Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 22, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #19,591 of 20,796
https://slickdeals.net/f/16811696-f...ones-2022-2699-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Posted this in the 2022 thread, but the Nutopias are already on sale for almost 50% off at adorama. I wonder if used prices will get closer to OG Utopia prices.
Thats pretty crazy drop for a TOTL headphone that haven't even been out for a year yet. My guess is that they haven't been selling too well, considering the headfi thread for them only has like 68 pages. I personally tried them next to my OG utopia's and didn't feel like they were anything special, at most a side grade for me, certainly not worth the 5k they were asking.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #19,592 of 20,796
Jul 22, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #19,593 of 20,796
Are these B stock or what? This is a crazy price. Ouch for resale values! I guess I won't be selling mine anytime soon.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #19,594 of 20,796
There is nothing crazy about these prices. I won't go into the specifics for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #19,595 of 20,796
There is nothing crazy about these prices. I won't go into the specifics for obvious reasons.
lol ok. That makes sense. :wink:

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #19,596 of 20,796
Super longshot, but wondering if anybody has compared (or heard both) the Holo Bliss vs DSHA-3F (or even demoed the upcoming DSHA-3FN) on the Utopia. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #19,597 of 20,796
Super longshot, but wondering if anybody has compared (or heard both) the Holo Bliss vs DSHA-3F (or even demoed the upcoming DSHA-3FN) on the Utopia. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I have DSHA3F as my main amp and it is tailor made for Focal but works well with ZMF and Sennheiser as well however it was designed specifically for Focal.

Mine is with Nickel transformer to pair well with Utopia OG however Newer one might work well with Amorphous transformer

Bliss is powerful enough to work with Planar as well whereas DSHA is more for dynamic only

The soundstage- height, width and depth in headphone I get out of DSHA3F can’t be matched even with my tube amp

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #19,598 of 20,796
I hope the magic of original DSHA3F is maintained in the “N” revision so that more can experience the same. The initial run was limited and was not made in bulk.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #19,599 of 20,796
Hey guys, looking for a few suggestions. So I have had the OG Utopia for a few years and loved every minute with them. Now I'm thinking of trying something different, so out of Hifiman HE family ( v2, SE, Stealth) or ZMF family (Verite, Atrium) which do you think would best compliment the Utopias? I welcome other suggestions as well.
(P.S I don't use tube amps)
Going to be honest with you, I just bought a brand new version of the Susvara's 3.5mm with the black sheathe cables instead of the medical plastic, and feel very underwhelmed with its musical performance. The OG Utopia's have a special character to their sound, while I feel the Susvaras do not. Maybe it's because the Utopia's are paired with palladium arctic cables and the Susvara is using stock cables, I don't know, but I'm not getting any of that magic out of the Susvara right now. I would stick with the Utopia's to be honest. If I knew this is how I would react to the Susvara's I would have used the money for another power conditioner and better cabling for my Utopia. But we'll see once I get better headphone cables for the Susvara.

Chain is Enleum 23R -> neotech sahara interconnects-> holo may kte ->audioquest diamond usb -> jcat xe usb card -> jcat xe ethernet card.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #19,600 of 20,796
Going to be honest with you, I just bought a brand new version of the Susvara's 3.5mm with the black sheathe cables instead of the medical plastic, and feel very underwhelmed with its musical performance. The OG Utopia's have a special character to their sound, while I feel the Susvaras do not. Maybe it's because the Utopia's are paired with palladium arctic cables and the Susvara is using stock cables, I don't know, but I'm not getting any of that magic out of the Susvara right now. I would stick with the Utopia's to be honest. If I knew this is how I would react to the Susvara's I would have used the money for another power conditioner and better cabling for my Utopia. But we'll see once I get better headphone cables for the Susvara.

Chain is Enleum 23R -> neotech sahara interconnects-> holo may kte ->audioquest diamond usb -> jcat xe usb card -> jcat xe ethernet card.
Fwiw: i have the holo may kte with my niimbus us 4 (with susvara) and have found since switching from a slightly warmer dac (metrum hex) that the AQ diamond usb has been a tad too bright/lively in my set up.

Having said that I have not given up (and sold it) yet as have just put it back in to revisit it after buying new xlr interconnects (Audience Studio One to “match” my Audience Usb cable).

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #19,601 of 20,796
Fwiw: i have the holo may kte with my niimbus us 4 (with susvara) and have found since switching from a slightly warmer dac (metrum hex) that the AQ diamond usb has been a tad too bright/lively in my set up.

Having said that I have not given up (and sold it) yet as have just put it back in to revisit it after buying new xlr interconnects (Audience Studio One to “match” my Audience Usb cable).
I absolutely love my aq diamond usb. Everything has changed in my system except that cable. I've tried neotech's line of usb, aq's other offerings, but I always go back to the diamond. I definitely can see it being bright in certain chains. But the detail it extracts and the air it adds... Not sure If I want to spend Shunyata sigma usb money on a usb yet. I'd rather spend that on another power conditioner.

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #19,602 of 20,796
if anyone is looking to buy a 6 month old Naim Uniti Atom HE pm me, thinking about upgrading my amp/dac and no longer looking for an AIO solution

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #19,603 of 20,796
Finally replaced the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated pads back to Original Utopias....well I guess thats why people pay for them :slight_smile:

I legitimately forgotten how much better the Utopias were supposed to be, and now I would definitely never recommend the Dekoni stuff...I have regained alot of dynamics and details

Jul 29, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #19,604 of 20,796
Finally replaced the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated pads back to Original Utopias....well I guess thats why people pay for them :slight_smile:

I legitimately forgotten how much better the Utopias were supposed to be, and now I would definitely never recommend the Dekoni stuff...I have regained alot of dynamics and details
I had the same bad auditory experience with the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated and returned them. While I did not like to pay $250 for replacement Utopia pads, it was worth it.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #19,605 of 20,796
I had the same bad auditory experience with the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated and returned them. While I did not like to pay $250 for replacement Utopia pads, it was worth it.
I saw recently that ZMF made some Focal pads, curious if as anyone has tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back