Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 23, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #5,416 of 20,602
A note on Nordost Heimdal 2. I have been using it for about a week with a Hugo (until my Hugo 2 arrives) and I am generally happy with it.

Compared with the stock cable, it did change the Utopia soundstage for the better. Although it varies by song, the instruments tend to be in more front rather than sideways. This is quite a significant change and a very welcome one. For example, Sayuri's Theme (John Williams, Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Tidal) the instruments are in a line in front of me.

If find the stock cable warmer and the Nordost leaner. The Nordost is more nuanced and transparent. Instruments on the Nordost sound more realistic which I really like. Say Yo-yo ma's cello is more alive and has more bite (Serio Leone Suite, Ecstasy of Gold, Yo-Yo Ma, Morricone, Tidal). The stock cable dims the cello a bit (say the equivalent of 0.5dB?). And something I had not experienced before. With the Nordost I can sense the dialog between Perlman and Ashkenazy in Beethoven's sonata for violin and piano No. 9 (Kreutzer). And when I say the dialog I mean how each musician reacts to the other's shifts in tone and dynamics.

I had also a few scares with the Nordost. Well, the lemo connectors don't slide as easily as the stock ones. So a couple of times in the beginning I thought the driver would come off along with the lemo. I think it is ok now but still the connectors don't slide as effortlessly as the stock ones. Also the Nordost doesn't scream quality but it is more flexible than the stock. On the positive side the two included adapters make it unlikely that you will need to reterminate the cable in the future.

Given the significant improvements in sound quality I think I will keep it but I wish a I had a Danacable to compare.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5,417 of 20,602
Hi guys, I'm about to get pitched a special "black friday" offer on a new pair of Utopia's that a local dealer got stuck with (purchaser left town until January). I don't know how much lower he's going to go, but I'll be finding out in person in about an hour.

My question for you all is the same I posed in the HD800S thread: how would you all describe the bass performance for these cans for fans of powerful bass?

I'm looking to retire my aging Denon D7000s ("V" signature found in current Fostex cans, pretty slammin' bass) and am used to that rather ample amount of bass for my music genres of choice (jazz, pop, hip-hop, and electronic primarily). I know these would be a solid upgrade in just about all respects but I know I ultimately won't be happy with them if bass thump is missing. I just won't be. I need to not just *hear* that the bass is there; I need to feel the bass too, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm between these and a pair of LCD-4's at this price range. I've heard great things about both but have seen a bit of waffling as it pertains to the bass, with some saying they are "just enough" and "just right" while premising their comments by saying that bass fans may want/need to EQ them to be more satisfied. Several of the reviews were by listeners who prefer bright cans in general which makes me nervous whey they say the bass is "just right" (lol). Needless to say, that sort of variance in reviews leads to some confusion and without a way to demo them (the loocal dealer won't open the box and wouldn't tell me his offer over the phone for some reason), I have to rely on you guys. Hoping for some brutally honest feedback here, and ideally from someone with similar music genre preferences, as the perspective of someone who generally prefers *just enough* bass probably won't be a terribly useful impression for me (with great respect).

Example tracks of bass that I enjoy feeling (if it helps):

If it matters, I listen to music/video/whatever on my headphones 8-10 hours a day, through my work day and onto my pleasure evening so headphones are very important to me. I listen through my desktop PC 100% of the time. I have a Chord 2Qute DAC and a Schiit Lyr 2 tube amp.

