Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #137 of 494
With aptX adaptive the sound is very good so I wouldn't worry.
My choices are iPhone/AAC or ZX507/aptx.

ZX507 does not have aptx adaptive, and it sounds like the Grell doesn’t support aptx hd.

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #138 of 494
My choices are iPhone/AAC or ZX507/aptx.

ZX507 does not have aptx adaptive, and it sounds like the Grell doesn’t support aptx hd.
Yes it does not support aptX HD.
Between AAC and simple aptX , I don't know which one is better.
I am also going to edit my review to reflect the absence of aptX HD since not all phones support aptX adaptive.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #141 of 494
Yes it does not support aptX HD.
Between AAC and simple aptX , I don't know which one is better.
I am also going to edit my review to reflect the absence of aptX HD since not all phones support aptX adaptive.
Usually depends on implementation. AAC tends to perform better on Apple devices in my experience (home field advantage) while the newer versions of Android (11-12) are more accommodating to LDAC and Qualcomm's codecs (the aptX family).

Provided you can get a reliable 660kbps out of LDAC, that's the theoretical best connection at the moment. Have to imagine Sony's licensing fees made LDAC implementation prohibitively expensive (or it's not available on the BT chipset used).

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #142 of 494
Usually depends on implementation. AAC tends to perform better on Apple devices in my experience (home field advantage) while the newer versions of Android (11-12) are more accommodating to LDAC and Qualcomm's codecs (the aptX family).

Provided you can get a reliable 660kbps out of LDAC, that's the theoretical best connection at the moment. Have to imagine Sony's licensing fees made LDAC implementation prohibitively expensive (or it's not available on the BT chipset used).
Thank you.
I was addressing the question to the OP who has to choose between AAC and aptX.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #143 of 494
Thank you.
I was addressing the question to the OP who has to choose between AAC and aptX.
Figured as such and hoped it would help with some of the understanding as to why certain host devices might support aptX Adaptive, but not aptX HD. Soundguys has some good writeups regarding BT codecs.

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #144 of 494
Figured as such and hoped it would help with some of the understanding as to why certain host devices might support aptX Adaptive, but not aptX HD. Soundguys has some good writeups regarding BT codecs.
Qualcomm says about aptX adaptive
- Backwards compatible with aptX & aptX HD in stereo headsets
- Backwards compatible with aptX in earbuds and stereo headsets

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #145 of 494
Qualcomm says about aptX adaptive
- Backwards compatible with aptX & aptX HD in stereo headsets
- Backwards compatible with aptX in earbuds and stereo headsets
I'm aware that's what the documentation says. I've had more practical experience with the codec, using both a Noble Falcon Pro and Edifier TWS1Pro on OnePlus' adaptive-capable devices. aptX HD is not selectable for me on either device. Just because there is backwards compatibility in some cases does not make it ubiquitous.

In my humble opinion, Adaptive isn't ready as a codec. There's still too many issues with artifacting during high-bandwidth usage that makes it a very un-enjoyable experience for me, to the extent that I usually take a backwards step to aptX altogether. Because I experience it across two different sets of TWS, I'm inclined to blame the codec more than the TWS, but take the information for what it is (anecdotal).

Apple folks should be just fine on AAC due to Apple's fantastic implementation of that codec on their devices. I'm not as impressed with its implementation on Qualcomm silicon.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #146 of 494
Anyone know if and how firmware update will be implemented?

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #148 of 494
Anyone know if and how firmware update will be implemented?
I'm not entirely sure. I do know that SoundID does have the ability to support firmware updates (I think the Drop Panda goes this route after the initial first update). But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back