Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #226 of 494
These are the foamies included WITH the Grells which should be TWS friendly Comply TrueGrips. FWIW the same tips fit in my Soundpeats H1 case fine.
Oh :/ Sorry about that then. That would be annoying indeed

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #229 of 494
Finally got mine to update. SoundID must have fixed things on the backend because they updated super-fast.

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #230 of 494
Sorry if this is a Repeated Question, What's the Difference between the Drop Version and the one on Grell Site? Is it just aesthetic branding?
As others have mentioned, the earpiece (IEM) is the same, but the drop version comes with three sizes of midnight blue wing tips (and Drop rewards points etc).

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #231 of 494
Thanks to everyone who has been enjoying their recent deliveries and trying to get the most out of the TWS/1!

We don’t want to turn this discussion thread into a support thread, but we do see that help requests are part of the current discussion. We did reach out to Sonarworks and they are dedicating resources to improving the firmware updating experience (as some of you have noticed!), and they did have a piece of advice which we will share below! Remember, you can reach us with:

support@grellaudio.com

Factory reset (this has “Have You tried turning it off and on again” magic): ”Forget” the TWS1x pairing from your devices’ Bluetooth settings. Touch and hold both earpiece’s capacitive touch fields simultaneously, for 10 seconds. Then, put the earpieces back in the charging case for a handful of seconds, take them out, and manually pair them with your audio sources again (hold the right earpiece’s touch field for 5 seconds).

Firmware Update Tip: Sonarworks’ software expert has informed us that it is possible to select the grell audio TWS/1 with the app before pairing it with the phone itself. In this way, they were able to reproduce the frozen update issue some of you reported. They are working on changing the app to prevent that, BUT it should solve several issues if you pair the earpieces to the smartphone (in iOS/Android system settings) first before attempting an update through the app.

Sonarworks Tailored EQ profile: If you are having trouble getting your SoundID Profile loaded into the grell audio TWS/1, please check if your unit has the latest firmware.

Firmware Update steps:
  1. Make sure the earpiece has at least 50% battery charge (15 minutes in the case should do).
  2. Use home WiFi, not public WiFi or cellular data if possible (limit chances for interference or lost signal).
  3. Pair both TWS/1 earpieces to your phone (iOS/Android settings app), leave them on a table.
  4. Use the SoundID app, run the firmware updater. You should be done after this!
  5. Update may take several minutes. Some people say it was very slow and seemed to get stuck at 50%, but eventually it finished. If update fails or appears to stay frozen in progress for over 20 minutes, place both earpieces back into the charging case to restart back in the last used firmware.
  6. If update fails, Re-download firmware later after checking steps 1 through 4.
Good news: if you lose connection to the firmware server, and put the earpieces back in the charging case, the TWS1x is set to automatically restart and use the last completed firmware install, so you won’t brick your device.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #232 of 494
Firmware Update Tip: Sonarworks’ software expert has informed us that it is possible to select the grell audio TWS/1 with the app before pairing it with the phone itself. In this way, they were able to reproduce the frozen update issue some of you reported. They are working on changing the app to prevent that, BUT it should solve several issues if you pair the earpieces to the smartphone (in iOS/Android system settings) first before attempting an update through the app.
This explains why I didn't run into that frozen updating screen that a lot of people were talking about.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #233 of 494
This explains why I didn't run into that frozen updating screen that a lot of people were talking about.
Oddly enough, did select the Drop version and was still freezing. Moot now. I'm good to go. These things are super comfy for me. Hardly notice they're in. Smooth sound.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #234 of 494
Oddly enough, did select the Drop version and was still freezing. Moot now. I'm good to go. These things are super comfy for me. Hardly notice they're in. Smooth sound.
It never let me connect if I tried to choose the Grell version. But I connected through my phone's BT settings initially then updated using the app (I honestly forgot about the app until someone brought it up). They conform to my ear very well, I'm happy with how they fit. The sound is very smooth, I'm quite impressed with how they are tuned.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #235 of 494
Glad to hear the positive experiences!

