For studio monitoring, wich headphone should I get?
Sep 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

henrique

New Head-Fier
Welll I need a headphone with a good flat response, cause im starting a new sound engineering course now, so i'll be using it a lot, so it has to be comfortable as well.

I wont be using any kind of amp now, because ill be using all my budget to by the headphones.
I'm between the Shure srh840, ATH-M50, the beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, and the AKG K-271 mk2.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 33
Shure SRH-840, Audio Technica ATM-M40FS

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 33
Sony MDR-V6

KNS-6400 are just clear. V6 are pretty much as neutral as you can find. The KNS sounded unbalanced to me. Shure's are too bright so the low end would be effected. M40's aren't defined enough for some.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 33
So you didnt like the KNS?
is the 6400 actually better the the 8400?

I want to get one maybe not to clinical, so I can enjoy music after class too, and portable for this reason.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 33
I would highly recommend the 8400s.  I found the 6400s to be fatiguing in terms of both sound and comfort.  Something about aggressive highs and mids that didn't sit well with me.  IMHO the 8400s are far better balanced, and they're definitely more enjoyable for straight music listening.  They're a bit warmer than the 6400s, and that extra warmth and punch really goes a long way in making them more enjoyable for straight music listening.  The memory foam cushions make them quite comfortable, as well, in addition to providing excellent isolation.  As of right now, I've been using them for about two and a half hours straight.  The top headband cushions do leave a little bit to be desired in terms of comfort, but I'm willing to let that slide for everything else they do so well.  A steal at $130 (current online prices).

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
I dont know why but the sony V6 looks a bit cheap for me...
Im almost getting the M50, but there is something telling me to get the akg 271

The M50 are more bass oriented, and the 271MKll are better in the upper mids but the bass is a little roll-off, both are not so balanced. The other option on budget will be a used Ultrasone PL/Pro-650.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 33
Sony v6 is bright! it makes most of the music I listen to sound noticeably bright and harsh in the upper mids compared to the k240DF and the hd580....both generally considered 'flat' and neutral. Haven't heard the Shures, but if I needed closed I'd probably go for those....or the GMP's.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Sony v6 is bright! it makes most of the music I listen to sound noticeably bright and harsh in the upper mids compared to the k240DF and the hd580....both generally considered 'flat' and neutral. Haven't heard the Shures, but if I needed closed I'd probably go for those....or the GMP's.

V6 is neutral. Not bright at all like a Shure

Quote:
The V6/7506 is indeed a bit bright in the upped mids. This is good if you're recording voices but for music production, it is an unwanted coloration.

Same as above.

Actually, it's a little dark to me. But that's my slightly dark receiver playing at them.

You guys need to switch off the EQ once and a while. What makes the V6 sound bright is the more forward soundstage over the AKG. The highs are placed forward as the bass is more in the soundstage with the mids working in between. That's why you hear the highs more.

To me, I don't see much of the mids. For some reason my ears have a difficult time picking up them like a balanced can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back