Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #19,081 of 20,644
I’ve only had my new Utopia’s a week and straight out the box sound incredibly good with the Lazuli Ref+ so much I want to wear them constantly, but I promised myself this time after my OG’s I would wait 100 hrs before sitting and having a good few hours with them. Initially the soundstage seems so much better for me personally, but time will tell when I get to properly test them with my tracks I know inside out…
I will say a huge thanks to Vinh for helping me with the cable, the build quality in this is beautiful and as stated initial sounds already have me very excited!

Attachments

• CFBE53C4-4B4F-4CB9-8CA1-F6161D83AC1D.jpeg
    CFBE53C4-4B4F-4CB9-8CA1-F6161D83AC1D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B283D6ED-EEE0-4CC8-81F9-2C3B917991F5.jpeg
    B283D6ED-EEE0-4CC8-81F9-2C3B917991F5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #19,082 of 20,644
I lately got abyss 1266 TC. it is an amazing headphone, and objectively superior to the Utopia.
but yesterday I listened to a couple of ECM jazz albums from the focal, and it sounds so damn good, easy to drive, to wear, to listen to...
much more easygoing than the abyss.
by the way, I equalize them as per oratory eq and honestly going back to stock, or stock+5db low shelf is a downgrade. in stock form, it shouts!
Very happy to have them, I think the abyss will leave the house before the utopia

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #19,084 of 20,644
The Utopia is in between the Susvara and the 1266. It has great a great neutral tuning.
in stock form, it shouts!
Yup. It can sound shouty sometimes. It did for me aswell with the original cable. I AM NORMALLY NOT A CABLE BELIEVER GUY, but after swapping to a (relatively) cheap copper balanced cable from Forza it was not an issue anymore (i could also finally drive it balanced, so maybe that did also change something). That's a double shame because of the unique Lemo connectors that are very expensive.
Interesting that the 2022 version did not address the mids, they could have toned them down 1 or 1.5db at the pinna gain, but they instead toned down the treble, from which i've heard nobody had issues with...
Seems like they wanted to keep the very forward mids...

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #19,085 of 20,644
I lately got abyss 1266 TC. it is an amazing headphone, and objectively superior to the Utopia.
but yesterday I listened to a couple of ECM jazz albums from the focal, and it sounds so damn good, easy to drive, to wear, to listen to...
much more easygoing than the abyss.
by the way, I equalize them as per oratory eq and honestly going back to stock, or stock+5db low shelf is a downgrade. in stock form, it shouts!
Very happy to have them, I think the abyss will leave the house before the utopi
what do you mean by it being "objectively superior"? does it measure better?
i appreciate that this reviewer is controversial but he has measured both headphones. while he is critical of them both, the utopia appears to suffer from fewer "objective faults" than the abyss 1266 tc - fwiw.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../abyss-ab-1266-phi-tc-review-headphone.23411/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-utopia-review-headphone.22103/

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #19,086 of 20,644
I knew that reviews, but trust me, Abyss 1266TC is clearly superior, for bass, detail, realism, and soundstage... Meanwhile, I considered Diana TC inferior to Utopia.
Anyway, for the shape, ease to drive, and to listen to, Utopia could be the headphone that can stay with me longer (i already have it for 3.5 years..)

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #19,087 of 20,644
I knew that reviews, but trust me, Abyss 1266TC is clearly superior, for bass, detail, realism, and soundstage... Meanwhile, I considered Diana TC inferior to Utopia.
Anyway, for the shape, ease to drive, and to listen to, Utopia could be the headphone that can stay with me longer (i already have it for 3.5 years..)
"clearly superior" in your opinion, which is subjective. nothing personal but i'm going to trust my own ears rather than yours and i expect that you would trust yours rather than mine. i may listen to the abyss 1266tc and find that my impression of it aligns with yours or that it doesn't, which is fine. we are talking about subjective perception and personal preference here. there shouldn't be any expectation that we will hear the abyss 1266tc in exactly the same way. that also goes for the utopia, diana tc and any other headphone that you care to mention.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #19,088 of 20,644
So when the new Utopia was announced it got me thinking about making a change but not for the new model but to see what else was out there. So I ended up picking up the Expanse on release date with the idea I could return it within a year. When first heard it I thought I made a big mistake and then warmed up to it. I could tell it was technically better with more resolution but wasn’t sure that equaled more enjoyment. I ended up selling the Utopia because thought the Expanse did electric guitar better than Utopia even with Danacable Reference. But over time, I found myself not enjoying certain albums as much. Some of the fun was missing. It seemed like missing the pace and rhythm of the Utopia. It also felt more closed in with the soundstage too close for my tastes. So after 2 months I returned it.

