Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,211 of 20,624
I listened to the Utopia and Woo's WA8 combo at Can Jam and liked it a lot. I understand it is a portable unit but I find the quality is very good. Has anyone compare it to the desktop counterparts and has a feel as to how close they are?

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,212 of 20,624
I agree. The Focal Utopia does the full -90 degree and +90 degree just fine. The soundstage is as wide as other headphones like the HD 800 / HD 800 S when doing panning tests on a mixer.

I'm not sure what other headphones are doing exactly, but it seems to be down how the instruments are being placed within the soundstage that explains the perceived difference in soundstage. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #3,213 of 20,624
I agree. The Focal Utopia does the full -90 degree and +90 degree just fine. The soundstage is as wide as other headphones like the HD 800 / HD 800 S when doing panning tests on a mixer.

I'm not sure what other headphones are doing exactly, but it seems to be down how the instruments are being placed within the soundstage that explains the perceived difference in soundstage. 

I think the larger dynamic driver and the ring radiator design is why the hd800(S) has a larger sounding soundstage and slightly better imaging. Some people find the 800 soundstage too big and less intimate and too precise/analytical as the Utopia may be smaller soundstage it could be described as more personal and less "artificially" articulate.

It really comes down to taste and what you're looking for imo

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,214 of 20,624
That's why I have both HD800 and Utopia. No one phone to rule them all.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,215 of 20,624
That's why I have both HD800 and Utopia. No one phone to rule them all.

Yea that's the best way to do it. There's not one headphone that does everything right. That's why it's great to have choices in your collection and match what you want at the time with the right headphone. I have two headphones I use for musical enjoyment and relaxed listening and fun and I have two headphones I use for precision and accurate/critical listening. Not that they're doomed to that catagory as sometimes I'll use one for vice versa.. but general I keep the two in their respective catagory for my listening.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #3,216 of 20,624
  I don't get it either, my sound stage with Utopia is overly wide. 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left. Some walk around test discs show this readily.
What my Utopia lacks (500 hours in) is much if any front of stage to back of stage, it's all in my face (except properly recorded binaural stuff), but still glorious sounding.

This was my feeling on listening to the Utopias. I think they are excellent headphone and have a superb bass which is detailed and extended but not loose and wooly. The midrange feels natural and smooth. I wasn't quite so convinced about their treble and stage depth, but if these things are low on your priority list then they must be a nearly perfect compromise. Other compromises are available.....

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,217 of 20,624
I used to own a reference headphone with a very wide soundstage (can't say the can since we don't sell it.) even though it had a slight bass boost, I found it to be way too sterile. I think the. Biggest reason was the separation of the instruments, and how pulled arpart everything felt. I think the distance took away from musicality even though the bass boost was there... what I'm driving at, is that I am ok
with the sound stage size of the Utopia. I could go accept a larger one but it gets to a point it might loose musicality for me.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,218 of 20,624
Yea that's the best way to do it. There's not one headphone that does everything right. That's why it's great to have choices in your collection and match what you want at the time with the right headphone. I have two headphones I use for musical enjoyment and relaxed listening and fun and I have two headphones I use for precision and accurate/critical listening. Not that they're doomed to that catagory as sometimes I'll use one for vice versa.. but general I keep the two in their respective catagory for my listening.
I just want a pair of cans for outdoors and keep my focal indoors,saving up for something not sure what yet

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,219 of 20,624
Regarding soundstage. I was listening to Passion, Grace & Fire, one of Stereophile's 2017 Records to Die For.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/records-die-2017-page-2

Switching between the Koss ESP950, the T1/Crack, and the Utopia/Taurus, there is no doubt to me that the utopia has a different soundstage relative to these other cans and amp combinations. DAC for all three is a Bimby. the sound from the Utopia is "fuller" and possibly a little polite. 

For this album, I prefer the T1/Crack combo. I have a Mjolnir 2 coming, and I will try that with the Utopia, as well as some decent tubes.

No matter what, this album is incredible. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #3,220 of 20,624
Regarding soundstage. I was listening to Passion, Grace & Fire, one of Stereophile's 2017 Records to Die For.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/records-die-2017-page-2

Switching between the Koss ESP950, the T1/Crack, and the Utopia/Taurus, there is no doubt to me that the utopia has a different soundstage relative to these other cans and amp combinations. DAC for all three is a Bimby. the sound from the Utopia is "fuller" and possibly a little polite. 

For this album, I prefer the T1/Crack combo. I have a Mjolnir 2 coming, and I will try that with the Utopia, as well as some decent tubes.

No matter what, this album is incredible. 
I think this album is a load of bollocks mate, horses for courses but I just wanted to put my head in a vice and the world's strongest man to tighten it for me

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #3,222 of 20,624
Can someone please confirm an updated signature specifically in the lower frequency in the newer versions focal utopia's per the unconfirmed information at my disposal!!!

​I think that depends on the 'tightness of the vice'  
dt880smile.png

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #3,223 of 20,624
I think the larger dynamic driver and the ring radiator design is why the hd800(S) has a larger sounding soundstage and slightly better imaging. Some people find the 800 soundstage too big and less intimate and too precise/analytical as the Utopia may be smaller soundstage it could be described as more personal and less "artificially" articulate.

It really comes down to taste and what you're looking for imo

The HD 800 might have the slightly bigger soundstage, but the Focal Utopia has better imaging. It's easier to track instruments within the soundstage.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #3,224 of 20,624
Can someone please confirm an updated signature specifically in the lower frequency in the newer versions focal utopia's per the unconfirmed information at my disposal!!!

Did Focal change the sound signature in the Utopia since release ? I didnt see that happen - yet. I know Focal has asked the community for which changes the community want on the HP, but didnt know that they actually changed the sound signature of the can ?

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,225 of 20,624
Did Focal change the sound signature in the Utopia since release ? I didnt see that happen - yet. I know Focal has asked the community for which changes the community want on the HP, but didnt know that they actually changed the sound signature of the can ?

I've seen some people say that ones released later on had have more bass than the early models. I can't personally confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back