@tinyman392 no idea how you got these things to update. I'm on iOS 15.2 and using SoundID, the update just hangs on "Updading." Yes, there's a typo in the app. No progress and I've tried rebooting, resetting, repairing, etc.
1639681616501.gif

Noted, will inform Sonarworks 😂

@Evshrug

Thank you but the problem is that my unit refuses to be recognized by the Sound ID.
More strange is that I can perform the sound test (I can hear for example the distorted guitars) but the Sound ID will not connect to TWS/1...
It never let me connect if I tried to choose the Grell version. But I connected through my phone's BT settings initially then updated using the app (I honestly forgot about the app until someone brought it up).
Interesting, perhaps the Drop + Grell TWS1x update is linked correctly and the grell audio TWS/1 firmware isn’t. Noted! Or, maybe you need to select the specific version depending on where you bought it. I can’t tell if the people commenting here bought from grell audio or Drop.com!

They conform to my ear very well, I'm happy with how they fit. The sound is very smooth, I'm quite impressed with how they are tuned.
Woo whoo! I’m jealous! Apparently, mine is in a warehouse in Virginia, which geographically isn’t too far, but for some reason it hasn’t been dispatched quite yet. Soon soon!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #236 of 494
It never let me connect if I tried to choose the Grell version. But I connected through my phone's BT settings initially then updated using the app (I honestly forgot about the app until someone brought it up). They conform to my ear very well, I'm happy with how they fit. The sound is very smooth, I'm quite impressed with how they are tuned.
What do you mean?
The Sound ID app or another?
How to upgrade without choose the Grell version?

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #237 of 494
I’m really enjoying my set right now. The build Quality is higher than I was expecting, the fit is great with wings attached, and the sound tuning is pretty great for outdoor use or lively environments.

I’m really not sold on SoundID though. After doing the short Q and A test, I didn’t like the result. I then did the long form and disliked the results even more. Oh well. Default EQ for now.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #239 of 494
Unfortunately, I decided to return my Grells.

My initial impression with them was not positive, but they definitely improved as I continued to use them. After letting them bake for a bit (and one factory reset), all my touchpad sensitivity, connectivity issues, etc. wonkiness went away.

Re: SQ, the stock tuning is great; tending towards balanced with just a little bass bump to suit modern tastes. I just wish the volume was higher, they're my most quiet pair of TWS buds, by far. Transparency mode works really well, ANC is OK.

The main issue for me is the fit, I can't get them reasonably comfortable no matter what I try. The stubby nozzles + inner ear housing just don't fit my ears well. I would seriously recommend that Grell include a set of double flange and triple flange tips in the box to maybe fit a wider set of ears.

It's a shame esp. because the build quality is fantastic and oozes quality. I really love the all-metal case.

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #240 of 494
Unfortunately, I decided to return my Grells.

My initial impression with them was not positive, but they definitely improved as I continued to use them. After letting them bake for a bit (and one factory reset), all my touchpad sensitivity, connectivity issues, etc. wonkiness went away.

Re: SQ, the stock tuning is great; tending towards balanced with just a little bass bump to suit modern tastes. I just wish the volume was higher, they're my most quiet pair of TWS buds, by far. Transparency mode works really well, ANC is OK.

The main issue for me is the fit, I can't get them reasonably comfortable no matter what I try. The stubby nozzles + inner ear housing just don't fit my ears well. I would seriously recommend that Grell include a set of double flange and triple flange tips in the box to maybe fit a wider set of ears.

It's a shame esp. because the build quality is fantastic and oozes quality. I really love the all-metal case.
I must be lucky. I put on the Large silicone tips and the fit is excellent. I'm not having any issues outside of a couple unregistered taps. I hope these aren't my famous last words...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back