Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 11, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #20,491 of 20,602
it seems susvara is a popular option but I really don't like the brand and it seems susvara is too neutral? Maybe zmf caldera is a better choice to me and I will also consider the elite.
So my two are Susvara and Utopia 2022. Overall I prefer the Susvara, but I wish I could combine the two and bring in elements of Utopia. Mainly a bit more midrange empahsis and a little more energy. My curiosity list includes the 1266 and Caldera. From the way people describe it maybe Caldera is in between the two.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #20,492 of 20,602
Fine, let me change it to Winger and Mr. Big 😆
Unrelated to the Utopia, however relevant to the above mentioned bands this documentary is a time capsule for those of us who grew up in the 80’s as a teenager: The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years

I'll have to watch. Seeing this brought Spinal Tap to mind (turning my volumne knob to 11 as I type this....)

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #20,494 of 20,602
So my two are Susvara and Utopia 2022. Overall I prefer the Susvara, but I wish I could combine the two and bring in elements of Utopia. Mainly a bit more midrange empahsis and a little more energy. My curiosity list includes the 1266 and Caldera. From the way people describe it maybe Caldera is in between the two.
Hmm, that's an interesting take. Maybe. The thing about Caldera (or any ZMF, really) is you can adjust the sound considerably by swapping pads, and there are 5 options specifically for Caldera, not to mention a dozen or more other options not meant for Caldera that you could also try if you chose to. Caldera is bassier than Utopia, but lacks the midrange clarity & focus. On a good solid state amp, it gives Utopia a run for its money in dynamics, but it doesn't really approach the finesse and resolution of Susvara.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #20,495 of 20,602
Hmm, that's an interesting take. Maybe. The thing about Caldera (or any ZMF, really) is you can adjust the sound considerably by swapping pads, and there are 5 options specifically for Caldera, not to mention a dozen or more other options not meant for Caldera that you could also try if you chose to. Caldera is bassier than Utopia, but lacks the midrange clarity & focus. On a good solid state amp, it gives Utopia a run for its money in dynamics, but it doesn't really approach the finesse and resolution of Susvara.
Good input. You've got the experience with it all so I'm sure your take is better! I should try EQing the Susvara and see what it does for me.

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #20,496 of 20,602
Good input. You've got the experience with it all so I'm sure your take is better! I should try EQing the Susvara and see what it does for me.
Don't let me put you off Caldera - it's an amazing headphone. But I find it is a very different creature than either Utopia or Susvara. It has what I contend is THE best bass of ANY headphone and dynamic "slam" that gives Focal a run for its money. But it is in a whole different lane than Susvara - neither better nor worse, just doing a different thing altogether.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #20,498 of 20,602
Hey, my setup is currently: Holo Red --> Toslink --> Chord Hugo TT2 --> Focal Utopia 22. Now I would like to order Danacables Reference Plus for my Utopia as I heard they are next level for the Utopia. What plug would work best? I am thinking about the 1/4'' or the 3-pin XLR plug. Which one would you recommend?

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #20,499 of 20,602
Hey, my setup is currently: Holo Red --> Toslink --> Chord Hugo TT2 --> Focal Utopia 22. Now I would like to order Danacables Reference Plus for my Utopia as I heard they are next level for the Utopia. What plug would work best? I am thinking about the 1/4'' or the 3-pin XLR plug. Which one would you recommend?
Well the TT2 only has 3.5mm and 1/4" on the front (HP) outputs, so I'd go with the 1/4".
I wouldn't recommend driving the Utopia from the back of the TT2 (using XLR), as it's a relatively sensitive headphone and the back of the TT2 gives a ton of power and could hurt your Utopia and/or the TT2.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #20,500 of 20,602
Well the TT2 only has 3.5mm and 1/4" on the front (HP) outputs, so I'd go with the 1/4".
I wouldn't recommend driving the Utopia from the back of the TT2 (using XLR), as it's a relatively sensitive headphone and the back of the TT2 gives a ton of power and could hurt your Utopia and/or the TT2.
you are absolutely right, thanks! do you have any experience with danacables or other cables for the Utopia?

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #20,501 of 20,602
Get it terminated in XLR, add the adapter cable. That way you have flexibility if you have other amps with a 4 pin-XLR output.
IMG_0785.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #20,503 of 20,602
you are absolutely right, thanks! do you have any experience with danacables or other cables for the Utopia?
Me personally: I've heard good things about Danacables but I think they are absurdly priced. They cost as much as a high-end audiophile headphone just for the cable. That being said, I'm also not in the camp of "all cables sound the same" and "coat hanger wire sounds the same."

I've had a great experience with Lavricables, which are a good value and top-tier performance.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #20,505 of 20,602
Me personally: I've heard good things about Danacables but I think they are absurdly priced. They cost as much as a high-end audiophile headphone just for the cable. That being said, I'm also not in the camp of "all cables sound the same" and "coat hanger wire sounds the same."

I've had a great experience with Lavricables, which are a good value and top-tier performance.
will have a look thank you, and yes its overpriced haha but for now idk how they sound, maybe would a M-Scaler be a better upgrade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back