Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #211 of 494
I believe the TWS/1 needs the firmware update to “upload” the tailored SoundID into the earpieces. 4 people on drop reported that the update is slow right now… but Soundworks is working on it, and anyway it did eventually complete for most of them! I’m trying to find out what “pairing with BT Classic” means right now… might have a clearer picture for you tomorrow.

I’ve been using regular aptX (and AAC) for years, it’s pretty great. When I go from lossless to AptX/AAC on my other devices, the more efficient codecs have a smoother and slightly less incisive sound… some might actually prefer the aptX/AAC sound, others might not hear a difference at all!

The even higher resolution LHDC is also something that can be added to phones. Savitech is working on an official iOS app (I think it’s in the approvals process?), but LHDC can already be added to android devices through many apps such as the FiiO music player.
I will also echo that I've had an excellent experience with basic AptX on Android devices and AAC on Apple devices.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #212 of 494
I believe the TWS/1 needs the firmware update to “upload” the tailored SoundID into the earpieces. 4 people on drop reported that the update is slow right now… but Soundworks is working on it, and anyway it did eventually complete for most of them! I’m trying to find out what “pairing with BT Classic” means right now… might have a clearer picture for you tomorrow.

I’ve been using regular aptX (and AAC) for years, it’s pretty great. When I go from lossless to AptX/AAC on my other devices, the more efficient codecs have a smoother and slightly less incisive sound… some might actually prefer the aptX/AAC sound, others might not hear a difference at all!

The even higher resolution LHDC is also something that can be added to phones. Savitech is working on an official iOS app (I think it’s in the approvals process?), but LHDC can already be added to android devices through many apps such as the FiiO music player.
About the lhdc part, i mostly use streaming services for music so it s not great..but yeah i have installed fiio music player to try theblhdc feature

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #213 of 494
@tinyman392 no idea how you got these things to update. I'm on iOS 15.2 and using SoundID, the update just hangs on "Updading." Yes, there's a typo in the app. No progress and I've tried rebooting, resetting, repairing, etc.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #214 of 494
@tinyman392 no idea how you got these things to update. I'm on iOS 15.2 and using SoundID, the update just hangs on "Updading." Yes, there's a typo in the app. No progress and I've tried rebooting, resetting, repairing, etc.
Oof. Yeah, this seems to be a common issue (on here and Drop). There really isn’t a solution to it except to try again later. However, if you never get past the “updating” message, then you can still restart the headphones and use them (just no SoundID stuff). The headphones really should have come with the update pre-installed.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #215 of 494
Oof. Yeah, this seems to be a common issue (on here and Drop). There really isn’t a solution to it except to try again later. However, if you never get past the “updating” message, then you can still restart the headphones and use them (just no SoundID stuff). The headphones really should have come with the update pre-installed.
Completely agree re: updated. Yeah, was hoping to get a bit more volume by updating and EQing. Maybe their server is down or slammed.

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #216 of 494
Completely agree re: updated. Yeah, was hoping to get a bit more volume by updating and EQing. Maybe their server is down or slammed.
I lost volume when I updated. The SoundID settings will bring it back up to normal though.

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #217 of 494
Is there a trick to a) getting these to fit and b) getting taps to register? I can't get these into my right ear and I seemingly can't get taps on the left bud to register reliably to enter/exit transparency mode. 😟

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #218 of 494
I lost volume when I updated. The SoundID settings will bring it back up to normal though.
I'll keep trying over here!
Is there a trick to a) getting these to fit and b) getting taps to register? I can't get these into my right ear and I seemingly can't get taps on the left bud to register reliably to enter/exit transparency mode. 😟
I think they’re more taps that touch, at least for me. Then swipe up and down for volume.

Still, my experience has been hit or miss. Can’t get the firmware to update too.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #220 of 494
Someone in the Drop discussion said that tapping magically started working consistently for them after a few hours of use. I just sat down with them stuck in my head for 30min with music blasting. When I started testing them, tapping wouldn't work consistently on either touchpad. Now? Tapping works consistently for me. Huh, what? I guess I'll take it?

Re: fit: Comply foam tips + fins help me with fit, but IMHO it's still not a great fit and the stubby nozzle + bulbous driver housing is going to cause fittment issues for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #222 of 494
Has anyone run into an issue where the left bud will accept commands but won't play audio? I've tried resetting the pairing list, putting them back in the case, restarting my phone, etc. The right bud won't pass audio to the left one.

Edit: fixed via these steps in the Drop discussion:
Please try a factory reset by following these steps.
1) “Forget” the pairing from all source devices’ settings apps.
2) Hold the touch surfaces on both earpieces for ten seconds, then place them in the charging case.
3) Manually pair them with your source again.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #223 of 494
Has anyone figured out a setting in SoundID to boost volume without the SoundID tuning? I like the stock tuning, but I wish the volume was one or two notches higher. The FW patch worked just fine for me, but now the volume seems even lower.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #224 of 494
I just realized I can't get them to fit back in the case with the foam tips...
You probably need TWS-compatible foam tips, which are usually shorter. With that said my WF1000XM4's case pretty much accepts any standard eartip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back