For Gaming: Open or Closed Ear?
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MaxxSauce

New Head-Fier
I am looking into a Hi-fi setup for my PC, driven by a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty sound card. I am new to Hi-fi so I'm pretty sure anything will sound amazing to me. I like to get the best possible though.

The main factor that the headphones need to have is excellent positional audio (for games like CS/Cod4 promod). I was looking into the Sennheiser HD600/HD650, but I doubt I will be able to afford an amp that will take advantage of them and stay under my $600 total budget. Also I am not sure which is better for positional audio, the open or closed ear?

Secondly I would like them to excel at music (I listen to many different genres, so I would like dubstep/electronic to sound just as good as songs with heavy vocals or classic rock etc).

Third priority is powerful bass.

My budget is $500-600 for both the headphones and amp.

Suggestions?

I have been recommended the ATH-M50s and am seriously considering them, just not sure on their gaming performance.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 36
Open is superior for immersion in SP and soundwhoring in MP, closed if you want subwoofer bass. Out of everything I've tried, the T1 (with HD800 and D7000 very, very close) is my favorite for gaming overall, though that's out of your budget. Check out Mad Lust Envy's thread on gaming cans, and don't get the HD650 for gaming, it's awful for that, especially in combination with Dolby Headphone. Accurately determining position was impossible with them, their sound was all over the place. The M50 has a miniscule soundstage and is not suited for gaming.

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 36
What do you think of the ATH-AD900s, driven with an adequate amp for gaming and soundwhoring in MP? :)

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 36
The AD700 is world class for soundwhoring, besting almost every can there is (Not the K70x, HD800, T1 and maybe a few others) so the AD900 could only be better. However, I would never use them for SP as they have no bass. Bass neutral is perfectly fine, but they are bass anemic. Also, the AD700/900 benefit little from amping, they are extremely easy to drive.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 36
Ok, so I have basically narrowed it down to two options:

First Choice:

ATH-AD900

- Supposedly have a balanced bass in comparison to the "anemic" bass of the AD700s
 - No need for an external amp

My only question for these is are they as accurate online as the AD700s are?

Second Choice:

AKG K702

- Again, have more bass than the AD700s

As for these, I do plan to use ventrilo at the same time as gaming, so would an external amp be needed?

I am thinking that since the AD900s can be driven without an amp, I get those first, see how I like them, and then return them if the bass is lower than acceptable (which I highly doubt it will be). Then IF that happens I can deal with getting the K702s with an amp. What do you think?

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 36
No idea about the K702's with vent and a soundcard. I do know for mixing in voice chat with the mixamp an external amp is required. The K702's are not a can I would take for SP at all, though they are of course superb for soundwhoring.

AD900 is not bass neutral. It has a little more bass than the AD700, but that's still nothing. They should be as good or better than the AD700 online, it would make no sense if they weren't. Though it is quite peculiar I've never heard anyone use these for gaming.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 36
How noisy is your computer. Do you have use for isolation from excessive fan noise?

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 36
My computer is not at all noisy, I have it water cooled with 6 fans on the 360 radiator in push pull. Although my fans are high rpm, I have a controller in the front and I run them on low unless I am stressing the CPU heavily (torture testing/folding etc).

For games though the CPU stays cold with the fans quiet.

I think I have decided on the ATH-AD1000. Thoughts?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
My computer is not at all noisy, I have it water cooled with 6 fans on the 360 radiator in push pull. Although my fans are high rpm, I have a controller in the front and I run them on low unless I am stressing the CPU heavily (torture testing/folding etc).

For games though the CPU stays cold with the fans quiet.

I think I have decided on the ATH-AD1000. Thoughts?

Nothing in my rig makes noise and heat like the goddamn GTX480s. Same with the 280s I used to have.

I don't know about the ATH-AD1000, haven't heard anything about it at all.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 36
I recall listening to the HD555 years ago when it was the buzz for gaming. People then realized that the AD700 offered a much better soundstage, and moved onto that.