But instead of going back to the Utopia I decided to give the ZMF Caldera a try just based on looks. Had these since Christmas and all the fun is back and is giving me a slightly different sound I was looking for. Think the soundstage is a little bigger than the Utopia and impact and bass are similar. Utopia might have a slightly tighter sound while the Caldera has more sub bass. I plan on keeping the Caldera and think I prefer them over the Utopia but make me appreciate how much I loved the Utopia sound too. On the Naim HE, I found nothing wrong with them. And the Naim HE seems perfect with the Caldera as well. One other bonus with ZMF is they have lifetime warranty on their drivers.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #19,089 of 20,644
"clearly superior" in your opinion, which is subjective. nothing personal but i'm going to trust my own ears rather than yours and i expect that you would trust yours rather than mine. i may listen to the abyss 1266tc and find that my impression of it aligns with yours or that it doesn't, which is fine. we are talking about subjective perception and personal preference here. there shouldn't be any expectation that we will hear the abyss 1266tc in exactly the same way. that also goes for the utopia, diana tc and any other headphone that you care to mention.
well, then try to listen to the 1266tc, and then we can speak
it is pretty clear they are in two different leagues, but a part of the polemics, as I wrote, Utopia is a much easy listen for a bunch of reasons

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #19,090 of 20,644
well, then try to listen to the 1266tc, and then we can speak
it is pretty clear they are in two different leagues, but a part of the polemics, as I wrote, Utopia is a much easy listen for a bunch of reasons
well, i listened to the ab1266 last year when i was auditioning the diana v2, although i'm not sure if it was the latest tc iteration as i didn't think to ask. it wasn't a revelatory listening experience for me but my interest was in the diana anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #19,091 of 20,644
well, i listened to the ab1266 last year when i was auditioning the diana v2, although i'm not sure if it was the latest tc iteration as i didn't think to ask. it wasn't a revelatory listening experience for me but my interest was in the diana anyway.

I've auditioned the 1266 several times. While it does have outstanding bass, the fit, finish, comfort and endless revisions took it out of the running for me. Full Disclosure: I won't buy anything from Abyss/JPS, so that may have impacted my assessment.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #19,092 of 20,644
I've auditioned the 1266 several times. While it does have outstanding bass, the fit, finish, comfort and endless revisions took it out of the running for me. Full Disclosure: I won't buy anything from Abyss/JPS, so that may have impacted my assessment.
i can understand that, having auditioned it a few times myself

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #19,094 of 20,644
So after all the recommendations for the Lazuli Ref cable, I finally bit the bullet. I never imagined spending so much on a cable, and felt very dumb doing it. But with all the strong impressions on the audio benefit it provides to the Utopia, I felt compelled to hear it for myself. I had been using the Forza Noir HPC and stock cable (which to me doesn't sound terrible, its just too long of a cable for me).

Welp, sorry to Lazuli fans but the Ref cable was a big, comprehensive disappointment to me. I'm baffled really that this cable is so highly regarded for the Utopia, or even at all justified by many for its high price tag. Baffled. I don't usually talk bad about products, and am very careful and do a lot of research before buying something. So me writing this feels weird, but I feel like I need to provide a data point for others in my position of curiosity.

Firstly, the cable is built nicely and feels solid and expensive. Particularly, the Y-splitter and headphone connectors look shiny and feel expensive. The sheathing was a little mixed for me. It's a mix of brown and black threads. The brown was fine, but the black looked and felt like cheap shiny plastic. I ran my fingernail across the threads and could move them easily. I guess at the price I'd expect the sheathing to be more tightly wound, but don't think it's going to come undone or anything. That said, there were points throughout the cable that I could see brown fibers sticking up. I know it's a minor thing, but this is a $1k cable. For comparison, I've had three Forza cables in the past, wrapped in their Noir material. Theirs is much more tightly wrapped and feels better in the hand too, with zero imperfections on all three cables I've had. Bear in mind that this is ~ $200-$300.

