Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 16, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #19,321 of 20,736
... wanted to know if i need to get external amp to drive utopia..
You know the Utopia's impedance is only 80 ohms? Practically anything can drive it, there's no "need" for a more powerful amp.

May 16, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #19,322 of 20,736
No they clip on the same song with my A&K Kaan Max as well on high gain at about volume 113 / 150

I think now to make sure it will be nice if you can get a dB meter or use a similar app from your phone (less accurate result though) and try to measure the sound pressure level from your Utopia at the point where you find it clips. Try to position the dB meter or your phone's mic at the inner cavity of the earpad.

May 16, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #19,323 of 20,736
I think now to make sure it will be nice if you can get a dB meter or use a similar app from your phone (less accurate result though) and try to measure the sound pressure level from your Utopia at the point where you find it clips. Try to position the dB meter or your phone's mic at the inner cavity of the earpad.

Attachments

• IMG_2180.png
    IMG_2180.png
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #19,325 of 20,736
With over 100 db❗🙈

NOMAX

Ps.strange...because i can do the same video with my old Utopia...without clipping 😉👍

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #19,326 of 20,736
I can tell you that the euforia evo sounds 100x better than the utopias out of my a&k… not even comparable…
....and again this has nothing to do with the power, your A&K is more powerful than the Euforia. And the Utopias are not easy to drive because of the 80 Ohms, but because its high sensitivity at 104dB SPL/1mW. The Utopias and in general dynamic driver headphones seems to be preferred on tubes and the Euforia is one of the top options out there.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #19,327 of 20,736
That's why my Utopia/Nutopia distorts for example on Gladys Knight's License to kill in the low end or on many other tracks if i drive it with a tube amp😂
But that's just my humble opinion about the French with an Tube Amp 😎

NOMAX

PS.However, not at the solid state amps and at the Players that i have
Strange, isn't it?😉

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #19,328 of 20,736
@ericsdsu1987 I tested the song you posted on Tidal at your listening level (much louder than what I’m normally used to for sure, I average at around 70dB 😅) and the bass didn’t clip. My Utopia is the OG version.

Hmm… I’m thinking maybe it’s not clipping. The Utopia excels at many things but their sub bass rolled off pretty early. If you’re a sucker for sub bass then I would honestly look elsewhere lol, probably a planar magnetic. Utopia out of a good tube amp is a pretty magical experience though that planars may not be able to replicate.

May 16, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #19,330 of 20,736
That's why my Utopia/Nutopia distorts for example on Gladys Knight's License to kill in the low end or on many other tracks if i drive it with a tube amp😂
But that's just my humble opinion about the French with an Tube Amp 😎
Sorry. I didn't get it... why the Utopias are supposed to distort on tube amps? In which tube amp did you notice it?.
At least on my Euforia I have never noticed any distortions (At least of course you don't wait the ~15min to let the amp to warm up and reach a homogenous temperature).

Out of curiosity I tried your example track (https://tidal.com/browse/track/577879) on both, the Bliss and the Euforia and too me it sounds equality distorted :sweat_smile: (Same thing with my VCs) . The track is just too harsh!. Do you have other more obvious example?.

To me the main difference on the Utopias when driven with Bliss vs Euforia are the transients. On the Bliss the bass became more tight/punchy and the whole presentation more analytical, without being fatiguing, you just pay a bit more attention to details. On the Euforia everything is softened, making the listening sessions more relaxed. I like both, depending on the content.

May 16, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #19,331 of 20,736
@BrainSalat
I'd rather spare us that😉...but I can show you and let you listen to it when you're at the High End in Munich 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

May 16, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #19,332 of 20,736
I'd rather spare us that😉...but I can show you and let you listen to it when you're at the High End in Munich 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
deal! :thumbsup:

PS: ROFL

May 17, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #19,333 of 20,736
Can confirm my Utopia's have always mildly audibly clipped before getting "really loud" on my EC ZD. It doesn't happen on my GSXmk2, Mojo 2, various mobile devices. I had shrugged and chalked it up to the ZD's higher output impedance of the 6c33-b tubes, but that was just a really non-informed guess.

edit: the ZD hasn't produced clipping distortion with any other headphone that I've tried on it even to the point where the SPL becomes painful; the phenomena for me so far has been isolated to the Utopia's.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #19,334 of 20,736
Can confirm my Utopia's have always mildly audibly clipped before getting "really loud" on my EC ZD. It doesn't happen on my GSXmk2, Mojo 2, various mobile devices. I had shrugged and chalked it up to the ZD's higher output impedance of the 6c33-b tubes, but that was just a really non-informed guess.

edit: the ZD hasn't produced clipping distortion with any other headphone that I've tried on it even to the point where the SPL becomes painful; the phenomena for me so far has been isolated to the Utopia's.
Mine aren't mildly clipping, they sound like rattling plastic on this song - https://tidal.com/browse/track/87563344

May 18, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #19,335 of 20,736
Mine aren't mildly clipping, they sound like rattling plastic on this song - https://tidal.com/browse/track/87563344
I was curious what all that clipping discussion was about (I'm a 95% classical and Jazz listener, I've really never experienced it in my year of owning the 2020 Utopia).

Playing that same track from Qobuz in 24/96 with the Naim HE volume set to 45 (which is the absolute loudest I'd submit my ears to) I can't hear any clipping.

Nice track by the way, I knew Tristano from his occasional forays into classical music (he went to Juillard, right?) but I'll have to check out more of what he's doing in the electronica genre (or how would you classify this)? And I'll need to look more into Löffler.

In any case - maybe it's a mismatch amp / Utopia? Have you had the same clipping issue on multiple amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back