Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 23, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #10,501 of 20,647
How would you rank these when it comes to detail? (specially treble and midrange detail?)

Assuming best systems I've heard for each:

1. SR1a (this is kind of unfair since the system in question is the Spectral DMA 400 +DMC 30 SV, a lot more expensive than any other system here). I do think that the SR1a's can take the crown on most $10-15k speaker amps, though. Treble detail is unquestionably dominating on them, and midrange detail will scale up with amps. It's hard to compare these because most headphones don't scale this much with better systems.
2. I'm going to give this to the Stax 009 and BHSE. Planars are in a bad spot when it comes to beating electrostats on upper-mid detail, the Stax are notably weaker in the bass and especially the sub-bass though. I'll also slot the Shangri-La Sr. here but I'm not 100% sure on that, since I didn't listen to those on a DAC that I'm familiar with.
3. Mysphere 3.2 for midrange detail (Nagra Classic INT, Mass Kobo 394's in dual mono), on a top tier system the midrange is absolutely competitive with the 009, but the Mysphere's lose out to the 009 in treble microdetail. But you won't get the Mysphere's soundstage on any Estat system.
4. Susvara for treble detail (Spectral DMA 240 + DMC 30ss), overall I don't think that midrange imaging is quite as good as the Mysphere, and the treble range not as good as the 009 on a good system.

#5 would probably be the 1266 phi TC (Viva 845, Formula S with Power base) although my feeling is that the TC is still stronger in the bass range even though the midrange has improved considerably from the 1266 phi. If you asked about treble+bass the TC would probably be #2 or #3. But if we're talking about the Utopia at what I presume to be their best (Pass HPA1, Leben CS600) then they are definitely as good as the Susvara and Abyss Phi's, although the Mysphere's midrange is in another class.

I had the Utopia's for a while and do feel that it's a superb can in most regards. To edge out the Utopia's mid-upper resolution, it does seem like you need to either use a fully open design (Mysphere) which allows for optimal imaging and midrange presentation or go for exotic drivers that simply have better material properties (SR1a, 009). This is all splitting hairs of course, and I do feel that (personally) the reason to not continue to invest in the Utopia's has less to do with resolution than the degree to which they scale on better amps. The Uto's are great on weaker sources but do hit the bad part of the diminishing returns curve a bit sooner than the 1266 phi's.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #10,504 of 20,647
I think that the sound production in good fidelity requires a sufficient level of spring mass to power ratio be very low , where electro stats comes first and then planars with thin membrane.
Those dynamic phones have relatively higher ratio regardless of technologies where utopia has less dynamic mass of Berylium with coreless voice coil, the combined weight of which is still not comparable to the dynamic mass of thin membrane with thin-printed voice traces on it.
This technical limitation is there, so that 009S superiority is easily understandable, even though light weight beryllium cone with floated support and coreless voice coil is regarded as big new way of design to overcome the traditional limitation of dynamic drivers.
is the sr009s technically superior to the utopia? i'd be interested in seeing how well the utopia's driver technology actually performs in comparison to its totl estat (and planar magnetic) competition through rigorous testing before accepting that claim.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #10,505 of 20,647
When driven well:
- Susvara (treble and midrange detail)
- 1266 Phi and Phi TC (bass and treble mostly)
- Diana Phi's (more of a tossup, and they are picky about synergy when you're trying to max out resolution)
- Mysphere 3 (midrange and treble)
- Raal SR1a
- Stax 007 and 009
- Shangri-La, maybe Shangri-La Jr. but definitely the Sr.
- Shure KSE1500/1200, they need a desktop amp mod to sound their best though.
For me I have found that stats and planars can sound a bit thin compared to Utopia’s which can make them sound detailed but a bit unsatisfying musically. The Utopia for me is the “total package”.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #10,508 of 20,647
I own both 900 and Utopia, I prefer Utopia... maybe is the 006t amp not enough for 900 but I like Utopia much more....

If you are referring to the Stax SR-009, the SRM-006T is indeed marginal for driving it. However, modding it by replacing the output plate resistors with a constant current source makes it a reasonably good driver for that headphone.

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #10,510 of 20,647
For me I have found that stats and planars can sound a bit thin compared to Utopia’s which can make them sound detailed but a bit unsatisfying musically. The Utopia for me is the “total package”.
Hear a well driven stat and planar system , then you'll change your mind

But anyway i find the Utopias to be superb at what they do. My ive heard them again recently through a ZDS and boy are they different from when i had them in the past ( used a DAVE direct back then )
Really dynamic sounding headphone, easily a genre master i must say.

But i have since moved on to a good Estat and Planar system, with really no thoughts of re acquiring a Utopia. To each their own.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #10,512 of 20,647
You will miss that air flow. The Clear has more air flow than the Utopia though, imo.
Air flow? Meaning soundstage or air?

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #10,515 of 20,647
Really on the fence considering moving from Sennheisers (HD800) to Focals.. Have people made the jump and never looked back?
i've not owned the hd800 but i have listened to it many times over the years. i do own the utopia, however. hope that helps. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back