Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 5, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,711 of 20,582
Let's move on from this guys.

I for one love my Utopia and got to demo it first (as such my review) which eventually tipped me to buying. I've further sold off my most (all?) my other dynamic driver headphones (TH-900, HD800S, etc) to consolidate to the Utopia. The one set which the Utopia can't replace would be my Staxes.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,713 of 20,582
The sound of HPs are so personal and system dependent. Until recently, my go to HP was the LCD-4, but I would occasionally go to my HD-800 (no S) for a change (but I did this more often before the LCD-4 , when my everyday HP was the 3F). Anyhow, for me the brightness of the HD-800 was too much, especially when I had the LCD-4 to listen to. I thought about changing to the HD-800S, but by the the Focal Utopia (FU) was on the horizon and went with them.

At first I still preferred the LCD-4, as the FU was a bit bright and, at times, even stringent, even though a lot was good about them.  Then I changed the wiring loom of my system (interconnects, power cables, distributor strip, ground, etc) to a pretty expensive mid-range Nordost one. Big system overall sound improvement. Also a swap in my HP preferences with the change of system sound. The FU was now wonderful, no longer bright, just articulate, and the base pretty near perfect. Alternatively, the LCD-4 now sounded better as well, easy to listen to and great base, but in comparison to the FU, now IMO somewhat veiled by comparison in overall sound -- and this even applied to base articulation.

So can readily see why the variation in peoples' HPs perceptions, as everything. even for one individual, is so system dependent!  Who knows, my next system change may reverse again my HP preferences!

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,714 of 20,582
  The sound of HPs are so personal and system dependent. Until recently, my go to HP was the LCD-4, but I would occasionally go to my HD-800 (no S) for a change (but I did this more often before the LCD-4 , when my everyday HP was the 3F). Anyhow, for me the brightness of the HD-800 was too much, especially when I had the LCD-4 to listen to. I thought about changing to the HD-800S, but by the the Focal Utopia (FU) was on the horizon and went with them.

At first I still preferred the LCD-4, as the FU was a bit bright and, at times, even stringent, even though a lot was good about them.  Then I changed the wiring loom of my system (interconnects, power cables, distributor strip, ground, etc) to a pretty expensive mid-range Nordost one. Big system overall sound improvement. Also a swap in my HP preferences with the change of system sound. The FU was now wonderful, no longer bright, just articulate, and the base pretty near perfect. Alternatively, the LCD-4 now sounded better as well, easy to listen to and great base, but in comparison to the FU, now IMO somewhat veiled by comparison in overall sound -- and this even applied to base articulation.

So can readily see why the variation in peoples' HPs perceptions, as everything. even for one individual, is so system dependent!  Who knows, my next system change may reverse again my HP preferences!

You make a very good point.

I run my Utopias of the following:

PC->Yggy->LAu
CAD USB Cable
DHC Spore 4 Fusion Interconnects and HP Cable
And some high quality power cables for source and amp. (cant remember brand now)

Burn in also helps, out of the box the utopias sounded good, but after burn in, they sounded reallly really delicious.

I've rarely reached for my HEK/Abyss since the Utopias hit their stride.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #1,715 of 20,582

Care to share any impressions of the Utopia vs SR-007 / SR-009? And which electrostatic amp are you using?

My comparisons are actually in my Utopia review in my sig. I have the Eddie Current Electra.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,716 of 20,582

As mentioned in the review, it's more my listening preference and my ears. The review is not really to agree with or disagree with since everyone hears differently, there's no wrong or right here. There's just wrong or right for yourself.

Agree 100% there is no right or wrong to personal preference.

However, preferences aside, there are still such things as low distortion, accuracy and natural, realistic tonal balance.
IMO the Utopia is for those who have moved beyond stylised sound and want to hear a natural and accurate rendering of their music.
The accurate tonal balance, clarity and transient precision of the Utopia also happens to make it suitable for any genre of music - whether that be electronic, pop, jazz, classical etc.
For me, this makes the Utopias a supremely 'musical' and enjoyable listening experience.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,717 of 20,582
The FU is a superb HP,the LCD-4 is superb as well and the great thing is they are so dramatically different so if you can swing the cash you really have 2 completely different listening experiences...I tend to listen to jazz with my FU and rock and blues with my LCD-4 but both sound great with anything

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,720 of 20,582
I received my Utopia yesterday. It's early but I'm really enjoying what this headphone brings to the table. I can see why some people wouldn't like the sound stage but espersonally I enjoy the more intimate presentation. More listening is required 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,721 of 20,582
  I received my Utopia yesterday. It's early but I'm really enjoying what this headphone brings to the table. I can see why some people wouldn't like the sound stage but espersonally I enjoy the more intimate presentation. More listening is required 
biggrin.gif

I would say give it at least 2 weeks of burn you will start hear the stage open up and the bass gets tighter. Did a comparison with the store demo and my set when i just got it and it clearly sounds different. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,722 of 20,582
just now trying out for the first time the new Tidal Masters (96kHz/24bit).  thru Meridian Explorer 2 then Moon Neo 430 -> balanced Black Dragons -> Focal Utopia.

dear heavenly father.... 
atsmile.gif

*cue single tear running down cheek*

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,723 of 20,582
  just now trying out for the first time the new Tidal Masters (96kHz/24bit).  thru Moon Neo 430 -> balanced Black Dragons -> Focal Utopia.

dear heavenly father.... 
atsmile.gif

*cue single tear running down cheek*

The 430 is truly a work of art....makes everything sound great

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,724 of 20,582
  The 430 is truly a work of art....makes everything sound great

i sit here listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (one of the initial Masters releases) on this set-up and it feels like the first time again.  when in reality it must be the 1,000th.

what a time to be a music-lover, and audiophile.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #1,725 of 20,582
Picked-up adapters so I could go balanced, I can confirm I certainly prefer the Utopia balanced. I'll order up a dedicated balanced cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back