Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 8, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,521 of 20,576
You aren't going to get a definitive answer. Also, you can't make the generalization you make in the first sentence.

Many that buy expensive cables claim they hear a sonic improvement. Many that don't buy expensive cables claim there is no scientific evidence that expensive cables are better. Balanced vs SE is dependent on the amp and headphones. Some companies like chord don't believe balanced is needed, and other companies take great stock is a fully balanced toplogogy.

so

You are just gong to get get folks riled-up and wanting to defend their opinions and choices. In other words, asking these questions are close to trolling. There are tons of discussions on these topics in this thread and others.

Well - it might be your opinion that asking those questions are close to trolling - sorry you feel that way however it is not the intent.

Just so you know where I am coming from  - my main listening is not headphones - only back on this forum after a 14 year absence -  but rather an Uber two channel Naim/Linn system.  And yes - I believe in cable difference as many from my world do - and I have a ridiculous amount invested in them as many others with Naim/Linn do.

Now do you want to hear some real Troll talk?  IMHO it is a FACT that cables make a difference.  I'm sure that will get the non believers riled up!  So the point of my questions about to cable or not were not to troll.

You did, however, make one good point.  

"Balanced vs SE is dependent on the amp and headphones"

And in fact one of the reasons I want to hear more about peoples Balanced vs unbalanced is because when I was at CanJam NY I had the opportunity to have a LONG conversation with the Focal people.  They were very receptive to talking once they found out I run a TOTL Naim system - as the two are partner companies and the Naim DAC was used to voice the Utopia and Elear.

They pretty much came out and said that the Utopia's will sound better balanced.

I am torn between two combo amp/DAC's - the new Sony TA and the upcoming Hugo2.  One is in the Balanced camp (Sony) while the other is not (Hugo2).
That is why I am curious and ask the questions I do

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,522 of 20,576
@buzzlulu, welcome back. Sorry about your wallet :)

I think Focal actual owns Naim, not just partners.

I recommend you not worry about balanced va SE and you research which amp will sound the best for you. The amp should determine balanced vs SE, not the other way around.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,523 of 20,576
@buzzlulu, welcome back. Sorry about your wallet :)

I think Focal actual owns Naim, not just partners.

I recommend you not worry about balanced va SE and you research which amp will sound the best for you. The amp should determine balanced vs SE, not the other way around.
Not exactly. Vervant owns Focal & Naim

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,525 of 20,576
Just ordered my Utopias! Can't wait until they arrive. I'll spend the time reading this entire thread, I'm sure.

Had to sell some stuff to make it happen, but I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it.

My main setup is a Mystique DAC and MicroZotl 2 amp, but I also have another room with just a Hugo. I hope it sounds good from the Hugo as well.

Now I just have to send my DHC Silver Complement in to be re-terminated....

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #2,527 of 20,576
Just ordered my Utopias! Can't wait until they arrive. I'll spend the time reading this entire thread, I'm sure.

Had to sell some stuff to make it happen, but I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it.

My main setup is a Mystique DAC and MicroZotl 2 amp, but I also have another room with just a Hugo. I hope it sounds good from the Hugo as well.

Now I just have to send my DHC Silver Complement in to be re-terminated....

congrats 
beerchug.gif

MicroZotl2 should be really a good match with Utopia!!!

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,529 of 20,576
Has anyone used an air duster on their Elear or Utopia?

Wondering if over time dust is going to impair headphone performance and the best way to clean the headphones.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #2,530 of 20,576
Has anyone used an air duster on their Elear or Utopia?

Wondering if over time dust is going to impair headphone performance and the best way to clean the headphones.

I would imagine that much like how a camera sensor cleans itself a headphone will generally shake dust off as it plays.

Dust has rarely proved an issue with any previous headphone so can't see why these would be any different.

I personally wouldn't put an air duster within 15 ft of a headphone. If you're concerned however you could always cover them when not in use.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #2,531 of 20,576
Yes That's what I do too. I wrap two surgical head caps over both drivers when they are not in use. And longer times of non-usage I keep them in the dry cabinet.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #2,533 of 20,576
To be so extreme, this left me wondering: are you living in a construction site? 

LOL Not really! I live in the comforts of an AC environment. Yet I am having an OCD to keep my gear as pristine as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,535 of 20,576
LOL Not really! I live in the comforts of an AC environment. Yet I am having an OCD to keep my gear as pristine as possible.

You do you man! Love the level of dedication. I have never heard of that before... I just put my cans in a case and call it a day. I want to get a nice carved wood stand but I don't want to expose them to any elements ha. I like that my headphones are "garage kept" and safe :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back