I haven't heard anything about the AD900, 1000, or 2000 for that matter. It's likely because people aren't willing to spend that much on headphones purely for gaming.

My personal advice is that you buy an Asus Xonar Essence STX and an AD900. It's said that the soundstage is increased (meaning you have a better idea of where you stand in the map, esp important in maps like de.dust and Shipment), and with the little bass added in, an idea of how far the grenade explosion was, is useful.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. :p You shouldn't need an amp, although it would help (not sure how much). Buy a Zalman clip-on mic for your Vent chat. Everything should work fine.

EDIT: Might want to consider the Sennheiser HD558. Not sure how it fairs with the AD900.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
I recall listening to the HD555 years ago when it was the buzz for gaming. People then realized that the AD700 offered a much better soundstage, and moved onto that.

I haven't heard anything about the AD900, 1000, or 2000 for that matter. It's likely because people aren't willing to spend that much on headphones purely for gaming.

My personal advice is that you buy an Asus Xonar Essence STX and an AD900. It's said that the soundstage is increased (meaning you have a better idea of where you stand in the map, esp important in maps like de.dust and Shipment), and with the little bass added in, an idea of how far the grenade explosion was, is useful.

Sorry for the run-on sentence. :p You shouldn't need an amp, although it would help (not sure how much). Buy a Zalman clip-on mic for your Vent chat. Everything should work fine.

EDIT: Might want to consider the Sennheiser HD558. Not sure how it fairs with the AD900.

I distinctly remember reading one guy that found the AD900 was not any better than the AD700 for gaming, which would explain why nobody uses it. The AD900 has more bass, but again it's still very little, not bass neutral.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote: Originally Posted by Greenwith I recall listening to the HD555 years ago when it was the buzz for gaming. People then realized that the AD700 offered a much better soundstage, and moved onto that. I haven't heard anything about the AD900, 1000, or 2000 for that matter. It's likely because people aren't willing to spend that much on headphones purely for gaming. My personal advice is that you buy an Asus Xonar Essence STX and an AD900. It's said that the soundstage is increased (meaning you have a better idea of where you stand in the map, esp important in maps like de.dust and Shipment), and with the little bass added in, an idea of how far the grenade explosion was, is useful. Sorry for the run-on sentence. :p You shouldn't need an amp, although it would help (not sure how much). Buy a Zalman clip-on mic for your Vent chat. Everything should work fine. EDIT: Might want to consider the Sennheiser HD558. Not sure how it fairs with the AD900. I distinctly remember reading one guy that found the AD900 was not any better than the AD700 for gaming, which would explain why nobody uses it. The AD900 has more bass, but again it's still very little, not bass neutral.

I see... Would you happen to have a link? I'm in the market looking for the exact same criteria.

The thing is, the AD900s look better IMO, and the tad bit of added bass will sound better than the AD700 for trance (ASOT 4! :)), house, electronic, etc.

EDIT: I wouldn't get AKGs for two reasons:

1. Difficult and expensive to drive.

2. Lumps on headband are to cause discomfort over an hour or less. No one likes it when you're playing CS1.6 all night and you have to take off your headphones every few games...

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 36
The Senn 5x8s have a much better soundstage than the AD series. The AD900s have a hollow, congested sound. You will be wishing for more bass for trance, they have almost none.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 36
If you search gaming and Denon D2000, you will find a LOT of rave reviews on the D2000 here. People do use these for gaming and are thrilled.

I am looking at the D2000 myself for a movie/music/gaming all in one wonder. No headamp required, your soundcard should be sweet. DAC would be good for music PC listening though.

Consider these if you may. 

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
The Senn 5x8s have a much better soundstage than the AD series. The AD900s have a hollow, congested sound. You will be wishing for more bass for trance, they have almost none.

Not true. The AD700 has a larger soundstage than the HD598. The AD700/AD900 do have a congested, grainy sound indeed, but for gaming it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back