Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #5,386 of 20,536
I took a leap of faith and purchased the Chord Hugo 2 to pair with my focal.. was having a difficult time choosing between H2 and Sennheiser HDV820 but was presented with a price I couldn’t pass up for being a continuous returning customer..1800usd...figure I can sell it if I don’t like it for 2k. I got high hopes, fingers crossed.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,387 of 20,536
I took a leap of faith and purchased the Chord Hugo 2 to pair with my focal.. was having a difficult time choosing between H2 and Sennheiser HDV820 but was presented with a price I couldn’t pass up for being a continuous returning customer..1800usd...figure I can sell it if I don’t like it for 2k. I got high hopes, fingers crossed.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be bad A$$. I don't even think I need an upgrade after getting that little MOJO last week. I love it!, I don't need anything else currently.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,388 of 20,536
I'm pretty sure it's going to be bad A$$. I don't even think I need an upgrade after getting that little MOJO last week. I love it!, I don't need anything else currently.

I’m happy you finally got your MoJo, I hear good things about it. What made you pick it over the iFi DSD Black label? Did you hear both before purchasing.. I never heated the Mojo...

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #5,389 of 20,536
I’m happy you finally got your MoJo, I hear good things about it. What made you pick it over the iFi DSD Black label? Did you hear both before purchasing.. I never heated the Mojo...
I heard that the sound sig is brighter on the IFI, and I read many times that the MOJO is a good match for the Elear, figures that I bought the Clear it would also be a good match.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,390 of 20,536
A friend came over a few weeks back and brought his H2. I did a quick listen and was sold on it. Now I am a happy owner of one. I think you are going to like it.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #5,391 of 20,536
You guys probably knew about this but... After procrastinating for a while about getting a quality power cord, recently had a chance to order a decent one, Audioquest NRG-4. Someone said $250 should be the magic number, no less and no more. The change in sound quality of my utopia plugged into Rag via NRG-4 is much more noticeable and drastic than any custom headphone cable I tried so far worth more than 4 times that. I am definitely getting another one for my Dave!!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #5,392 of 20,536
apologies if this is too lo-fi for this thread but i plugged the utopia into my iphone last night and was astonished by how good it sounded

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #5,393 of 20,536
apologies if this is too lo-fi for this thread but i plugged the utopia into my iphone last night and was astonished by how good it sounded

It does sound very good from my phone as well. One perk of the Utopia is that it almost lends hi/fi sound in its own, like the amp/DAC is already covered. But they do obviously scale and reveal the entirety of the chain.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #5,394 of 20,536
i can understand the criticism of the utopia's stock cable. it's bulky and requires some wrangling. a lighter and thinner stock cable would be an improvement i think. a comment on the bass - i'm not wanting for any more and that's coming from a th900 owner. i'm also listening to it at a lower volume than my other cans and i listen at low to moderate volumes as it is, so it's highly sensitive and efficient.
Yes.. the power cord does a lot, if you have budget, you can try vertere hb power cord

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #5,396 of 20,536
has anyone paired the utopia with the questyle cma600i?

Not the Utopia, but I just had the CMA600i about one week audition with my Elear. I just posted my impressions on the Questyle CMA600i Loaner Program @TTVJAudio.com thread.

The Questyle CMA600i came very well packed, sandwiched between thick layers of foam and its attractive industrial design is heavier than its appearance and size would suggest. It is very versatile with preamp functions, balanced in and out connections and has it’s own built in DAC. I don't have any cans wired for balanced operation so having this amp without that might be somewhat of a waste just utilizing just the SE outputs? I am not sure of that never having experienced balanced driven cans and therefore have not experienced the claimed improvements thereof. Also, I was unable to get the DAC driver to work for most of my time with it until the last couple of days of my time with the unit due to, I think, operator error.
I was able to compare the CMA600i amp performance against my Icon Audio HP8 MkII (JAN-CHY-5692, Amperex 12ax7), and Lyr (Telefunken E88CC). I mostly used my Elear to compare, and briefly listened to the AH-D7000, LCD 2.2, HD650 and HD700, (listed in order of my preferred signatures).

The first thing I noticed was it had good deep black background, slightly warm but yet still retaining excellent crisp detail and having good detail and crispness, it excelled at separation, micro detail, air and it is lively sounding even with it being slightly warm. Rim shots were clean with good solid bass whacks and thumps and had good texture with bass notes. Even being a solid state design it compared well in depth, width and sound stage with my tubed amps, and it seemed to drive my cans effortlessly. Coherent, flat response and transparency come to mind listening to the Questyle.

It compared better with my HP MkII than with the Lyr, with the latter not being quite as rich and refined as either. Vocals were warm and rich, but as said before still with good highs and detail. The HP8 excels at being clear and detailed for a tubed design and I think the CMA600i may have even been a little warmer than it is. It certainly had good flow to it as well, and in the sense of warmth and flow it maybe had just a touch more bass slam, but my ears may have been playing tricks on me.

Like I said, I was unable to get the built in DAC driver to download and to work for me until later in my audition, so I only had a day to play with it. Once I was able to give it a brief listen comparing it to my PS Audio Perfectwave II in my system, to me it sounded a little bright and grainy.

I’m sure significant expense went into the CMA600i’s balanced operation, and built in DAC, so for my SE purposes, if I were to upgrade I would rather get an amp that put more of that expense into the SE design. Having said that, I would be happy with it as my main amp because it just had great timber, flow, dynamics, detail and naturalness for a SS design, and I enjoyed my time with this great amp.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,397 of 20,536
nice impressions. i have tried the cma600i previously but not with the utopia. i liked what i heard and thought that it was a solidly built, reasonably priced dac/head-amp/pre-amp option.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #5,398 of 20,536
Just wanna share my Utopia impressions:

really like Utopia, after listening from HD800 and HD800S, to lcd 4 and the Abyss

I was shocked when I first auditioned these on a focal retailer shop.. wasn't expecting it would sound this good. soundstage wise for me the HD800S was bigger but different in pinpointing instruments. vocals for me has a very nice timbre and sounded natural to me.. highs were very smooth and not fatiguing at all. bass was quantity was ample (and better than HD800S for me). the most surprising was how easy was it to drive.

right now, i'm using PS audio cables with it as my stock cable is under repair, i asked my friend to have the cables shorten to 5ft.

i won't say they are better but prefer them than the lcd 4 and a bit to the Abyss (still the bass on the Abyss is in another league for me but not enough for me to like them over utopia)

using Chord TT to drive these and it can also drive the Abyss as well (wasn;t expecting it too)and i was also able to test it with Audeze Deckard.

the Abyss for me sounded more effortless in throwing the details especially the highs, mid bass kinda lacking body for me.

the PS audio cables on the utopia makes the presentation a little more upfront, with some added mids (bass thump) but the stock has more details to give.

comfort wise, the abyss had my top head kinda itchy and hurt a bit after 20mins of listening. while on the utopia, it's lighter but need to take them off and on again after some time

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,399 of 20,536
I have a sense that the Utopia (and the Elear) after some time (say a few hours) sound more open, transparent and effortless. Can it be true? Is it my idea?

The day I got the Elear I had the chance to compare mine with one that had several hundred hours on. The differences were obvious. However, in this case I don't have a second utopia to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back