Any insight would be appreciated. Looking to make my final decision today or tomorrow. Also, if anyone else is here in south Florida (Boca Raton area) and knows where I could demo them, please let me know. Hearing them for myself would be greatly preferable, but it doesn't appear to be an option right now. The HD800S regulars suggested the Audeze might be a better choice than the HD800S, but Utopia owners may have a different opinion of their cans of choice. :) Thank you in advance.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #5,418 of 20,602
I have both the Utopia's and the LCD-4. My musical preferences range from classic rock to modern pop to EDM to 80's pop. Wide range as you can see. Just my two cents worth. I use the Utopia for classic rock and pop. Very tight and quick bass. I don't feel they are bass light. BUT, when I listen to EDM I definetely reach for the LCD-4. Also hard rock is great on the Audeze. Just the extra power in the bass and just a touch less energy in the treble. I also have the LCD-3 and Elear. The Elear has more bass punch than the Utopia but that's it. Utopia bests it everywhere else. By a very noticeable margin. Same with the Audeze. The LCD-4 has more control and definitely more detail in the treble region. Hope this helps.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5,419 of 20,602
A question for Focal owners: was there a recall on the Utopias? I recently bought an open-box pair of Utopias and noticed RMA stickers on the box. Plus, the left channel has some intermittent static on it. Makes me nervous about their reliability.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #5,420 of 20,602
A question for Focal owners: was there a recall on the Utopias? I recently bought an open-box pair of Utopias and noticed RMA stickers on the box. Plus, the left channel has some intermittent static on it. Makes me nervous about their reliability.

There was an awesome sales this past September if you purchased a new pair for 4k and donated a pair of old headphones during your purchase they knocked off 1k making the cost 3k followed by a big resale of B-stock in October from 1 authorized dealer (technically 2, Adorama sold some as well) moon-audio. Sounds like your purchased a pair of B-stock? You may not be able to send them back but definitely send them in for repair (if purchased from authorized dealer).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #5,421 of 20,602
There was an awesome sales this past September if you purchased a new pair for 4k and donated a pair of old headphones during your purchase they knocked off 1k making the cost 3k followed by a big resale of B-stock in October from 1 authorized dealer (technically 2, Adorama sold some as well) moon-audio. Sounds like your purchased a pair of B-stock? You may not be able to send them back but definitely send them in for repair (if purchased from authorized dealer).

I purchased from Adorama during the October sale. @ $2300 I couldn't resist. There was no evidence that the cans had ever been used -- they look new and function perfectly.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #5,422 of 20,602
I purchased from Adorama during the October sale. @ $2300 I couldn't resist. There was no evidence that the cans had ever been used -- they look new and function perfectly.

You and me both... couldn’t pass up that deal...

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #5,423 of 20,602
I’ve been out of Head Fi due to health reasons, just getting back into the Threads.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, the Draug 2 was an incredible addition for my HD800 and LCD 3, particularly the 800. Better tone, improved imaging in the broad soundstage they are famous for, as to the infamous, the Draug 2 tames the headpne’s enhanced “clarity.” 8 can’t wait to learn more about the Draug 3!

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,424 of 20,602
Had some serious testing today: Utopia with stock pads vs. Utopia with Clear pads

31048295zm.jpg

31048278eq.jpg

My conclusion: The sound difference is quite considerable. I tend to prefer the Utopia with the Clear pads. They offer a slightly warmer tonality with larger, especially much (!) deeper soundstage. The larger soundstage does not lead to more diffuse positioning (this happenend often to me when experimenting with different pads on other headphones). So this is definitely worth trying. I can hardly wait for my pair of clear pads to arrive!

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #5,425 of 20,602
Had some serious testing today: Utopia with stock pads vs. Utopia with Clear pads

31048295zm.jpg

31048278eq.jpg

My conclusion: The sound difference is quite considerable. I tend to prefer the Utopia with the Clear pads. They offer a slightly warmer tonality with larger, especially much (!) deeper soundstage. The larger soundstage does not lead to more diffuse positioning (this happenend often to me when experimenting with different pads on other headphones). So this is definitely worth trying. I can hardly wait for my pair of clear pads to arrive!

Which (of course) leads to to the question:

Clear pads vs Elear pads.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,427 of 20,602
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG

31048295zm.jpg

31048278eq.jpg

.....it seems you share my imprsions lol

When i get the Clear Pads i will send you a pair immediately

NOMAX

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #5,429 of 20,602
Utopia sounds so good to my ears with its regular ear pads.... someone bout to go buy these pads for 150-200 lol.DONT... save for better dac/amp ... this stuff gets silly sometimes...

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #5,430 of 20,602
Plussound cables sale is on for 20% off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back