I'll give that the Danacable felt more meaty and substantial, like a serious piece of equipment. But then you realize that that comes at quite an ergonomic cost. It is heavy and much too stiff. Like, for what it was, I knew it would be stiff and I was willing to accept that. But this was much worse than I thought. With the headphone on, I could feel the cable pressing on my shoulders, and my head movement dug them into me. So I felt constrained to keeping my face forward. Next, despite me getting the shorter 2m version, I could not fit the cable into the Focal headphone case (this is how I like to store the headphones). I couldn't believe it. I could even fit the Utopia's 3m stock cable in the case. Both the stiffness and thickness of the Lazuli are an ergonomic nightmare.

But surely the sound improvement will make up for all that? I'm sorry guys, I was baffled again. On a positive, I did notice that the mids (particularly male vocals) were meatier/more forward than the other cables. But that was about it. My first What with the sound was that I was getting bored. I remember on my first listen that I was really paying attention for differences, as we all do with new gear. But then I just laid back and continued to listen for a longer session to allow my brain to adjust to the new sound. Without even thinking about it, within a few minutes I pulled out my phone and started messing with it. After I realized it, I put the phone down and tried to devote 100% attention to listening (note that this is not common behavior for me, I'm usually engaged with the Utopia). I switch among my favorite tracks to see what I hear. After an hour, I'm like okay...something's off. I felt nothing. It was just...nice. But "nice" in this case was actually not a good thing, because the Utopia usually sounds "awesome" to me.

So maybe I thought I was just off that day, dunno. I tried again the next night, and same thing. I have to keep myself from getting bored and pulling out my phone or thinking about something else. It was so weird! I've never ever been bored with the Utopia. So then I start a/b'ing with the Forza cable to see what was causing this. A couple things were immediate with the a/b. The top end on the Lazuli is neutered. It was such a big difference with the Forza cable, despite them both using 100% copper. It suggested why people liked this cable so much, for the same reason Focal tuned the new 2022 version to be less bright. Except in my case, I don't find my OG Utopia peaky. Yes, it's treble prominent, but not peaky (or shouty) to me. It's realistic. So unfortunately in my case, what this cable does is suck the life out of the upper end. I could immediately hear the difference when switching to the Forza cable (and stock cable too). The airiness/clarity in the treble region would come back. This is why I felt like something was missing and kept getting bored with the Lazuli. The only thing to me the Lazuli did better was the meatier mids, but the neutered treble much overshadowed it.

I really couldn't believe that a $1K sounded worse, that I was in denial and keep putting more time with the Lazuli to make sure. I just kept getting bored, over and over again. Eventually I reached out to Danacable and they allowed me to return it. I have to say props to them for letting you try it and return within 30 days of receiving the product. They were great, didn't push back, didn't make me pay a restocking fee, and understood the points I made on why it wasn't for me. No bad feelings at all on their interaction. I only had to pay the shipping costs, which was a fair deal to me, because I got to put this curiosity to bed.

Suffice to say, you won't catch me spending anywhere near $1K for a cable again. The thoughts I'm left with on the matter is that, if the Utopia is too bright for you, it probably isn't the right headphone for you (or now that there's a warmer 2022 version, only look to that). Don't look at a super expensive cable to "fix" it so you can enjoy it, it just isn't the right headphone for you. If you are like me and love the Utopia's sound through-and-through, then I would tread with caution on this cable.

Attachments

• 20221225_123917.jpg
    20221225_123917.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #19,095 of 20,644
So after all the recommendations for the Lazuli Ref cable, I finally bit the bullet. I never imagined spending so much on a cable, and felt very dumb doing it. But with all the strong impressions on the audio benefit it provides to the Utopia, I felt compelled to hear it for myself. I had been using the Forza Noir HPC and stock cable (which to me doesn't sound terrible, its just too long of a cable for me).

Welp, sorry to Lazuli fans but the Ref cable was a big, comprehensive disappointment to me. I'm baffled really that this cable is so highly regarded for the Utopia, or even at all justified by many for its high price tag. Baffled. I don't usually talk bad about products, and am very careful and do a lot of research before buying something. So me writing this feels weird, but I feel like I need to provide a data point for others in my position of curiosity.

