Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Oct 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 494

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
Axel Grell may be the most legendary name in the entire headphone world, given that he’s the man behind Sennheiser’s biggest hits, including the 580/600/650, the 800, and even the Orpheus.

After leaving the company and founding Grell Audio in 2019, it was said that he was working on some portable earbuds with a focus on sound quality. Well, they were just unveiled - the TWS/1.

https://www.engadget.com/grell-audio-tws-1-earbuds-annoucement-040050084.html

Here’s the website: https://grellaudio.com/

They’re up for pre-order now and go on sale next month (November). And apparently there’s also going to be a Drop version called the tws.01.

I’m really curious to see the reviews for these. He’s quite the superstar in the headphone world, so I’m really curious to see what he can throw into the ring in the AirPods Pro world.

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 494
First review coming in from Germany says sound quality and signature is comparable with Senn Momentum True Wireless and ANC with Sony wf-1000xm4.

https://www.computerbase.de/2021-10...rs-test/2/#abschnitt_der_klang_der_grell_tws1

Wonder what's the signature like, will it be like sennheiser or different?
Each headphone I've created so far has a sound character of its own. But there are some things that are important for me:
- tonal balance
- small tolerances
- low THD
- enough low bass
- no boomy bass
- enough heights
- no hissy heights
- clear details
- no annoying details
- good soundstage
- good room reproduction
- "fast response"
and most important: it's fun to listen to music with the headphones!

But only a "test drive" can give you the impression how it sounds for you!

Enjoy the music!

Axel

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 494
Each headphone I've created so far has a sound character of its own. But there are some things that are important for me:
- tonal balance
- small tolerances
- low THD
- enough low bass
- no boomy bass
- enough heights
- no hissy heights
- clear details
- no annoying details
- good soundstage
- good room reproduction
- "fast response"
and most important: it's fun to listen to music with the headphones!

But only a "test drive" can give you the impression how it sounds for you!

Enjoy the music!

Axel
Great to see you here.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 494
Congrats @xlcans for getting this off the ground. I've got one pre-ordered.
Watching these in the tws thread. Gonna get the drop version because they come with stabilizer wings. Even though I generally do not like Drop and their wretched customer service. I'd prefer to buy direct and am puzzled by the decision to make the drop version the one with the extras. Axel feel free to join us in the tws thread too.

Oct 8, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 494
Watching these in the tws thread. Gonna get the drop version because they come with stabilizer wings. Even though I generally do not like Drop and their wretched customer service. I'd prefer to buy direct and am puzzled by the decision to make the drop version the one with the extras. Axel feel free to join us in the tws thread too.
I'm Gísli I helped Axel create the TWS/1 and the grell brand. Thought I would jump in an add some insight on the Drop decision. Initially the product was not designed to have added stabilizer wings, but when we started to work with the Drop team they mentioned that their community would really appreciate it. We then worked on updating the design to incorporate these wings in a nice way. And since the idea came from the Drop team and they have been a great partner for grell audio now and for Axel in the past, we decided that those stabilizer wings will only be available on the Drop version.

I'm btw totally new to Head-Fi do you mind pointing me in the right direction for the tws thread so I can follow that as well.

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 494
I'm Gísli I helped Axel create the TWS/1 and the grell brand. Thought I would jump in an add some insight on the Drop decision. Initially the product was not designed to have added stabilizer wings, but when we started to work with the Drop team they mentioned that their community would really appreciate it. We then worked on updating the design to incorporate these wings in a nice way. And since the idea came from the Drop team and they have been a great partner for grell audio now and for Axel in the past, we decided that those stabilizer wings will only be available on the Drop version.

I'm btw totally new to Head-Fi do you mind pointing me in the right direction for the tws thread so I can follow that as well.
Thanks for the response. It's great when developers provide feedback. Fair enough reasoning on Drop. Be prepared for unhappy customers as Drops customer service tends to be poor.

As for the true wireless thread here is a link:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-2483#post-16554175

Love to hear more about the technical aspects of the iems. Will these sound anything like the momentum true wireless?

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 494

Thanks for the response. It's great when developers provide feedback. Fair enough reasoning on Drop. Be prepared for unhappy customers as Drops customer service tends to be poor.

As for the true wireless thread here is a link:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-2483#post-16554175

Love to hear more about the technical aspects of the iems. Will these sound anything like the momentum true wireless?
Sorry for my slow response, been making sure to answer all of our customer questions as quickly as possible. Ensuring our customers are happy from the start! Axel is currently working on creating visual elements and graphs to show more detailed info on the overall sound. As soon as that is up on our site I will let you know and share that with you as well.

On the Drop side of things, I have a weekly running meeting with them, will touch base with them on this.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 494
Recently picked up a pair of WF-1000XM4 because it has LDAC, but being a fan of Senn and Mr. Grell (I also own the HD 820), wish I knew these were coming. Would've probably gone for them instead, despite no LDAC. Maybe I'll pick them up in due time. Can't wait to see some reviews.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 494
Read about these and immediately ordered them despite having APP and MTW which I love. The 700 and 820 are two of my favorites and the Sennheiser MTW 1 are by far the best sounding Bluetooth earbuds I’ve had so this was a no brainer. Very excited to see what comes from Mr. Grell. It’s pretty much all Sennheiser and ZMF in my collection so am very interested in whatever else he designs.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 494
I'm actually quite interested about these earbuds. They tic almost every demand I have for a pair of tws!

Will there be an app available as well? I'm especially after touch control customization :)

Interesting design choice with the stems, hopefully that will mean much better voice quality than your average tws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back