Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #4,441 of 20,554
I'm planning to make a new 4 pin cable for Utopia. Can anyone recommend a site to grab wire and LEMO connectors? I'd like to go with OCC copper or silver.

Must ship to Canada.

My new Utopia's are coming in a few days. I currently run Lavricables for my HE 1000 V2's I have Black Dragon V2 also. Has anyone used silver cables from Lavricables and Moon and what were your opinions about this pair? I'm also open to other cable suggestions. Lavricables for my length were 50% more in cost?

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #4,442 of 20,554
I'm planning to make a new 4 pin cable for Utopia. Can anyone recommend a site to grab wire and LEMO connectors? I'd like to go with OCC copper or silver.

Must ship to Canada.
Do you want to make a $50 cable or a $500 cable? You can get lemo connectors from allied or from aliexpress. Too many options for cable stuff to answer question without more info.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,443 of 20,554
Reading all these reviews made me go back to my Utopias and spend about an hour of non-stop music listening whilst swapping them back-and-forth with my TH900 in a desperate game of "spot the 1,000 differences". I'm starting to identify the colouration of the Fostex's more clearly now, and although I still like it most of the time, I feel like the Utopias are growing a bit more on me now. I am considering removing them from the sale ad I had placed and getting a balanced cable.

By the way, how would people in this thread describe the differences between the sound signature from the Utopias Vs that of the HIFIMAN HE 1000?

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #4,444 of 20,554
IMO the HE-1000 (V1) is not a high-end headphone and the $3000 price tag is a joke. Even my cheapo $999 HD 800 is a technically better headphone.

I haven't heard the V2 yet, but I highly doubt the terrible transients have been fixed as it uses the same drivers as the V1.

But ofcourse, best is to listen for yourself and see if you like it somehow.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #4,445 of 20,554
Do you want to make a $50 cable or a $500 cable? You can get lemo connectors from allied or from aliexpress. Too many options for cable stuff to answer question without more info.

How about a 50$ silver cable? :grin:
In all honesty I could probably strip some quad and braid that up, but part of me would like to find some decent silver.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,446 of 20,554
IMO te HE-1000 (V1) is not a high-end headphone and the $3000 price tag is a joke. Even my cheapo $999 HD 800 is a technically better headphone.

Not a high end headphone according to one person's opinion my friend. Your opinion may be shared on this thread but I (and many others) would disagree. Yes $3000 MSRP is expensive, but they can be had new for at least $500 cheaper than that if you look around and even well below that used. I can't stand the HD800, but wouldn't call it terrible, just not my cup of tea. I enjoyed the Utopias, but much prefer the HE1000 v2 and thus to me an extra $1000 for what I deem a less enjoyable headphone (for ME) could be considered a joke. I know this is the wrong thread to take this stance in. Not trying to start a war just saying maybe check your bias just a touch when offering insights to someone who may not share your tastes. They were simply asking for sound differences, not which was better. I'm happy you clearly like your Utopias :)

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #4,447 of 20,554
Not a high end headphone according to one person's opinion my friend. Your opinion may be shared on this thread but I (and many others) would disagree. Yes $3000 MSRP is expensive, but they can be had new for at least $500 cheaper than that if you look around and even well below that used. I can't stand the HD800, but wouldn't call it terrible, just not my cup of tea. I enjoyed the Utopias, but much prefer the HE1000 v2 and thus to me an extra $1000 for what I deem a less enjoyable headphone (for ME) could be considered a joke. I know this is the wrong thread to take this stance in. Not trying to start a war just saying maybe check your bias just a touch when offering insights to someone who may not share your tastes. They were simply asking for sound differences, not which was better. I'm happy you clearly like your Utopias :)

For me a high-end headphone should have high-end technical performance. That is the only criteria I have when I judge something to be high-end. When it is technically flawed, it is not high-end to me.

But for $500, the HE-1000 V1 is pretty good ofcourse.

I can understand if people don't like the HD 800 to listen to. However it's technical performance is very good.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #4,448 of 20,554
totally agree with you. In my case, i just couldn't love the HD800/s. I really tried to, but ultimately i tossed it for Utopia instead.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #4,449 of 20,554
Well, I have both the Utopia and 800 S. Does not make me toss away the Senns.
Anyway, do any of you notice the vocal on the Utopia can sound, for a lack of better word, bitchy. On many modern pop recording or most pop recordings in the 90s, where songs are processed to have that added treble, I can't enjoy the Utopia with them. It's like vocal being sibilant but without the "ssss". I don't find that with 800S.
Orchestra and unprocessed recording sounds very good on Utopia.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #4,450 of 20,554
Anyway, do any of you notice the vocal on the Utopia can sound, for a lack of better word, bitchy. On many modern pop recording or most pop recordings in the 90s, where songs are processed to have that added treble, I can't enjoy the Utopia with them. It's like vocal being sibilant but without the "ssss". I don't find that with 800S.

There is definitely something going on with the Utopia's for me that is not pleasant. I've been tweaking them via EqualizerAPO/Peace (a Windows system level equalizer), and what has helped for me is to turn down the treble above ~12K. Maybe I'm just sensitive to high frequencies, maybe other headphones I own roll off faster, but whatever the reasons, the Utopia assaults my ears/brain sometimes. Whether or not the treble level is accurate, I don't know, but ultimately all I care about is that I'm able (or not) to enjoy listening to music.

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #4,451 of 20,554
There is definitely something going on with the Utopia's for me that is not pleasant. I've been tweaking them via EqualizerAPO/Peace (a Windows system level equalizer), and what has helped for me is to turn down the treble above ~12K. Maybe I'm just sensitive to high frequencies, maybe other headphones I own roll off faster, but whatever the reasons, the Utopia assaults my ears/brain sometimes. Whether or not the treble level is accurate, I don't know, but ultimately all I care about is that I'm able (or not) to enjoy listening to music.
Hmmm i don't hear any treble peak or "sssss". It might be down to my amp. ZH1ES is very warm, smooth and lush.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,453 of 20,554
There is definitely something going on with the Utopia's for me that is not pleasant.

Me too. My description will be even though 800S is a brighter phone, the Utopia seems to be darker except for vocal. Vocal on Utopia is brighter than 800S. There is definitely something wonky about the frequency response, and I am guessing there are certain peak/s of death here and there.

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #4,454 of 20,554

Hmm, obviously we all hear a bit differently. I find the Utopia to be considerably less sibilant than the HD800S and prefer it clearly with vocals. Their treble peaks are at different frequencies, so this may be the reason for our different perception. The Utopia is so resolving without any emphasis on the "ssss".

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,455 of 20,554
Me too. My description will be even though 800S is a brighter phone, the Utopia seems to be darker except for vocal. Vocal on Utopia is brighter than 800S. There is definitely something wonky about the frequency response, and I am guessing there are certain peak/s of death here and there.

Yes, the Utopia is more present in the upper mids, the "presence" area, where the HD800S is recessed. This makes vocals sound brighter, but imho without being sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back