Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,431 of 20,624
Utopia sounds so good to my ears with its regular ear pads.... someone bout to go buy these pads for 150-200 lol.DONT... save for better dac/amp ... this stuff gets silly sometimes...

I'm pretty sure I can't improve on my DAC/amp combo for $150 - 200.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #5,432 of 20,624
Had some serious testing today: Utopia with stock pads vs. Utopia with Clear pads

31048295zm.jpg

31048278eq.jpg

My conclusion: The sound difference is quite considerable. I tend to prefer the Utopia with the Clear pads. They offer a slightly warmer tonality with larger, especially much (!) deeper soundstage. The larger soundstage does not lead to more diffuse positioning (this happenend often to me when experimenting with different pads on other headphones). So this is definitely worth trying. I can hardly wait for my pair of clear pads to arrive!
Thanks for the report. What's the downside of the Clear pads on the Utopia? Obviously there's the aesthetics issues, which most people won't care about. There is a definite downside to using the Elear pads on the Utopia (google it, if you care), so there is probably a downside to the Clear pads too.

The alternative is the Clear pads are better, and the Focal will eventually update the Utopia with better pads.

Another alternative is that the Clear pads are as good, but just offer an alternative sound signature.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #5,433 of 20,624
I'm pretty sure I can't improve on my DAC/amp combo for $150 - 200.

But you’re well on your way to saving for one lol... one can easily get distracted from enjoying the music with all these DIY side projects for subtle changes with little return.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5,434 of 20,624
Utopia sounds so good to my ears with its regular ear pads.... someone bout to go buy these pads for 150-200 lol.DONT... save for better dac/amp ... this stuff gets silly sometimes...
I can barely, if ever, hear the difference between cables, but pads are almost always an obvious change. for example, I commonly use Branwaze Hybrid Angled pads on my TH900, because I prefer the slightly more mellow sound and the confront of the velour.

I would recommend that if one wants to change the sound of a headphone without using EQ, pads are a much more economic way to do so over cables, DACs and amp (assuming one has a good amp and DAC).

Once someone figure out how to 3D print the plastic ring that the Utopia/Clear/Elear use to attach the pads, a whole new world of sound signatures will open up.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #5,435 of 20,624
I can barely, if ever, hear the difference between cables, but pads are almost always an obvious change. for example, I commonly use Branwaze Hybrid Angled pads on my TH900, because I prefer the slightly more mellow sound and the confront of the velour.

I would recommend that if one wants to change the sound of a headphone without using EQ, pads are a much more economic way to do so over cables, DACs and amp (assuming one has a good amp and DAC).

Once someone figure out how to 3D print the plastic ring that the Utopia/Clear/Elear use to attach the pads, a whole new world of sound signatures will open up.

Already designed and tested. Use SLS/Nylon and you're in business.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwsCSISU3WvIdlZDcmlxM0ViZWc

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #5,436 of 20,624
Nov 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,437 of 20,624
But you’re well on your way to saving for one lol... one can easily get distracted from enjoying the music with all these DIY side projects for subtle changes with little return.

Violectric V280, EVS modded Sonica DAC -- $200 gets me maybe 10% of the way to an upgrade of one of those.

Meanwhile, the notion that the Clear pads might increase the sound stage really appeals, assuming there's no negative side effect.

I look forward to hearing more reports and possibly seeing some measurements.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5,438 of 20,624
Thanks for the report. What's the downside of the Clear pads on the Utopia? Obviously there's the aesthetics issues, which most people won't care about. There is a definite downside to using the Elear pads on the Utopia (google it, if you care), so there is probably a downside to the Clear pads too.

The alternative is the Clear pads are better, and the Focal will eventually update the Utopia with better pads.

Another alternative is that the Clear pads are as good, but just offer an alternative sound signature.

I did not like the Elear pads on the Utopia (the Utopia loses much of its magic with the Elear pads, imho), but I do like the Clear pads. I personally do not hear any downside with the Clear pads, but this is just me. :) Even if you one tends to believe in your second alternative, that it is just an alternative sound signature: The Clear pads are a very good alternative for those, who find Utopia's soundstage too small and/or who want a slightly more euphonic sound signature.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5,439 of 20,624
I want to change my cable for better aesthetics but I don’t want the sound to change for the worse. Is it best to get all copper or all silver cable? Can someone suggest based on their experience with both please? Generally, I wouldn’t look into getting a cable but I’m able to get one for much cheaper than usual.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5,440 of 20,624
I want to change my cable for better aesthetics but I don’t want the sound to change for the worse. Is it best to get all copper or all silver cable? Can someone suggest based on their experience with both please? Generally, I wouldn’t look into getting a cable but I’m able to get one for much cheaper than usual.

Imho, the Utopia stock cable sounds a bit darker overall than most aftermarket cables. So I would go for a copper cable with the Utopia, in case that you do not want to change its tonality too much.

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #5,441 of 20,624
Imho, the Utopia stock cable sounds a bit darker overall than most aftermarket cables. So I would go for a copper cable with the Utopia, in case that you do not want to change its tonality too much.

Based on what I’ve read and I may be wrong .. copper = laid/lush sound, deeper base, fuller sound .. silver = better treble, better clarity, wider sound stage.. is this correct?

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #5,442 of 20,624
If anyone is interested, there is a Utopia for sale on Audiogon for $2649,
"brand new sealed FOCAL Utopia with warranty. Full refund if not as described.
Priced very low to move the last pair."

I have no horse in the race here, just noticed it and thought I'd pass it on :)
And it's a dealer with 100% rating as well.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5,443 of 20,624
Based on what I’ve read and I may be wrong .. copper = laid/lush sound, deeper base, fuller sound .. silver = better treble, better clarity, wider sound stage.. is this correct?

You name it! In general this is what I find to be the case. There may be some exceptions to this rule, however. If you will ask a cable manufacturer and tell him that you only want to change the look of your cable (and not the sound too much), then he will almost certainly suggest to get a copper cable.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #5,444 of 20,624
You name it! In general this is what I find to be the case. There may be some exceptions to this rule. If you will ask a cable manufacturer for a cable and you tell him that you only want to change its look (and not the sound too much), then he will almost certainly suggest to get a copper cable.

Thanks to you and everyone else that helped me understand this better.

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #5,445 of 20,624

I know there are a few expensive, ugly headphones out there (Abyss??), but the Focal range does not fall into that category. Utopias have a really good balance of sound/performance, comfort and looks (if not price). For the price, there is no way I am going to turn them into some kind of hybrid mismatch. So I guess I am saying yes I do care about the aesthetics. Also, I really like the sound signature, so I am not desperately looking to change how they sound.

But full marks to Focal for keeping the ear pad arrangements the same between the elear, clear and utopia for those that want to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back