Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #6,826 of 20,644
sort of. From what I understand, it's the ratio of the impedance of the driver to the (output impedance of the amp plus the (impedance of the cable times 2))

Also, from what I understand this doesn't apply as much to headphones do to the small drivers. Dampening factor is more of an issue with large cones.

Also the Campfire Audio Cascade. I heard a cascade at a meet, and it was ok, but nothing special to me. It was detailed, but warn, in the campfire audio way. I felt it had a bit of bass bloom. It did seem fast compared to a regulate dynamic, but I preferred the Aeon closed over the Cascade.

I heard that headphone. It was good, but the problem is that the AFC exist. So I’m not interested in it. But that headphone doesn’t use a pure Be driver however.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #6,827 of 20,644
Which other headphones do have a pure Be driver?

Basically all Be speakers that I have heard beat other speakers (including electrostats or those silly horn speakers). That is the reason why I got the Focal Utopia headphone since all my favorite speakers use Be tweeters.
With the rules I am not allowed to talk about other products but I will PM you. Off the bat though @Whitigir just named one. I do like that one though but it’s not the 2 I was Thinking.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #6,829 of 20,644
I am a big fan of the HE-1000 v2 but was underwhelmed by the Susvara which I have heard twice,the last time through the wells amp new absurdly expensively TOTL

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #6,830 of 20,644
What's up, guys? Have you ever wondered how long it takes to read through 456 pages of Head-Fi Utopia chatter? 2 months, 4 days, 14 hours, and 42 minutes. I've laughed, I've cried, and shook with rage. Most of all, I think my eyes are going to fall out of their sockets because of all the rolling they've done. You all are craziest, most passionate bunch of yahoos I've come across in all of the internet. You bicker like little children and then say the most profound things in the very next breath. I've learned a lot in my journey through this thread -- mostly how to antagonize internet strangers -- and want to thank you all for the boat loads of entertainment.

I stopped by the Source AV one day back in early January to check out the Elear. I pretty much hated it but the Clear was eye opening. I was set on getting the Clear but then thought, "What the hell, I'm here, might as well check out the Utopia." Best mistake I've ever made in my life.

Right off the bat, the increased resolution jumped out at me. I've never heard anything sound so smooth but punchy. Like a fist wrapped in silk. Everything comes into focus whether you want it to or not. Depending on your choice of song, it's like waking up from a black out and putting on your glasses to see that the warm body cuddled up next to you is Ana de Armas... or Jenna Fischer. Even poorly recorded songs sound pretty damn good with these but great songs are transcendent.

I've been putting about 6 hours a day on my set and have come to the realization that I'll never get tired of how it sounds. It sounds great out of my Note 8, V30, and Mojo. I thought the Hugo 2 was a slight improvement, mostly hearing a slight bump in mid- and sub-bass, but the Dave is from another world. I don't think I'd ever get anything done if I had one. My wife would take the kid, I'd lose my job, and probably would stop eating and showering, but I'd fill that cold, empty hole in my head with glorious music.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #6,835 of 20,644
LOL, the best comment I have read so far. Music is the real therapy for the soul. We have 5 senses, and sex is only in touch senses. Music is hearing senses, and you can have Eargasm !

Sort of joking, sort of not. Not if you are doing it right.

What's up, guys? Have you ever wondered how long it takes to read through 456 pages of Head-Fi Utopia chatter? 2 months, 4 days, 14 hours, and 42 minutes. I've laughed, I've cried, and shook with rage. Most of all, I think my eyes are going to fall out of their sockets because of all the rolling they've done. You all are craziest, most passionate bunch of yahoos I've come across in all of the internet. You bicker like little children and then say the most profound things in the very next breath. I've learned a lot in my journey through this thread -- mostly how to antagonize internet strangers -- and want to thank you all for the boat loads of entertainment.

I stopped by the Source AV one day back in early January to check out the Elear. I pretty much hated it but the Clear was eye opening. I was set on getting the Clear but then thought, "What the hell, I'm here, might as well check out the Utopia." Best mistake I've ever made in my life.

Right off the bat, the increased resolution jumped out at me. I've never heard anything sound so smooth but punchy. Like a fist wrapped in silk. Everything comes into focus whether you want it to or not. Depending on your choice of song, it's like walking up from a black out and putting in your glasses to see that the warm body cuddled up next to you is Ana de Armas... or Jenna Fischer. Even poorly recorded songs sound pretty damn good with these but great songs are transcendent.

I've been putting about 6 hours a day on my set and have come to the realization that I'll never get tired of how it sounds. It sounds great out of my Note 8, V30, and Mojo. I thought the Hugo 2 was a slight improvement, mostly hearing a slight bump in mid- and sub-bass, but the Dave is from another world. I don't think I'd ever get anything done if I had one. My wife would take the kid, I'd lose my job, and probably would stop eating and showering, but I'd fill that cold, empty hole in my head with glorious music.

Very impressive. Plus, lots of the really passionate, but personal or off topic, stuff has been deleted.

Welcome to Utopiaville.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #6,836 of 20,644
Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 12.10.45 PM.png

Here is an interesting chat for driver material nerds. It's from page 134 here: http://www.gotomylis.com/

I if the "Figure Of Merit" does have merit, Beryllium is a superior driver material to CVD. It also makes me very curious to hear GrapheneQ in the future.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #6,837 of 20,644

Here is an interesting chat for driver material nerds. It's from page 134 here: http://www.gotomylis.com/

I if the "Figure Of Merit" does have merit, Beryllium is a superior driver material to CVD. It also makes me very curious to hear GrapheneQ in the future.

Thank you for the info!

I am curious to hear both the Beryllium and GraphenQ HPs as well because the execution is just as important as the material and the design.

I listened to some speakers from the past with Beryllium tweeters and they were so piercing bright they nearly drilled holes through my eardrums...

Apr 7, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #6,840 of 20,644
I didn’t think there were any headphones with a diamond driver. I thought only b&w tweeters were diamond.

Is there a pair of headphones with diamond drivers?
No, because I’m not sure speakers with that material can be full range, even at low volumes like for headphones. I think that is the magic of the utopia. They took a tweeter and made it effectively full range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back