Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,412 of 20,602
That is nothing strange with super resolving and accurate Headphones, you will even observe it more accurately out of SR009 Stax :)

LOL true! I was thinking about Stax, but needing and finding space for a BHSE amp pretty much shut that option down for me.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,413 of 20,602
Mystery solved! - turns out that on certain albums, there are instruments that are mixed primarily to one channel and are playing in the mid frequencies. When combined with mid frequency vocals, my prior headphones were merging the 2 and pulling the vocals off center. Listening to the same albums with Utopias, I get more clear separation and the vocals stay centered. As to why it always seemed to shift left, I think it's just coincidence that the specific albums chose to pan mid frequency instruments to the left and lower bass to the right.
I was noticing this today as well when listening to some Tidal "masters" playlists - most of the tracks are mixed so that the instrument output levels are much higher on the left channel. I use a McIntosh DAC, so this could be seen clearly on the output meters. Although the vocals are centered, the output levels on the right channel are ~20 dB less than the left. That doesn't seem to be the case with the 44.1 kHz Tidal files..... maybe something about the way they are remastering the files for MQA?

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #4,414 of 20,602
I took advantage of the Utopia discount and ordered a new pair today from a brick and mortar store in Manhattan. The dealer told me that warranty is 5 years. I will probably have them at the end of next week.

I am about one year into this hobby. I have the Elear which I like a lot. However, while I enjoy the Elear's bass boost in some cases, I generally prefer a more neutral tonality. I have heard the Utopia a few times at local gatherings and the NYC canjam and I loved its speed, transparency and overall tonality. Only in one case when the Utopia was paired with a headamp mk2 I found the the pairing a bit too bright for me. I have a chord mojo for now, which, although good, won't bring the best out of the Utopia or Elear.

So...I will pretend I am cool about it and don't care that much when I get my hands on my Utopia .

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #4,415 of 20,602
I took advantage of the Utopia discount and ordered a new pair today from a brick and mortar store in Manhattan. The dealer told me that warranty is 5 years. I will probably have them at the end of next week.

I am about one year into this hobby. I have the Elear which I like a lot. However, while I enjoy the Elear's bass boost in some cases, I generally prefer a more neutral tonality. I have heard the Utopia a few times at local gatherings and the NYC canjam and I loved its speed, transparency and overall tonality. Only in one case when the Utopia was paired with a headamp mk2 I found the the pairing a bit too bright for me. I have a chord mojo for now, which, although good, won't bring the best out of the Utopia or Elear.

So...I will pretend I am cool about it and don't care that much when I get my hands on my Utopia .

Congratulations. Welcome to Utopia Club. Hope, you will enjoy.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,416 of 20,602

I don't have the Headamp mk2, but I can share my experience with other things and the Mojo.

I bought a Elear to replace my Oppo PM-2 as the hps I take with me to work everyday.
At the beginning, compared to the Utopia, I was disappointed by the Elear ( e.g. if connected to the ifi ican pro or to the AK240) as it is not so neutral but on the darker side. But it all changed when I connected the Elear to the Mojo ( which so far I didn't like and was hardly using ), which is also dark and off-neutrality: this is a great pairing, fit, and this darkening has the advantage that you can listen to high-pitched metal during most of the day without getting tired. And still enjoy such fantastic controled and detailed super dynamic punch, slam, you can reduce your coffee consumption...
(and then there is no going back to planar magnetic headphones )

So reassuring you: I think the Mojo will be fine for your Elear, but your Utopia indeed would deserve better. I am amping the Utopia with the Ifi ican pro and will buy the RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC to replace the ifi iDSD micro DAC ( unless the too long awaited iDSD Pro comes out very soon ) for my Utopia.

enjoy your audio gear,
bidn

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #4,417 of 20,602
I don't have the Headamp mk2, but I can share my experience with other things and the Mojo.

