Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #166 of 494
@misery, I share your frustrations!

Yes. grell audio is unable to fix the worldwide shipping changes… not only have many workers quit their shipping jobs, but the magnitude of product shipping has boomed. Add to that, November/December has some of the highest shipping traffic of the entire year.

With that said, we did account for customs and other potential setbacks in our original estimates. Thus why we felt it was more transparent to share that we find this unusual and outside projections as well. Getting the product out has been the priority concern since the design was complete and the first production run was ready! We still anticipate deliveries to arrive at homes either late in the week or soon after, and about two weeks for new orders!
Don't think I asked for anybody to fix them, but the situation is only getting worse and it won't improve on its own. As of the 5th, there are 96 container ships sitting off the coast of Los Angeles waiting to dock and the current projections for remedying just this issue are pushed out to 2023. I haven't had a package delivered on time from any major carrier (especially USPS) in five months. Even Amazon no longer makes their same-day, next-day, or even 2-day projections with Prime shipping.

I think we're past the point of figuring out how to "fix" this problem. Companies need to dig deep into their delivery metrics, identify the underperformers, and adjust as necessary. There's additional onus on us, the customers, of providing this feedback (cough cough). FedEx should not be receiving business if their Home deliverers are so backed up that packages in the local hub are taking a week to make their destination. You don't acknowledge this as "what it is" if you want to see improvement. You take their business away and send it elsewhere.

Yes, it's a larger scale problem than just what Sennheiser/Grell are facing, but the writing's on the wall. When the "holiday rush" subsides and these shipping issues still remain, it's going to be a very sobering experience for everybody. Might as well anticipate that and, unfortunately, just telling us there's delays isn't going to be enough. That business approach turned me off (permanently) from Status Audio. I implore any sane businessman to not fall into the same trap.

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #167 of 494
My only question after reading this whole thread is how big is the case? Is it small enough to fit in the extra pocket of the jeans without being too big? Because the transition from the wf1000xm3 to xm4 made the case able to fit well in that pocket. How about the case for these?

These images were 'lifted' from: https://hereforgear.co/grell-tws-earphones-user-manual/grell-tws-earphones-user-manual/

You can get a rough estimate of length and width. There were no pictures of height measurement.

feat-46.png
cover.png

pai.png

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #168 of 494
It’s not the smallest ever total package, but neither is it the largest. It was designed with the right and left switched because the earpieces could be closer together and the case could be more compact.

Probably too big for putting in the same pocket as a phone, but I’ll take some pictures of it in my pants when I get one. I’m curious if it will ride well in the bottom of my pocket with my metal wallet on top. Of course, it will be easy to carry in jackets, hoodies with front pocket, bags, backpacks, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #170 of 494
I should hopefully have my set from Drop by tomorrow! Really excited to test these out. On paper, they seem perfect for my requirements.
Mine are out for delivery right now. So long as the delivery person doesn't pull a "wasn't available/business closed" BS again for a residential address, we're all good.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #173 of 494
Got them in today. They are a pretty large, but do fit snuggly in my ear and are more comfortable than they look. ANC performance is OK, maybe about average, but nothing stellar. I have an air purifier about 5-10 feet away from me running on full blast. While my AirPods Pro cancels out the noise almost completely, quite a bit of it is coming through with the TWS/1. It's passable, though definitely far from top tier. Once you get music going, that sound is drained out.

The sound is rather smooth and warm, lots of sub-bass focus with the top end of the midrange and treble kind of tapered off. It's an entirely inoffensive sound that is quite laid back; great for long listening sessions and non-fatiguing to boot. To get to my listening volume I have to run it to 68.75% (for reference my AirPods Pro require me to go to about 56.25% while the AirPods Max are at 62.5%), I do have sound check on on my iPhone though.

Edit: ANC and transparency both do cancel out internal noises as well. I'll get a better test on this later on today. I will note that my voice sounds natural while in ANC mode, but in transparency, my voice is topped off with quite a bit of sibilance. To add, there is a distinctive sound difference between transparency and ANC. The bass textures much more with more natural timbre in transparency mode; it's not nearly as thick.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #174 of 494
Any impressions regarding call quality? Considering their "Airpods style" stems I got high hopes for call quality :)

Also does it matter if your phone supports Snapdragon sound (ATPX voice)?

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #175 of 494
Any impressions regarding call quality? Considering their "Airpods style" stems I got high hopes for call quality :)

Also does it matter if your phone supports Snapdragon sound (ATPX voice)?
I'm using an iPhone, so no APTX support on that. I may test a call later. There is a firmware update for it already. Though hit's been sitting on 33% done for the past 5 minutes :/

Edit: it moved to 34%, I'm going to let this keep going.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #176 of 494
I'm using an iPhone, so no APTX support on that. I may test a call later. There is a firmware update for it already. Though hit's been sitting on 33% done for the past 5 minutes :/

PTSD flashback from when updating the Sennheiser MTW2 :ksc75smile:

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #178 of 494

Maybe it's a big one? Just being positive!

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #180 of 494
Do they provide firmware notes when you update?
I can't see any on the screen I'm currently on. They may have provided some, when I was going through the menus to update, I don't remember. FW version to update to is 2.0.0. It's still sitting on 34%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back