For Gaming: Open or Closed Ear?
Jun 22, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
If you search gaming and Denon D2000, you will find a LOT of rave reviews on the D2000 here. People do use these for gaming and are thrilled.

I am looking at the D2000 myself for a movie/music/gaming all in one wonder. No headamp required, your soundcard should be sweet. DAC would be good for music PC listening though.

Consider these if you may. 

I have the D2000, used them for 7 months of PC gaming and a few weeks of console w/ Astro Mixamp. They were great, but knowing/having what I do now, I would not take them for gaming.

For SP, their soundstage just isn't immersive enough (nor is the D7K's). I remember Crysis never did convince me I was outside with these audio-wise, felt like I was in a cavern with a recording of "outside noise", hence why the Denons are said to have a cavern effect.

For MP, their bloated bass and small soundstage is just not good for soundwhoring. It works, yes, but not nearly as well as others.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #17 of 36

Quote:

Not true. The AD700 has a larger soundstage than the HD598. The AD700/AD900 do have a congested, grainy sound indeed, but for gaming it's fine.

I'm just stating what I've heard. The ADs might be better for competitive games, but good luck getting immersed in a game. It sounds too fake, the 598 sounded really natural and smooth.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
I'm just stating what I've heard. The ADs might be better for competitive games, but good luck getting immersed in a game. It sounds too fake, the 598 sounded really natural and smooth.

I agree, if it's for both SP and MP the HD598 is overall the better option. But then again, there's better all-rounders and SP cans, while the AD700 stays TOTL for MP 'till you hit flagships.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #22 of 36
You could also look at some Ultrasones, I haven't heard any yet, but I've heard the S-Logic is good for gaming, still I wouldn't expect any miracles from it. I can let you know later today, I'm getting to hear a pair of 2900s, unfortunatly I don't have too many good multiplayer games to test the sound with, the best I can do is Mount and Blade and Minecraft :p

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 36
I think S-Logic works pretty well with DH and gaming, at least with my Pro900 (can't speak for the HFI-780). However for MP there is too much bass so I tried the AD700 and HD598.
I prefer the AD700 overall. However, this is in a purely competitive MP capacity (only public servers though, can't be bothered with clans anymore) where I'm not after immersion at all, but the ability to locate enemies as easily as possible.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #26 of 36
I prefer Ultrasone Pro 750's for FPS games by far compared to AD700's. To me the sound stage is just as big as the AD700's... but they provide more detail and better positional accuracy. They are also a lot better for music; they have a very balanced sound (actually PROPERLY balanced, a lot of people call headphones with recessed bass balanced).

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 36
AD700 hands down for gaming, its beautiful to listen to ^^

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #28 of 36
Even the lowly Grado SR80i is great for getting banned for the supposable wallhack. Though ultimate soundwhoring can be done only through 5.1 system. I use both.

P.S. Keep in mind that different games have different accuracy in sound imaging. I've done most MP in COD4 so other games might be different.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
AD700 hands down for gaming, its beautiful to listen to ^^

I was looking for an upgrade for my 555's. Ended up getting the A700's. Sweet soundstage...im liking them. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 36
Stax are the best for gaming overall. Nothing can touch their speed and clarity. The depth of the soundstage on a Lambda series headspeaker is just insane. It is like having a sniper scope for your ears. Seriously. I have won in Cal, Twl, etc. It helps to have these. Might be out of your price range if you need more than just the energizer and cans.

Otherwise, Beyer 880. 600 ohm if you can swing an amp. 250 ohm if not? Dunno about soundcards and the 880. It is the best overall dynamic headphone I have used under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back