I bought a Elear to replace my Oppo PM-2 as the hps I take with me to work everyday.
At the beginning, compared to the Utopia, I was disappointed by the Elear ( e.g. if connected to the ifi ican pro or to the AK240) as it is not so neutral but on the darker side. But it all changed when I connected the Elear to the Mojo ( which so far I didn't like and was hardly using ), which is also dark and off-neutrality: this is a great pairing, fit, and this darkening has the advantage that you can listen to high-pitched metal during most of the day without getting tired. And still enjoy such fantastic controled and detailed super dynamic punch, slam, you can reduce your coffee consumption...
(and then there is no going back to planar magnetic headphones )

So reassuring you: I think the Mojo will be fine for your Elear, but your Utopia indeed would deserve better. I am amping the Utopia with the Ifi ican pro and will buy the RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC to replace the ifi iDSD micro DAC ( unless the too long awaited iDSD Pro comes out very soon ) for my Utopia.

enjoy your audio gear,
bidn
Excited to be part of the Utopia Club. Thanks meomap.

I have tried the ifi can pro with the Utopia and mojo as the dac. Compared to mojo alone the ifi added depth and layering and the feeling of being there. Mojo was congested and intimate in comparison. These are very quick impressions after a couple of songs (Iron Maiden, live in Rio, Tidal). The Utopia was brand new of of the box and there was a bit noisy around me but...definitely the ifi pro showed me that there is a lot more to the mojo. It will probably take me a few months to settle on DAC/amp combination for the Utopia.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #4,418 of 20,602
Excited to be part of the Utopia Club. Thanks meomap.

I have tried the ifi can pro with the Utopia and mojo as the dac. Compared to mojo alone the ifi added depth and layering and the feeling of being there. Mojo was congested and intimate in comparison. These are very quick impressions after a couple of songs (Iron Maiden, live in Rio, Tidal). The Utopia was brand new of of the box and there was a bit noisy around me but...definitely the ifi pro showed me that there is a lot more to the mojo. It will probably take me a few months to settle on DAC/amp combination for the Utopia.

Used WA6SE as tube amp for Utopia.
Used Esoteric k05 as source and dac.
Later, change to ALO Studio Six, a lot more open for Utopia.
Been using qp1r and DX200 as source.
Sometimes I listen to vinyl with Utopia, excellent.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,419 of 20,602
Used WA6SE as tube amp for Utopia.
Used Esoteric k05 as source and dac.
Later, change to ALO Studio Six, a lot more open for Utopia.
Been using qp1r and DX200 as source.
Sometimes I listen to vinyl with Utopia, excellent.

In terms of soundstage and based on what I read, Utopia seems to pair a lot better with some select amps. Currawong on his YouTube review also says that ALO Studio Six makes his utopia very open and not lacking in soundstage. I have read similar things about Pass Labs HPA-1. However, most of the reviewers/headfiers including Tyll for example will say that soundstage size is not one of Utopia’s strengths and in some cases that the soundstage is rather small. Not that soundstage is the number one characteristic in a headphone for me but it is good to hear that Utopia responds differently based on your amp.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #4,420 of 20,602
Listening to my Utopias with my Dana Cables Lanzuli Reference cable (review coming out this month) and my newly acquired Chord DAVE and I am floored! These headphones scale so very well and right now I am thoroughly impressed!

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4,422 of 20,602
I see that there is a sale for utopia at dealers until Sept 30. The price tag 2999 USD looks nice and attractive! Is it a good price to get one?
That's the lowest price I've seen from authorized dealers. But I've seen lower prices from people selling theirs. But buying second hand you have to worry about the warranty if they have been registered already. I don't believe the warranty on Focal products to be transferable.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,423 of 20,602
Yeah, I wonder why the discount. Perhaps they realized not everybody has that kind of money :)
Talking about DAC affinity, anybody here has tried their Utopias with Schiit's Yggy? If so, what are your impressions?

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #4,425 of 20,602
That's the lowest price I've seen from authorized dealers. But I've seen lower prices from people selling theirs. But buying second hand you have to worry about the warranty if they have been registered already. I don't believe the warranty on Focal products to be transferable.

Hi Slim1970,

Thank you a lot for your suggestion! I will try to find a dealer without trade-in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back