Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #13,201 of 20,593
Did yours fail as well ? Same problem ?
Mine bought in June, it is really sad....
I switch to HD800, and they are simply not in the same league.
Just one day I already start to miss utopia's singing

Oh dear, sounds waaay too similar. Expect it to be fixed, but with some time without the utopia. Good luck.

you might remember that I had the same type of failure twice in a row. The good news is that I had no warranty issues at all. Seeing the time when you bought your utopias, they might have been from the same batch.

PS: After this drama, all working now. Hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #13,206 of 20,593
Yes, only the right channel was dead when I picked up one day to use. No warning. They worked and the next time the right channel did not. 4-5 weeks for repair.
Spoke to a man at SCV (UK Focal distributor ) and he said once they received them they will be repaired and shipped back out the same day. I posted them today, they should get them tomorrow so i should get them Monday......we'll see.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #13,207 of 20,593
Spoke to a man at SCV (UK Focal distributor ) and he said once they received them they will be repaired and shipped back out the same day. I posted them today, they should get them tomorrow so i should get them Monday......we'll see.

Mine first had to go to Focal US in New York. There they get combined with other Focal products going to Canada for repair. I think it goes in reverse when the repair is done but you also have to add in the go back to the dealer who then sends them out to you. They spend a lot of time in shipping 😫

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #13,209 of 20,593
I cut the dealer out and went straight to the distributor, which is what the dealer would’ve done anyway, but the dealer was notified on what’s going on.
I bought mine direct from distributor. Same company.

Nov 21, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #13,210 of 20,593
Mine first had to go to Focal US in New York. There they get combined with other Focal products going to Canada for repair. I think it goes in reverse when the repair is done but you also have to add in the go back to the dealer who then sends them out to you. They spend a lot of time in shipping 😫
Focal headphones get repaired in Canada?

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #13,212 of 20,593
Anybody have this happen? Goopy stuff coming out of the pads...
Goopy pads.jpg

Nov 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #13,213 of 20,593
Here's something I wanted to raise for other owners' consideration, seeing how many Utopias out there must be going on 2-3+ years in age:

When I recently popped out my old pads in order to replace them with some new ones, I discovered a sticky/gooey substance on the exposed inside part of the drivers, around the flat ring-shaped surface that makes contact with the pads. This was easy enough to rub off.

The same sticky stuff was on the flat inside surface of the outgoing, original pads. It kind of looks like oil or grease in the pic:

I proceeded to try to rub this out, too, as described above. Turns out the sticky substance is coming from the pads themselves, and I ended up causing this (mostly) cosmetic damage:

The flat ring-shaped surface there seems like it's just regular hard plastic, but on closer inspection, is slightly soft to the touch. And possibly degrades over time, turning sticky (??).

My current thinking is that this isn't unique to my pads, as a friend of mine had discovered the sticky stuff on his old pair as well, and had no clue where it had come from.

[EDIT] Anecdotally, my first pair of Utopias (which I used throughout the year 2018 before I sold them) never showed any residue, and I remember pulling out the pads on two or three occasions.

Anyway, others may want to give their pads/drivers a quick inspection as well...
Anybody have this happen? Goopy stuff coming out of the pads...
Goopy pads.jpg
Here’s an earlier post with a similar/same issue. Hope that helps. It’s the only other similar post I’ve seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back