Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #13,171 of 20,576
Has there been a recent firmware update ? Could you tell what the firmware update number is ? Mine is 01.01.08 I have to turn mine on and off a couple of times (not good for electronics) to make it connect to a computer or a DAP either with USB or Toslink. It's a bug that Focal know about and are supposed to be sorting it.
I don't have Arche but I heard before that was a known issue of Arche.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #13,172 of 20,576
Has there been a recent firmware update ? Could you tell what the firmware update number is ? Mine is 01.01.08 I have to turn mine on and off a couple of times (not good for electronics) to make it connect to a computer or a DAP either with USB or Toslink. It's a bug that Focal know about and are supposed to be sorting it.
I have discovered that the connection sequence is important. The first step is to turn on the Arche first and wait until the default screen appears before connecting a DAP with USB. Otherwise connections are random and work sometimes but not others. Obviously that’s a bug and they are aware of it but for now I can live with it.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #13,173 of 20,576
Speaking of pads, as Focal's original pads are forbiddingly expensive (around USD 400 where I live), has anyone tried replacement pads from Dekoni?
https://dekoniaudio.com/filter/?product_cat=utopia&product_cat=utopia

They seem nice. Actually I ordered a pair for my LCD X but have yet to receive it. It'd be great if we can have some reasonable alternatives.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #13,174 of 20,576
Speaking of pads, as Focal's original pads are forbiddingly expensive (around USD 400 where I live), has anyone tried replacement pads from Dekoni?

They seem nice. Actually I ordered a pair for my LCD X but have yet to receive it. It'd be great if we can have some reasonable alternatives.
Focal Utopia replacement pads are available from Moon Audio and their current pricing is $249 a pair. Still expensive but better than $400!
https://www.moon-audio.com/focal-utopia-headphones-earpads-pair.html

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #13,175 of 20,576
It took a bit work to get the microRendu working with the Arche, but after updating the Arche firmware and setting it up as a Custom DAC on the microRend, it works perfectly, but limited to only to sample rate 192khz. Im quite positively surprised with just how good the Arch/Utopias sounds. At some point I will try the Arche just as an amp with my Berkeley Reference DAC. The Berkeley DAC surely was better than the Sony. That said, the Utopias on the Arche are extremely synergistic. Truly a match.
I would love to read your comparison to the Berkeley Reference. Tks.

Nov 15, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #13,176 of 20,576
I just got Utopia while ago. It sounds awesome as expected but originally there was a slight channel imbalance. I measured it to be sure. There was indeed measured imbalance starting from 200hz. It was nothing drastic mostly it was only 1db but would go allmost to 3db in the higher frequencies.

Because bass was unaffected I thought it could not be an issue with seal/pads being installed wrong but I took them out anyway.

IMG_20201115_215009.jpg

On the left pad it can be seen that the imprint does not go full circle. So obviously the pad was not in place properly. I put the pads back in reversed cups and channel imbalance was gone! :)

Nothing was suggesting poor pad installation, it was well in place and looked as it should.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #13,177 of 20,576

I tried the fenestrages lambskin — didn’t like them:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/post-14485897

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #13,178 of 20,576
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #13,179 of 20,576
Thanks for your feedback... better stick with stock then.
Just FYI, Elex pads are better, sound-wise, although nowhere near as nice feeling-wise vs stock.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #13,180 of 20,576
I may have mentioned this before but with the issue on the current firmware, to the Focal Arche crew - I use the Sabrent HB-UM43 USB hub which has switches on it. A quick on and off flick on the USB switch for the port it is plugged into and the Arche begins to work. No need to mess with powering up and down the Arche or physically going to the back of the Arche to sever the USB connection. Only £10 in the UK to resolve this frustrating headache.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #13,181 of 20,576
I have discovered that the connection sequence is important. The first step is to turn on the Arche first and wait until the default screen appears before connecting a DAP with USB. Otherwise connections are random and work sometimes but not others. Obviously that’s a bug and they are aware of it but for now I can live with it.
Trust me, i've all different all different sequences (you and me have had this conversation before) and it doesn't work first time. I think maybe it came on twice first time since i've had it (August).

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #13,182 of 20,576
I may have mentioned this before but with the issue on the current firmware, to the Focal Arche crew - I use the Sabrent HB-UM43 USB hub which has switches on it. A quick on and off flick on the USB switch for the port it is plugged into and the Arche begins to work. No need to mess with powering up and down the Arche or physically going to the back of the Arche to sever the USB connection. Only £10 in the UK to resolve this frustrating headache.
I've got about four different hubs and whether i use them or not, it's the same... doesn't connect first time. I can connect or disconnect easily as the same as the hub you mention but doesn't make any difference.

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #13,184 of 20,576
The Berkeley is a better DAC, but it’s 10x the price, plus an additional device if you want USB. So it should be better. There is an added silence between notes on the Berkeley, you hear more detail, but with no harshness at all.
Thank you. How do you figure 10X the price? I thought they were within a few thousand of each other? I realize no headphone amp on the Berkeley. Tks.

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #13,185 of 20,576
The Berkeley is a better DAC, but it’s 10x the price, plus an additional device if you want USB. So it should be better. There is an added silence between notes on the Berkeley, you hear more detail, but with no harshness at all.
Per my prior update the Berkeley Ref 3 lists for $22k vs list of $17,500 for the Bartok, no?

I was hoping Bartok might match it in sound quality. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back