Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #19,576 of 20,796
Hey guys, looking for a few suggestions. So I have had the OG Utopia for a few years and loved every minute with them. Now I'm thinking of trying something different, so out of Hifiman HE family ( v2, SE, Stealth) or ZMF family (Verite, Atrium) which do you think would best compliment the Utopias? I welcome other suggestions as well.
(P.S I don't use tube amps)

Opt to planar definitely will bring something different. If you want to retain the sparkle bright treble of Utopia, Hifiman is a great choice (while being different in other things).

ZMF Verite, a headphone that I truly like, but being dynamic driver, with beryllium composite, may a bit "too close" to utopia, even though both headphone tuned differently. From ZMF I suggest Atrium more: Longer decay, darker treble, with much wider soundstage, and bigger bass than Utopia OG.

Want Planar, but also deliver bite/punch like Utopia, with a little better detail, speed, and imaging accuracy, Abyss Diana TC may become a good choice too. If i remember correctly, there are three of my friends (Utopia user), who like Diana TC too. Two of them own ZMF Verite as well.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #19,577 of 20,796
adding very good headphones that present differently for the sake of variety. Possibly a bit more of a relaxed sound profile that could work with less than perfect record productions.
This sounds exactly like the Elite to me, though personally I would prefer Caldera over Elite every day of the week.

Several people here have mentioned Verite Open, and while I love (and own) VO, I would not call it "more of a relaxed sound" than Utopia. VO is warmer than Utopia, but it is not what I would call "more relaxed". It is very nearly as dynamic and punchy as Utopia, and MORE SO with music that tokens mid-bass specifically.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #19,578 of 20,796
The VO is relaxed in the midrange. Voices are pulled back. The treble is still on the same energy level as the Utopia, so if you want a completely laid-back tuned headphone (that is recessed both in the treble and the mids) you probably need to get the Audeze LCD-2f or Meze Empy / Elite.
Dynamic and punchy are good traits everytime (both in energetic or relaxed), if you want a dead sounding headphone get Dan Clark Audio gear, but good dynamics are not something that i would want to miss in even a relaxed tuned headphone.

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #19,579 of 20,796
In the room, yes, but it's a small room (with a bigger depth). The VC has also very upfront vocals, yes. I found it shouty from time to time, i wasn't a fan, and it brings a bit of warmth into them, which the Utopia does not, it is very neutral. I am sensitive in that 2-3k region, so Harman neutral for me is often borderline shouty and brings the vocals very close to the face, that's just how it is, being intended or not, the Utopia does that (along with many other cans). Of course there are exceptions, but the Utopia is in no way a laid-back headphone.

Oh, and i'm talking OG Utopia only btw, the newer version seems to be a bit less aggressive, but i've not A/B'ed it in my own environment.
It's why I got rid of my VC's, Clear MG, and Stellia. I keep going back to the OG Utopia's. I agree that vocals are emphasized, but in the best way for me. I have a pair of omega cam monitors, it does some things well, but it doesn't have the vocal density of the OG Utopia's that draws you into the music. I find it strange that I prefer the sound of the Utopia's over speakers, but just shows how proficient the headphones are. I agree with mainguy's description, it is "spellbinding".

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #19,580 of 20,796
Hey guys, looking for a few suggestions. So I have had the OG Utopia for a few years and loved every minute with them. Now I'm thinking of trying something different, so out of Hifiman HE family ( v2, SE, Stealth) or ZMF family (Verite, Atrium) which do you think would best compliment the Utopias? I welcome other suggestions as well.
(P.S I don't use tube amps)
I ended up with the Sennheiser HD 600 as a compliment to my Utopia OG. To me it’s competitive with the other headphones you mention, but it depends on what you’re looking for.

My other suggestion would be the Hifiman Susvara 😃

PS. Fyi, I’ve owned the ZMF Verite and auditioned the Hifimans except the Stealth.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #19,582 of 20,796
Jul 20, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #19,583 of 20,796
I ended up with the Sennheiser HD 600 as a compliment to my Utopia OG.
I find the Sennheiser HD 650 are HD 600 are a good compliment to the Focal Utopia as inexpensive reference point/baseline. The HD 600 and HD 650 have been used by classical music sound engineers like Stephan Flock since 1997 and they largely created the category of high end headphones— their status in the industry is nothing short of legendary. Are they in the same league as the Utopia? No, they’re separated by over 20 years of development and the Utopia isn’t technically perfect either.

And I can appreciate the hobbyist appeal of the HD 600 and HD 650 among owners with explosive tube amplifiers like the Eddie Current Balancing Act or DNA Stellaris.

11434444.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #19,584 of 20,796
I find the Sennheiser HD 650 are HD 600 are a good compliment to the Focal Utopia as inexpensive reference point/baseline. The HD 600 and HD 650 have been used by classical music sound engineers like Stephan Flock since 1997 and they largely created the category of high end headphones— their stats in the industry is nothing short of legendary. Are they in the same league as the Utopia? No, they’re separated by over 20 years of development and the Utopia isn’t technically perfect either.

And I can appreciate the hobbyist appeal of the HD 600 and HD 650 among owners with explosive tube amplifiers like the Eddie Current Balancing Act or DNA Stellaris.

11434444.jpeg
DGG?
At many of the recording sessions I have been at with labels like BIS and 2L there has always been a selection of Sennheisers at hand and especially HD 600. But also HD800 which I still use myself with some recordings.
This shot is it from a while ago?
Yannick Nezet Seguin looks about as young as when I photographed him at some Concerts in Stockholm maybe 15 years ago.
Cheers CC

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #19,585 of 20,796
DGG?
At many of the recording sessions I have been at with labels like BIS and 2L there has always been a selection of Sennheisers at hand and especially HD 600. But also HD800 which I still use myself with some recordings.
This shot is it from a while ago?
Yannick Nezet Seguin looks about as young as when I photographed him at some Concerts in Stockholm maybe 15 years ago.
Cheers CC
Stephan Fock still uses the Sennheiser HD 600 and they’re as familiar as the B&W 803 in studios. I used this photo as an example because it’s shows both the HD 600 and HD 650. And the Sennheiser diehards will note they are later silver screen versions.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #19,587 of 20,796
I have a a Norne Vykari ordered for mine. It has not arrived yet but my prior experience with Norne Audio (multiple cables) has been uniformly excellent.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #19,590 of 20,796
IMHO, the HD600 is no where in the same league as the headphones he mentioned.

You'd be quite surprised how many super expensive headphones fail next to a HD 600 and HD 650. Makes you wonder why they cost so much with these types of engineering flaws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back