Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #13,219 of 20,559
Yepp. Mine was from early/mid 2020, and my trader said he never had problems with any Utopia, until he got a certain shipment.
I've got to say that this has shaken my confidence in these headphones now. Fearing any day from now onwards that it's going to fail on me again, just like it did for you. How long was it from the first failure to the second one and was it the same driver ?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #13,222 of 20,559
I've got to say that this has shaken my confidence in these headphones now. Fearing any day from now onwards that it's going to fail on me again, just like it did for you. How long was it from the first failure to the second one and was it the same driver ?
that's unfortunate. if that's how ownership of the utopia was making me feel then I'd be better off without it.
I was starting to feel the same but decided to give Focal a chance but if they fail a 2nd time then Focal won't get a 3rd chance.

I am OK now. I was reassured that my two failing drivers were from the same batch, and that it would not happen again, and that my replacement pair was specially checked (time will tell). My two units failed in a rather short time period of around 6-8 weeks. At the beginning, I was furious but Focal and my trader handled it very nicely, and I felt they were truly sorry.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #13,223 of 20,559
I was starting to feel the same but decided to give Focal a chance but if they fail a 2nd time then Focal won't get a 3rd chance.
I am on my third pairs(tries) now depends whether they fix the failed unit or replace with a brand new unit. The repaired unit will be delivered to me tomorrow so I will know for sure. The second one failed about a month ago. I contacted Focal warranty department and they handle my request quickly. Their customer service I said is pretty good so it makes my second warrant request repair less stressful. However I am extremely disappointed that after three years the second unit failed also.

I purchased my very first Utopia back at the end of 2016 and within 6 months, one of the channel failed. Sent in the unit for repair in summer 2017 and get a brand new unit with different S/N # back. Has been working fine until last month when left channel failed. In both cases I am lucky that I am covered under warranty.

I really like Utopia a lots and would hope it can last longer....But if it fails again and beyond warranty period, I am not sure I can convince myself for another pair given its reliability issue...at least for my personal experience.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #13,224 of 20,559
I'm guessing most of the failures happen within a somewhat small window after purchase? Anyone had a pair make it through years of use and then up and die?

Mine are well past the three year mark with 1,000+ hours and have never given me a reason to doubt their longevity. If they make it past the five year mark and then die I guess I'll explore my options at that point.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #13,227 of 20,559
I just got an e-mail back from SCV asking if both drivers are replaced, even though only one has failed....

The drivers both replaced as they are matched at the factory during testing after production.
Regards Nigel

SCV Distribution
Unit C1 Belcon Industrial Estate
Geddings Road
Hoddesdon
Hertfordshire
EN11 0NT

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #13,229 of 20,559
Just removed the pads and I have the goop issue. I am not sure what is the approved method to correct it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back