Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #4,651 of 20,644
My Utopia just failed. Bought them at the end of the 2016.

Wondering if there have been any other failures recently. Can't seem to search within a thread on this new format.

Good thing I bought them with a warranty.

You should be in immediate contact with your dealer.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 27, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #4,652 of 20,644
Dead driver?

Yes, dead driver.

Just happened out of the blue last night.

I've contacted the dealer. Luckily this is under warranty.

First Audeze, now this! The LCD-3s I had originally failed for the original owner, then the replacement failed for me.

I had to pay Audeze $500 to replace it. Only way to go with these high end headphones is to have a warranty.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #4,653 of 20,644
Only way to go with these high end headphones is to have a warranty.

Yup, or don't be the first one on the block to have the new shiny. Let everyone else beta test the new design.

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,656 of 20,644
DD97FF80-E277-4384-8767-F80A95B60C4B.png

So yeah Focal Clears are a thing.

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #4,658 of 20,644

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.​

Focal, MrSpeakers, Audeze, ZMF Headphones, beyerdynamic, 64 Audio, NAD, and PSB will all reveal new headphones at CanJam @ RMAF 2017, happening October 6-8, 2017 in Denver, Colorado. There will be more new products -- headphones, amps, DACs, even equalizers and the first Musical Signal Processor -- shown for the first time at CanJam @ RMAF than any CanJam previously, and that's why the is the longest single CanJam Preview Video we've ever made.

The 2017 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest takes place October 6th through October 8th, 2017, at the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel in Denver.

CanJam @ RMAF 2017 Preview Video - Head-Fi TV - produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,660 of 20,644
Just got the Utopia. Pretty awesome stuff. Anyone feel Hugo will do Utopia justice? Current best DAC/Amp is Centrance M8 which isn't bad, but I feel I'm not doing Utopia justice. I don't want a huge desktop setup. I prefer transportable setup.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,661 of 20,644

So yeah Focal Clears are a thing.

hmm, looks quite nice, I still prefer black/darker colour though.

Looks like an upgraded elear, i don't think this product will take compete on the utopia yet (that will probably be next year), otherwise they would have made a brand new design for the looks to make a point that it is the flagship, this is more like the HD800S to HD800 I think.

Based on the name, maybe this is meant to fix the upper mids dips that some people does not like on the elear or maybe other weakness too like soundstage, and probably a little bit more emphasis to the mids compared to the old elear with increase resolution etc2.
Pricing will probably be in the middle of Elear and Utopia.

btw that episode was a long one, i skipped everything that talks about measurement equipment.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #4,663 of 20,644
Just got the Utopia. Pretty awesome stuff. Anyone feel Hugo will do Utopia justice? Current best DAC/Amp is Centrance M8 which isn't bad, but I feel I'm not doing Utopia justice. I don't want a huge desktop setup. I prefer transportable setup.

I’ve been using Utopias with Hugo 2 and couldn’t be happier.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #4,664 of 20,644

The utopia is easy to drive, personally I find hi-end DAPs to be strong enough to drive the Utopia and it sounds excellent. I tried the X7 II with the Utopia and it's an excellent combo, it's all-in-one too so if you want the best simplicity, this kind of set up is the way to go, If what you mean is to drive the Utopia as best as possible to extract every single capability it can do in transportable world then go with hugo 2, which is probably the best transportable source right now, but I suggest you audtion first.

I still think that desktop class DAC is the still the solution for performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back