Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5,401 of 20,576
i think the beryllium needs a lot of hours to open up

Likely not the Beryllium, but the surround. The Beryllium dome is extremely rigid and if it ‘opens up’ or otherwise implied as flexing I would be concerned with the overall performance of the driver. The whole reason to use a potentially toxic and difficult to manufacture pure Beryllium driver is the rigidity of the dome.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #5,402 of 20,576
Likely not the Beryllium, but the surround. The Beryllium dome is extremely rigid and if it ‘opens up’ or otherwise implied as flexing I would be concerned with the overall performance of the driver. The whole reason to use a potentially toxic and difficult to manufacture pure Beryllium driver is the rigidity of the dome.

oh thanks for that

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #5,403 of 20,576

Pretty much this above :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #5,404 of 20,576
Did anyone notice that the utopia became warmer when it's fully burn in? Or is it just me? Or maybe my drivers spoilt?
I can't find the metallic high anymore and bass is deeper and tighter. The sounds is fuller and definitely less fatiguing now...
I don't know whether i like it now, but kinda disappointed, coz i got used to its brightness lol.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5,405 of 20,576
Did anyone notice that the utopia became warmer when it's fully burn in? Or is it just me? Or maybe my drivers spoilt?
I can't find the metallic high anymore and bass is deeper and tighter. The sounds is fuller and definitely less fatiguing now...
I don't know whether i like it now, but kinda disappointed, coz i got used to its brightness lol.

Utopia was never bright to begin with in my opinions. I never understand why so many people would call Utopia to be bright or fatiguing. It never gets to the level of Sa5000

Utopia is just pure awesome Dynamic, very balanced, natural, superbly details retrieval, and with an artful tune in the Trebles section that attenuate the Headphones (sibilants and Glares problems which only exist because Headphones is so close to the ears, speakers don’t have it).

If I had anything to complain, I would want wider soundstage and taller rendering for a much more immersive experience

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #5,406 of 20,576
“Bright” is a bit relative, but it’s not uncommon for headphones to break in a bit and its sound alter a bit. It's quite possible the sound altered a bit and mellowed.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #5,407 of 20,576
“Bright” is a bit relative, but it’s not uncommon for headphones to break in a bit and its sound alter a bit. It's quite possible the sound altered a bit and mellowed.
That's what i am experiencing, the sound altered and became warmer and mellowed. This is not my mind playing trick on me, it just so happened suddenly.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #5,409 of 20,576
That's what i am experiencing, the sound altered and became warmer and mellowed. This is not my mind playing trick on me, it just so happened suddenly.
"Suddenly" is not common. Break-in is commonly very subtle over dozens, if not a hundred or more, hours. If there was a sudden change, you might want to compare them to other Utopias (maybe at the dealer) to verify they sound right.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #5,410 of 20,576
@banco-sg how many hours have you had on them?
"Suddenly" is not common. Break-in is commonly very subtle over dozens, if not a hundred or more, hours. If there was a sudden change, you might want to compare them to other Utopias (maybe at the dealer) to verify they sound right.
I bought it last september, but i baby my utopia so much, and i think just reached >150 hours recently (few days ago), and noticed the difference in sound.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5,411 of 20,576
Anyone here using Labricable Grand 20? If so, what are your impressions of it.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,413 of 20,576
why are you unable to purchase cables from the Lavricable site? says store is closed?!

Not sure is this was addressed to me but I personally didn’t experience not being able to purchase for their store but I did read others having difficulty. I plan to purchase a set soon but want to know others impression of them.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #5,414 of 20,576
Not sure is this was addressed to me but I personally didn’t experience not being able to purchase for their store but I did read others having difficulty. I plan to purchase a set soon but want to know others impression of them.

I really like Lavricables' products. They're really well made and not too unreasonably priced, when you realize what it actually costs to source silver wire these days.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,415 of 20,576
I really like Lavricables' products. They're really well made and not too unreasonably priced, when you realize what it actually costs to source silver wire these days.

Are you currently using them on your Utopia? What noticeable sound difference stood out to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back