Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #13,352 of 20,796
I need to reduce my collection, and the Utopia is a "prime candidate" to go, given that I have a Stellia - which is not the same, but definitely closer to the signature than others. But the more time I spend with the Utopia trying to make my decision, the more I realize that the Utopia is what I really want. It is less bombastic than the AB-1266 TC or not as feel-good as the Empy. But it has this fantastic positioning of instruments in your head surrounding you, I just want to keep it.
I always come back to the Utopia every time. I'll never sell mine. It's just too good.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #13,353 of 20,796
Personally, the Utopia is somewhat bright to me, but I only feel that way after getting the Empyrean. So it might be related to that. I've enjoyed having both as they have different strengths and complement each other, if I'm in an analytical mood and want detail I like the Utopia, but I tend to use the Empyrean if I'm going on hours long sessions as it has less subjective fatigue to me.

The Utopia is a good pairing with warmer amps as well, in my experience, and the empy does better with colder amps.

"I think syrupy characteristic of 300B tube helps to tame this relatively bright headphones."

Yeah. Sounds relatable. I think I will keep that in mind in the future for equipment pairings. That's a big advantage of tube amps.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #13,355 of 20,796
Personally, the Utopia is somewhat bright to me, but I only feel that way after getting the Empyrean. So it might be related to that. I've enjoyed having both as they have different strengths and complement each other, if I'm in an analytical mood and want detail I like the Utopia, but I tend to use the Empyrean if I'm going on hours long sessions as it has less subjective fatigue to me.

The Utopia is a good pairing with warmer amps as well, in my experience, and the empy does better with colder amps.

"I think syrupy characteristic of 300B tube helps to tame this relatively bright headphones."

Yeah. Sounds relatable. I think I will keep that in mind in the future for equipment pairings. That's a big advantage of tube amps.
I wonder how much that brightness is related to the Hugo 2 and your Sony dac-amp.
I find the Utopia too bright with my ifi retro stereo 50 built in dac, but with my R2R I find the Utopia smooth. of course brighter then say hd650 but not like the hd800.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #13,356 of 20,796
I wonder how much that brightness is related to the Hugo 2 and your Sony dac-amp.
I find the Utopia too bright with my ifi retro stereo 50 built in dac, but with my R2R I find the Utopia smooth. of course brighter then say hd650 but not like the hd800.

It's not the Hugo2 as I love that pairing. Coming from the Empyrean (definitely on the warmer side of neutral), I can see how someone would think the Utopia are brighter (when IMO they are quite a bit more neutral).

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #13,357 of 20,796
It's not the Hugo2 as I love that pairing. Coming from the Empyrean (definitely on the warmer side of neutral), I can see how someone would think the Utopia are brighter (when IMO they are quite a bit more neutral).

For me, I found the Hugo 2 a little thin sounding. I was mostly using HF on setting since gave more detail and tamed the highs. Felt it was too bright with first filter. But wasn’t as much a fan of the last 2 settings since it didn’t seem as transparent.

When I switched to the Dave I was shocked at how much fuller the Utopia’s sounded. I was expecting better texture and layering but didn’t realize how full they could sound. The Hugo 2 gives them a very analytical sound vs warmer organic sound.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #13,358 of 20,796
For me, I found the Hugo 2 a little thin sounding. I was mostly using HF on setting since gave more detail and tamed the highs. Felt it was too bright with first filter. But wasn’t as much a fan of the last 2 settings since it didn’t seem as transparent.

When I switched to the Dave I was shocked at how much fuller the Utopia’s sounded. I was expecting better texture and layering but didn’t realize how full they could sound. The Hugo 2 gives them a very analytical sound vs warmer organic sound.

The DAVE is certainly fuller sounding (I own both as well), but remember, the Empyrean are pretty darn warm.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #13,359 of 20,796
The DAVE is certainly fuller sounding (I own both as well), but remember, the Empyrean are pretty darn warm.

I haven’t heard the Empyrean yet. I used to have AT L3000, which is a very warm headphone with powerful bass. Owned that for over 10 years and was looking to try something different. I was also looking for best headphone I could buy that could be powered by the Hugo 2 without an amp. That’s why I was surprised at how much fuller the Dave was. Thought the Hugo 2 would have had enough power.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #13,360 of 20,796
I haven’t heard the Empyrean yet. I used to have AT L3000, which is a very warm headphone with powerful bass. Owned that for over 10 years and was looking to try something different. I was also looking for best headphone I could buy that could be powered by the Hugo 2 without an amp. That’s why I was surprised at how much fuller the Dave was. Thought the Hugo 2 would have had enough power.

The L3000 is warmer still. The price difference between the Hugo2 and DAVE isn't really fair. I love having both as I can use my Hugo2 in the backyard on my deck or take it with me when I travel (obviously pre-COVID travel :frowning2:).

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #13,361 of 20,796
The L3000 is warmer still. The price difference between the Hugo2 and DAVE isn't really fair. I love having both as I can use my Hugo2 in the backyard on my deck or take it with me when I travel (obviously pre-COVID travel :frowning2:).

I sold all my other stuff and just have Grado’s SR-60 and iPhone as my portable setup. When I had the Hugo 2, I used it with the L3000 at home and Grado’s SR-80 at work. It was the SR-80 the actually led me to the Utopia’s. In some ways the open nature of the Grado’s sounded better than the L3000. I no longer needed a closed headphone at home and started researching best open headphones for the Hugo 2. Not sure if the Utopia’s are the perfect match but glad I kept them, since they sound simply incredible with the Dave.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #13,362 of 20,796
My system is Audio-gd R7 to Master 9. It's a bit thin sounding at times. For kicks, I also have a Darkvoice 336se plugged into the R7. I find myself gravitating towards that when I'm not listening for work. When COVID is over and the money starts flowing again, I'll save up and get a proper tube amp worthy of the Utopia.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #13,363 of 20,796

Dave significantly better than Hugo 2 indeed.

However there is no correlation between sound fuller and have more power. Hugo 2 provide sufficient power for Utopia. Doesn't mean everyone would like this pairing though.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #13,364 of 20,796
Dave significantly better than Hugo 2 indeed.

However there is no correlation between sound fuller and have more power. Hugo 2 provide sufficient power for Utopia. Doesn't mean everyone would like this pairing though.

What would you say is giving it the full sound? I understand the 2 dacs are in different leagues but thought maybe some of it was due to the Dave having more power. I never heard the TT2, so don’t know how power actually affects the sound.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #13,365 of 20,796
What would you say is giving it the full sound? I understand the 2 dacs are in different leagues but thought maybe some of it was due to the Dave having more power. I never heard the TT2, so don’t know how power actually affects the sound.

The Hugo 2 still has alot of digital artifects in the sound.

The Chord Dave simply is able to reproduce the analog signal like how it should be.

Headphones like the Utopia are so good, it will easily pick up the digital harshness from the Hugo 2 making it sound “brighter” and “thinner”. With the Focal Clear, it is less of an issue as it will not pick up the limitations of the Hugo 2.

That is why I have been saying for years, if you buy a Focal Utopia, you need a Chord Dave. Else you might as well settle for the Focal Clear imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back