Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #19,291 of 20,634
Yes, old Utopia sound is more "fresh", new one sound slightly muffed.
It’s funny you say that. I had the exact same feeling listening to the Nutopia’s for the past two weeks. It wasn’t until last night, playing around with different setups listening to my Susvara and decided to try the Nutopia’s, and that slight muffle in the mid range was gone. It no longer sounded like I was listening to a pair of headphones, they just disappeared and all I was hearing was the music the way it was meant to be. It sounded very neutral and natural.

Not sure if it was the chain (I’ll try other setups) or whether they finally had enough burn-in, but I’m very happy with them now.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #19,292 of 20,634
As a longtime fan and owner of the Utopia OG I want to share some of the things I’ve learned along the way and give some recommendations. The OG and Nutopia are both exceptional TOTL headphones but with some differences between them.

Apart from outstanding technical abilities of the Utopias they are also very easy to drive. They also have an exceptional tuning out of the box and when you combine all ot these things you basically have a TOTL headphone that you can plug into anything! The only other headphone I’ve heard that is on the same technical level is the Audeze LCD-5 (haven’t heard the Abyss 1266 or DCA Stealth) and it’s also easy to drive but it needs eq to be anywhere near the quality of the Utopias.

Anyway the combination of outstanding technical chops, tuning and being easy to drive make the Utopias perfect for use with all-in-ones (AIO). I’d think REALLY long and hard before deciding against buying an AIO and instead choosing to go with separate amps and DAC’s. Actually the only scenario were expensive separates makes sense is if you want to use the Utopias with tubes (sounds great!), otherwise stay away :Sonnenbrille:

Don’t get tricked into believing that the only way to get the best out of the Utopias is going with (expensive) separates. That’s most certainly not the case and probably the opposite is closer to the truth, ie going with separates would increase the likelihood of you not getting the best out of the Utopias.
If you're an audiophile nutcase ;-(like me:) listen to your SACDs via the OG-Utopia connected to a Lotoo LPGTti with Ultima-Furutech-3.5mm-Cables - there isn't a more neutral system currently.

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #19,293 of 20,634
If you're an audiophile nutcase ;-(like me:) listen to your SACDs via the OG-Utopia connected to a Lotoo LPGTti with Ultima-Furutech-3.5mm-Cables - there isn't a more neutral system currently.
Now that’s what I’m talking about, must be amazing 🤩

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #19,294 of 20,634
It’s funny you say that. I had the exact same feeling listening to the Nutopia’s for the past two weeks. It wasn’t until last night, playing around with different setups listening to my Susvara and decided to try the Nutopia’s, and that slight muffle in the mid range was gone. It no longer sounded like I was listening to a pair of headphones, they just disappeared and all I was hearing was the music the way it was meant to be. It sounded very neutral and natural.

Not sure if it was the chain (I’ll try other setups) or whether they finally had enough burn-in, but I’m very happy with them now.

same. when I first got it, felt the Utopia 22 was missing the OG "sparkle". I assumed it was a tuning choice, but after a while of use, it seemed like that sparkle appeared and all was right in the world again. perhaps my ears got used to the sound. but as u say, listening with the Utopia 22, these headphones have an uncanny ability to just disappear and all you're left with is the music. simply sublime!

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #19,295 of 20,634
same. when I first got it, felt the Utopia 22 was missing the OG "sparkle". I assumed it was a tuning choice, but after a while of use, it seemed like that sparkle appeared and all was right in the world again. perhaps my ears got used to the sound. but as u say, listening with the Utopia 22, these headphones have an uncanny ability to just disappear and all you're left with is the music. simply sublime!
That OG sparkle was unnatural and became irritating after too long. The '22s are very natural sounding, and as you mention, have this ability to disappear leaving only the music.

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #19,297 of 20,634

Very nice and quick (and good sounding) comparison demo that i found on youtube, in my opinion the old one is more sparkly, a tick more aggressive, with a more holographic soundstage. The sounds are more exactly pinpoint on the old one. The whole seperation is better, or am i wrong? I own the OG and like it, but i haven't heard the 2022 in person, i will at Highend Munich, but without a direct comparison it will be very difficult to tell. What do guys you think about this demo?
And to all the people that wrote that the bass / punch increased among other various things: Na, it didn't. Please don't hype stuff up that is not there.
The channel also has a very nice comparison Sundara vs Sundara closed, that's some embarassing stuff right there...

the og utopia reproduces both iterations convincingly

May 10, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #19,298 of 20,634
Hello everyone, I'm interested in purchasing the OG Utopia used. However, after further search I found out there's 2020 version of the Utopia and the Version before that? Is there anything tuning or difference in technicalities? I can't find any info other than the Utopia after 2020 comes with a carrying case.

May 10, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #19,299 of 20,634
Hello everyone, I'm interested in purchasing the OG Utopia used. However, after further search I found out there's 2020 version of the Utopia and the Version before that? Is there anything tuning or difference in technicalities? I can't find any info other than the Utopia after 2020 comes with a carrying case.
Had 4 different OG and the newest(bought earlier this year) sounds best to my ears. But maybe I am delusional, who knows.

May 10, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #19,301 of 20,634
My confidence level is not very high but I believe the 2020 and prior version were the same in tuning. It was the packaging and cables that were different.

May 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #19,303 of 20,634
My confidence level is not very high but I believe the 2020 and prior version were the same in tuning. It was the packaging and cables that were different.
the 2020 update was to the packaging and accessories. the headphone itself was unchanged afaik.
Thanks for the reply, thats what I'm under the impression too. I'm just confirming because I think some people called it a different 2020 drivers.

May 10, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #19,304 of 20,634
Correct. the 2020 refresh was basically marketing and packaging hype. No tuning changes.

May 10, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #19,305 of 20,634
One could argue that the 2022 version is also 80% marketing (with price increase) and 20% different tuning...
Yes, there is a difference, but it's not mind blowing.
By the way, i'm selling mine, i tend to not reach enough for it considering its value, for anyone who is looking to get the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back