Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #3,196 of 20,644
I think if you hear the Focal Utopia with MrSpeakers Ether electrostatic pads you might change your mind :)

Soundstage becomes huge.

So far all I know is that the Elear pads increase bass which makes sense since it's different material partnered with the elimination of the mini pad holes.

But you're telling me the MrSpeakers Ether Electrostatic pads will increase sound stage? If so, by how much?

If it's more than noticeable I'll have to give it a try.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #3,197 of 20,644
  I think if you hear the Focal Utopia with MrSpeakers Ether electrostatic pads you might change your mind :)

Soundstage becomes huge.

Someone here posted that they don't fit properly?

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,198 of 20,644
So far all I know is that the Elear pads increase bass which makes sense since it's different material partnered with the elimination of the mini pad holes.

But you're telling me the MrSpeakers Ether Electrostatic pads will increase sound stage? If so, by how much?

If it's more than noticeable I'll have to give it a try.

Elear pads have a bigger (~2mm) opening than the Utopias, and increase the bass substantially and increases soundstage a tiny bit, and makes the sound a little darker. ES Pads have a similar effect, but the soundstage expands even more.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #3,201 of 20,644

Soundstage becomes huge.

Depth-wise or just width/height-wise?

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3,202 of 20,644
I'll give the Elear pads a try. Would love to have more sound stage and bass, have checked InnerFidelity and can confirm their measurements. For $150 however is quite steep. When did earpads get so pricey...

I would never attach my earpads with tape so the electrostatic pads is instantly eliminated for me.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,204 of 20,644
Are they still best in the market?

Probably the Orpheus 2 is the best in the market. But I have not heard them so I don't know.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,205 of 20,644
I'll give the Elear pads a try. Would love to have more sound stage and bass, have checked InnerFidelity and can confirm their measurements. For $150 however is quite steep. When did earpads get so pricey...

I would never attach my earpads with tape so the electrostatic pads is instantly eliminated for me.
hi-fi lounge in the UK told me the ear pads are 150 pound each and has questioned focal about the price,That is ridiculous for ear pads in my view

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,206 of 20,644
Are they still best in the market?

Assuming "they" refers to the Utopia, they are the best. As are the LCD-4, HE-1000v2, the best Stax. All depends on your preference.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #3,207 of 20,644
I tried mr speakers estat pads and didnt like the sound with the utopia: didnt like especially the bass that got weaker.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,208 of 20,644
I kinda rarely make any comments about changes from burn in despite carrying out the practice.

Unless I have two (or more) of the same units where one is burnt in and one isn't and can compare side-by-side, I've generally stayed away from commenting as I know I have a poor memory. I've been caught too many times where even just a day's of memory isn't accurate.

I still practice burn in though just in case if changes occur and at least for readers who do believe in it, the reviews I've done have catered for their concerns. Whilst for those who don't, well it's just waiting a little more time for a review rather than immediate out of the box impressions.

Anak, this is the most honest post I have read recently and I appreciate the unpretentious approach you take to this subject. Right or wrong, you have shown me that you do speak your mind.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,209 of 20,644
I tried mr speakers estat pads and didnt like the sound with the utopia: didnt like especially the bass that got weaker.
The search for an unrealistic or over wide sound stage fascinates me. I get that this search and preference exists but how it's become a popular thing to do is puzzling to me.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 15, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,210 of 20,644
I don't get it either, my sound stage with Utopia is overly wide. 90 degrees right, 90 degrees left. Some walk around test discs show this readily.
What my Utopia lacks (500 hours in) is much if any front of stage to back of stage, it's all in my face (except properly recorded binaural stuff), but still glorious sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back