a difference), or I have a bad pair. I have dropouts on iOS even with the phone in my front shirt pocket (like an old man with a pocket protector)... The dropouts were better, but still there. That's really unacceptable performance.

This is all outdoors, mind. Indoors with the phone in front of me I have no problems.
SoundID is still using my cruddy hearing test from the Panda which says one of my ears is severely more deaf than the other. I don't use that optimization. Though I did try the general flat/neutral EQ that SoundID gives. I honestly prefer the stock tuning of the drivers though. I probably should redo the hearing test at some point.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #202 of 494

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #203 of 494
Hi can someone confirm if those do APTX-Hd since my phone does not have aptx adaptive or LHDC built in.
I intend to use them with a samsung phone that has only ldac and basic aptx or a mp3 player that has aptx-hd
Do they sound as good in apt-x adaptive as in apt-x standard(no HD)?
Thanks

Any comparison of grell tws vs other tws pairs... i am unsure if they are worth buying yet so early before software fix and functionalities

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #204 of 494
Hi can someone confirm if those do APTX-Hd since my phone does not have aptx adaptive or LHDC built in.
I intend to use them with a samsung phone that has only ldac and basic aptx or a mp3 player that has aptx-hd
Do they sound as good in apt-x adaptive as in apt-x standard(no HD)?
Thanks

Any comparison of grell tws vs other tws pairs... i am unsure if they are worth buying yet so early before software fix and functionalities
AFAIK these and most new IEMs with the QCC3040 or 5141 don't support the now legacy AptX HD explicitly, and only have AptX Adaptive. Your phone needs to support AptX Adaptive to get the higher bit rate, otw AptX Adaptive performs similarly to AptX standard.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #205 of 494
AFAIK these and most new IEMs with the QCC3040 or 5141 don't support the now legacy AptX HD explicitly, and only have AptX Adaptive. Your phone needs to support AptX Adaptive to get the higher bit rate, otw AptX Adaptive performs similarly to AptX standard.
Exactly, so with TWS/1 there is no individual aptX HD to be supported.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #206 of 494
Thanks so i guess it s the same for B&O EQ and B&W Pi7 that have also aptx-adaptive while i am not sure which chip those 2 are using

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #207 of 494
Too late anyway, i just received an email the Grell are already on their way.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #209 of 494
Help needed.

The TWS/1 refuse to connect with the SoundID, any ideas?

Strange thing is that I can perform the sound personalisation test but they won't show as connected and perform the update.
I believe the TWS/1 needs the firmware update to “upload” the tailored SoundID into the earpieces. 4 people on drop reported that the update is slow right now… but Soundworks is working on it, and anyway it did eventually complete for most of them! I’m trying to find out what “pairing with BT Classic” means right now… might have a clearer picture for you tomorrow.

Too late anyway, i just received an email the Grell are already on their way.
I’ve been using regular aptX (and AAC) for years, it’s pretty great. When I go from lossless to AptX/AAC on my other devices, the more efficient codecs have a smoother and slightly less incisive sound… some might actually prefer the aptX/AAC sound, others might not hear a difference at all!

The even higher resolution LHDC is also something that can be added to phones. Savitech is working on an official iOS app (I think it’s in the approvals process?), but LHDC can already be added to android devices through many apps such as the FiiO music player.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #210 of 494
One thing I noticed, I’m not sure why it is, but randomly, when I put both buds in the case and close it, it’ll make a very loud, audible screeching sound before shutting off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back