Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #20,476 of 20,570
I demo utopia 2022 with classical music and I didn't quite like it but now that I own the utopia 2020 I like it very much what it is with classical music is very detail also presents but not overdone. Also on the looks, I prefer the 2020 utopia, the 2022 feels like dark Gothic style so.

If my utopia pair with Lavricables Grand

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #20,477 of 20,570
My impressions: Susvara is a pure racing car while the Utopia is a daily-drivable supercar. The Susvara is definitely faster and more fun — but you get to drive the Utopia home.
Hum. I'm the opposite. Susvara is more a mellow daily driver and Utopia has more midrange spice/energy.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #20,478 of 20,570
Hum. I'm the opposite. Susvara is more a mellow daily driver and Utopia has more midrange spice/energy.
I sort of agree. Susvara is extremely neutral, which is part of its magic. Utopia is very mid-forward, giving the illusion of the music being even closer, right up in your face. Both are just different flavors of Excellence.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #20,479 of 20,570
I sort of agree. Susvara is extremely neutral, which is part of its magic. Utopia is very mid-forward, giving the illusion of the music being even closer, right up in your face. Both are just different flavors of Excellence.
It's a Chris thing :). I'm enjoying Utopia with 80s - maybe sub-optimally - recorded music, where maybe a bit of non-neutral coloration helps the fun.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #20,480 of 20,570
It's a Chris thing :). I'm enjoying Utopia with 80s - maybe sub-optimally - recorded music, where maybe a bit of non-neutral coloration helps the fun.
Ooh, see, that's where we diverge - I actually find Susvara to play [slightly] better with not-so-well-recorded music than Utopia. I know this is a *HOT TAKE*, but I find Utopia's tonality so revealing that it is ruthless if you feed it anything less than the best media. Susvara is, to my ears, a little more polite. Sus will politely tell you your music isn't "audiophile", but it won't actually punish you for playing it like Utopia will. :wink: lol

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #20,481 of 20,570
I owned the OG utopia for a time...I spent some time with the 22 version at canjam and was underwhelmed

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #20,482 of 20,570
Ooh, see, that's where we diverge - I actually find Susvara to play [slightly] better with not-so-well-recorded music than Utopia. I know this is a *HOT TAKE*, but I find Utopia's tonality so revealing that it is ruthless if you feed it anything less than the best media. Susvara is, to my ears, a little more polite. Sus will politely tell you your music isn't "audiophile", but it won't actually punish you for playing it like Utopia will. :wink: lol
Maybe it's the music I am playing on it. I grew up in the 80s, and the Utopia plays the music more like I heard it for years, while the Susvara make its sound more laid back, which is not how I remember it sounding. Glam metal was not polite!

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #20,483 of 20,570
Maybe it's the music I am playing on it. I grew up in the 80s, and the Utopia plays the music more like I heard it for years, while the Susvara make its sound more laid back, which is not how I remember it sounding. Glam metal was not polite!
Ah, see - now we're back on the same page 100%. :D

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #20,484 of 20,570
80’s recordings tend to be a bit better than we give them credit for if we use digital sources such as CD or a non-re-mastered streaming option. Pre-loudness wars and the mixing came off analog reels, unless we’re talking about quality of bands like say Poison vs Guns N’ Roses 🤣

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #20,485 of 20,570
80’s recordings tend to be a bit better than we give them credit for if we use digital sources such as CD or a non-re-mastered streaming option. Pre-loudness wars and the mixing came off analog reels, unless we’re talking about quality of bands like say Poison vs Guns N’ Roses 🤣
Whoa - whoa - WHOA. Poison AND Guns & Roses are beyond reproach. Pour some sugar on your November Rain and try again. 😉

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #20,488 of 20,570
Whoa - whoa - WHOA. Poison AND Guns & Roses are beyond reproach. Pour some sugar on your November Rain and try again. 😉
Fine, let me change it to Winger and Mr. Big 😆
Unrelated to the Utopia, however relevant to the above mentioned bands this documentary is a time capsule for those of us who grew up in the 80’s as a teenager: The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #20,489 of 20,570
I think the question is if it’s worth purchasing the 2022 version at all. Reliability concerns aside, I feel the original tuning and design is far superior. I presently own the 2022 and regret selling the 2016-2021 Utopia.
I don't know if Utopia changed sound profile but I feel like my NOS 2021 (2023) Utopia sounded warmer and fuller than what I remembered from prior Canjam and dealer experiences. I would probably regret selling either OG or 2022.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #20,490 of 20,570
well, I think that in all decades, they are good and bad recordings. It depends on the recording label to how it was made for example, most of the Phillips. and deutscher Grammophon and some sony classical are pretty over rush in San quality so. In the years I have gotten some of their remasters. In SHM-SACD and some recordings have a very positive. Change of the remastered are taken from the original master tapes, which are clean and processed in Japan directly to the extreme digital. (DSD) widow any further processing their sound a little bit better than their CD releases during the 80s and night and 90s..

I consider Mitsuko ulchida recordings of Mozart, piano sonatas during the 80s for Philips classics to be one of the best digital recordings. Recently I got on period. Instrument on Mozart's own fortepiano with robert levin this wonderful high resolution audio recording

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back