Firstly, the cable is built nicely and feels solid and expensive. Particularly, the Y-splitter and headphone connectors look shiny and feel expensive. The sheathing was a little mixed for me. It's a mix of brown and black threads. The brown was fine, but the black looked and felt like cheap shiny plastic. I ran my fingernail across the threads and could move them easily. I guess at the price I'd expect the sheathing to be more tightly wound, but don't think it's going to come undone or anything. That said, there were points throughout the cable that I could see brown fibers sticking up. I know it's a minor thing, but this is a $1k cable. For comparison, I've had three Forza cables in the past, wrapped in their Noir material. Theirs is much more tightly wrapped and feels better in the hand too, with zero imperfections on all three cables I've had. Bear in mind that this is ~ $200-$300.

I'll give that the Danacable felt more meaty and substantial, like a serious piece of equipment. But then you realize that that comes at quite an ergonomic cost. It is heavy and much too stiff. Like, for what it was, I knew it would be stiff and I was willing to accept that. But this was much worse than I thought. With the headphone on, I could feel the cable pressing on my shoulders, and my head movement dug them into me. So I felt constrained to keeping my face forward. Next, despite me getting the shorter 2m version, I could not fit the cable into the Focal headphone case (this is how I like to store the headphones). I couldn't believe it. I could even fit the Utopia's 3m stock cable in the case. Both the stiffness and thickness of the Lazuli are an ergonomic nightmare.

But surely the sound improvement will make up for all that? I'm sorry guys, I was baffled again. On a positive, I did notice that the mids (particularly male vocals) were meatier/more forward than the other cables. But that was about it. My first What with the sound was that I was getting bored. I remember on my first listen that I was really paying attention for differences, as we all do with new gear. But then I just laid back and continued to listen for a longer session to allow my brain to adjust to the new sound. Without even thinking about it, within a few minutes I pulled out my phone and started messing with it. After I realized it, I put the phone down and tried to devote 100% attention to listening (note that this is not common behavior for me, I'm usually engaged with the Utopia). I switch among my favorite tracks to see what I hear. After an hour, I'm like okay...something's off. I felt nothing. It was just...nice. But "nice" in this case was actually not a good thing, because the Utopia usually sounds "awesome" to me.

So maybe I thought I was just off that day, dunno. I tried again the next night, and same thing. I have to keep myself from getting bored and pulling out my phone or thinking about something else. It was so weird! I've never ever been bored with the Utopia. So then I start a/b'ing with the Forza cable to see what was causing this. A couple things were immediate with the a/b. The top end on the Lazuli is neutered. It was such a big difference with the Forza cable, despite them both using 100% copper. It suggested why people liked this cable so much, for the same reason Focal tuned the new 2022 version to be less bright. Except in my case, I don't find my OG Utopia peaky. Yes, it's treble prominent, but not peaky (or shouty) to me. It's realistic. So unfortunately in my case, what this cable does is suck the life out of the upper end. I could immediately hear the difference when switching to the Forza cable (and stock cable too). The airiness/clarity in the treble region would come back. This is why I felt like something was missing and kept getting bored with the Lazuli. The only thing to me the Lazuli did better was the meatier mids, but the neutered treble much overshadowed it.

I really couldn't believe that a $1K sounded worse, that I was in denial and keep putting more time with the Lazuli to make sure. I just kept getting bored, over and over again. Eventually I reached out to Danacable and they allowed me to return it. I have to say props to them for letting you try it and return within 30 days of receiving the product. They were great, didn't push back, didn't make me pay a restocking fee, and understood the points I made on why it wasn't for me. No bad feelings at all on their interaction. I only had to pay the shipping costs, which was a fair deal to me, because I got to put this curiosity to bed.

Suffice to say, you won't catch me spending anywhere near $1K for a cable again. The thoughts I'm left with on the matter is that, if the Utopia is too bright for you, it probably isn't the right headphone for you (or now that there's a warmer 2022 version, only look to that). Don't look at a super expensive cable to "fix" it so you can enjoy it, it just isn't the right headphone for you. If you are like me and love the Utopia's sound through-and-through, then I would tread with caution on this cable.
I've read through your post with great interest as I have just bought some Lazuli Reference cables for my OG Utopia's that I bought mid 2022 so late production original headphones. I bought a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for them and like that cable a lot. But I also felt the need to try the Danacable so bought them.
At this stage I'm still burning them in but my plan is to do a long term listen while they well and truly burn in then plan to change over to see if I can tell any difference.
My system consists of a DAVE DAC (new purchase and fantastic) running into a Pathos Inpol Ear (Russian Reflector Valves) and the source for an Auralic Aries G. Overall my system sounds to me about as good as I plan to have. So the cables were a rather expensive experiment/tweak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back