Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #6,841 of 20,796
I didn’t think there were any headphones with a diamond driver. I thought only b&w tweeters were diamond.

Is there a pair of headphones with diamond drivers?

No, because I’m not sure speakers with that material can be full range, even at low volumes like for headphones. I think that is the magic of the utopia. They took a tweeter and made it effectively full range.

Campfire Audio has diamond drivers in the Vega (8.5mm) and Atlas (10mm) IEMs. From their site:

"For a quick background, A.D.L.C. (Amorphous Diamond-Like Carbon) is the hybrid of diamond and graphite carbon. It is a non-crystalline diamond. It is a material that has low density and high rigidity, important factors when considering diaphragm materials."

I haven't heard them myself, but the Vega is supposed to have monster bass. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that someone is working on making a full sized headphone out of the material. Wonder what it'll sound like.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #6,842 of 20,796
There’s rumor that Ken from ALO has/had an ADLC over-ear prototype he was showing some people prior to the cascade. Wouldn’t be super surprised to see something in the future with it being marketed as upscale/flagship but never know. If he does, I hope it’s open back.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #6,843 of 20,796
There’s rumor that Ken from ALO has/had an ADLC over-ear prototype he was showing some people prior to the cascade. Wouldn’t be super surprised to see something in the future with it being marketed as upscale/flagship but never know. If he does, I hope it’s open back.

I saw Ken's reply somewhere for the question whether they are planning an openback. As far as I remember, he said 'no.'

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #6,844 of 20,796
Nothing dynamic can surpass Stax in speed, unless it is other ES or the next flagship...or so we all wishes lol

Agreed. There are inherent limitations in each design and material that are very difficult to overcome. The Stax 009 and Utopia are great examples of what can be done with different approaches; they still show the limitations of each: the need for a tad more bass for the 009 and tighter, faster bass for Utopia. These are very small shortcomings but they are there.

The introduction of new, lighter (and faster) materials for headphone's dynamic drivers is exciting news indeed. Personally, I remain cautious.

To be successful, great execution is still paramount for any new design and/or new material. The High-End Audio industry is well known for repeating the same old pattern. So with the new space-age material and/or the new design with a catchy name, expect the ridiculous hype and the new price to match. $10,000 headphones anyone?

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #6,845 of 20,796
Oh come on, again with the "lacking bass" on the Utopia (I don't know about the 009 because I haven't heard them) ...
I mean at this point, you're looking for non audiophile, bloomy bass I'm guessing?

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #6,846 of 20,796
Oh come on, again with the "lacking bass" on the Utopia (I don't know about the 009 because I haven't heard them) ...
I mean at this point, you're looking for non audiophile, bloomy bass I'm guessing?

I never said the Utopia was " lacking bass" as it has plenty of it! And I never said nor implied I was seeking "non audiophile, bloomy bass" either.

I simply wish for a " tighter, faster bass for Utopia."

I also said "These are very small shortcomings but they are there" so please take the criticism for what it was. Not a bashing, but a mere quibble.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #6,847 of 20,796
He said the 009 needs more bass, not the utopia. He said the utopia needs better (not more), bass.

I think the sound of the utopia is perfect. I think it needs a redesigned headband, but I've mentioned this before, and I've posted by simple, $5 amazon, solution. Hers's a pic of the innards of my headband cover with some simple backing foam. Note the gap in the middle. That allows for pointy headed folks like me to wear the Utopia and not rip it off after fifteen minutes after experiencing actual pain at the top of my head.

9937508_l.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #6,849 of 20,796
"For a quick background, A.D.L.C. (Amorphous Diamond-Like Carbon) is the hybrid of diamond and graphite carbon. It is a non-crystalline diamond. It is a material that has low density and high rigidity, important factors when considering diaphragm materials."
Hmmmmmm...... one could argue that all carbon is "non-crystalline diamond." :thinking: Diamond, graphite and graphene are all allotropes of carbon, it is the bond structure that determines the physical properties.

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #6,851 of 20,796
Hmmmmmm...... one could argue that all carbon is "non-crystalline diamond." :thinking: Diamond, graphite and graphene are all allotropes of carbon, it is the bond structure that determines the physical properties.

I think we found out why your personality sparkles so much. You're a non-crystalline diamond.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #6,854 of 20,796
If you are looking for perfect bass nothing bests the sr-007mk1. It needs a well built powerful energizer behind it but yeah your not going to get any better. It has other shortcomings though. A lack of air for instance.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #6,855 of 20,796
He said the 009 needs more bass, not the utopia. He said the utopia needs better (not more), bass.

I think the sound of the utopia is perfect. I think it needs a redesigned headband, but I've mentioned this before, and I've posted by simple, $5 amazon, solution. Hers's a pic of the innards of my headband cover with some simple backing foam. Note the gap in the middle. That allows for pointy headed folks like me to wear the Utopia and not rip it off after fifteen minutes after experiencing actual pain at the top of my head.

9937508_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back