Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #13,336 of 20,644
It doesn’t really dry out. It’s very sticky. It seeps out from where the leather meets the rigid part.

How long have you had the phones until the ear-pads started to "rot"?

Can these ear-pads still be used (e.g. cleaned and put back), or the only option is to shell out $250 and buy a new pair? It wouldn't be good if that goop seeps into the driver!

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #13,339 of 20,644
How long have you had the phones until the ear-pads started to "rot"?

Can these ear-pads still be used (e.g. cleaned and put back), or the only option is to shell out $250 and buy a new pair? It wouldn't be good if that goop seeps into the driver!
No the ear pads are bunk now. The leather is starting to slip out. I got new ear pads. It’s been two years of at least four hours per day. They are well-used. The new pads sound better.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #13,341 of 20,644
I just got the Utopia [used] and will say that they are a significant step up from the Clear, across the board. [And I have really been enjoying the Clear.] Compared to the Utopia, the Clear sound a bit thin and veiled--if you can even imagine that.

However, I am noting something of a channel imbalance with the Utopia: the sound field seems to be collapsed slightly on the left side, just annoying enough to prevent a good listen. There seems to be less discernible air, bloom and detail from the left channel compared to the right.

. . . and this after they were sent back under warranty [by the prior owner] and a new pair of matched drivers was reportedly installed.

Oh! the vicissitudes of this hobby!

Hi All,

I want to ask is there anyone had exp as above old entry for their Utopia? I just bought it used and it seems there is slightly channel imbalance but not necessarily imbalance it's just that it seems the left channel is not as blooming as the right channel, not as clear. Additionally when I push the bass using EQ the right channel is rattling a bit and left channel is not.

There is still warranty, do you think I should claim it and return it to the dealer?

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #13,342 of 20,644
Hi All,

I want to ask is there anyone had exp as above old entry for their Utopia? I just bought it used and it seems there is slightly channel imbalance but not necessarily imbalance it's just that it seems the left channel is not as blooming as the right channel, not as clear. Additionally when I push the bass using EQ the right channel is rattling a bit and left channel is not.

There is still warranty, do you think I should claim it and return it to the dealer?

Thanks!

Try with mono recording (easily found on youtube) to check imbalance test.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #13,343 of 20,644
Hi All,

Thanks!
Before you consider that, reverse the headphones and see if the problem moves to the left channel.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #13,345 of 20,644
Hi everyone... wanna join this club too!

Bought this 3 weeks ago and have just received Lazuli Reference a week ago. In my view, stock cable really prevents this phones to show its full potential. When I swapped in the Lazuli, everything is way... way... better... even with my outdated/lackluster setup.

BTW, will have my QB9 upgraded to version "Twenty" tomorrow... amazing how Ayre still supports its customers providing upgrade to this 10 years old DAC.

Phones.jpg

It also sounds great with my Tube 300B/274B amp. Even like it more than with V281 (which also sounds great out of XLR output).

126959098_3313960715382473_6455598700448530587_o.jpg

By the way... how many of you guys encountered driver failure issue? From what I searched it seemed this problem is inevitable.

I'm not really into tube amps anymore, but they sure are prettier than solid state amps. That is a pretty cool looking one.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #13,346 of 20,644
I'm not really into tube amps anymore, but they sure are prettier than solid state amps. That is a pretty cool looking one.

I bought this amp 4-5 years ago when I got my LCD-X. Initially planned to get Woo WA5 but a friend recommended this brand saying it is vastly superior to anything he had heard. I then had a chance to compare it with other well-known brands and for me, it sounded better than anything in $4,000-7,000 range. Company that made this amp is specialized in making transformer and transformer is among the most important components in tube amp.

I think syrupy characteristic of 300B tube helps to tame this relatively bright headphones. Replacing the stock tubes with a matched pair of PSVane WE300B and WE274B replicas (well... not as good as real thing but enough for me) improved sound quality another notch!

That said... I rarely use it these days as it generates quite a lot of heat and requires 15-20 mins to sound its best (normal characteristic of tube amp though).

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #13,347 of 20,644
Pad goop. I ended up cleaning it with some cotton swabs and a microfiber cloth because the goop most certainly ended up on the plastic part of the cups. I just bought new pads from Moon Audio. I'll take a look at them very few months for evidence of future goopage. As far as I know, none of the goop got into the driver. At four large ones, we shouldn't have to deal with this.

I experienced the same pad "goop" problem with my first Utopias after nearly three years of (more or less) daily use. Bought new ear pads for the Utopias and kept the cleaned plastic rings for use with Brainwavz sheepskin pads for the Elegia.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #13,348 of 20,644
I need to reduce my collection, and the Utopia is a "prime candidate" to go, given that I have a Stellia - which is not the same, but definitely closer to the signature than others. But the more time I spend with the Utopia trying to make my decision, the more I realize that the Utopia is what I really want. It is less bombastic than the AB-1266 TC or not as feel-good as the Empy. But it has this fantastic positioning of instruments in your head surrounding you, I just want to keep it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #13,349 of 20,644
I need to reduce my collection, and the Utopia is a "prime candidate" to go, given that I have a Stella - which is not the same, but definitely closer to the signature than others. But the more time I spend with the Utopia trying to make my decision, the more I realize that the Utopia is what I really want. It is less bombastic than the AB-1266 TC or not as feel-good as the Empy. But it has this fantastic positioning of instruments in your head surrounding you, I just want to keep it.
You must try EQing the Utopia, it worked well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back